Help with "Couldn't Use '(unknown)'; File Already in Use" error

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Ian U, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. Ian U

    Ian U Guest

    Hello,
    I'm looking for a "Set Up Your Permissions 101" in response to the above
    error, which I get on a local IIS5.1 installation, when I'm trying to view
    Live Data / preview an ASP file from within Dreamweaver MX.

    I get the above error, which is 'dealt with' in
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;174943 , but I'm not
    wise enough to be sure about the correct process for ensuring that the
    IUSR_<machinename> account has enough permissions to access the database.

    For what it's worth:
    The database is outside of \inetpub\wwwroot
    My local XP user (the one I'm logged in as) has Admin permissions
    It's doing my head in!

    Could someone be v nice and give me a step by step on this... as far as I
    can tell the documentation isn't explicit about where I should be making the
    changes.

    Ta

    i.

    Ian U, Sep 23, 2004

  2. "Ian U" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I'm looking for a "Set Up Your Permissions 101" in response to the above
    > error, which I get on a local IIS5.1 installation, when I'm trying to view
    > Live Data / preview an ASP file from within Dreamweaver MX.
    >
    > I get the above error, which is 'dealt with' in
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;174943 , but I'm
    > not
    > wise enough to be sure about the correct process for ensuring that the
    > IUSR_<machinename> account has enough permissions to access the database.
    >
    > For what it's worth:
    > The database is outside of \inetpub\wwwroot
    > My local XP user (the one I'm logged in as) has Admin permissions
    > It's doing my head in!
    >
    > Could someone be v nice and give me a step by step on this... as far as I
    > can tell the documentation isn't explicit about where I should be making
    > the
    > changes.

    This article is talking about NTFS file and folder permissions. Either IUSR
    or your authenticated user/group needs "Change" permissions to the folder in
    whihc your MDB is stored.

    As a "best practice", do not put the database file under your web root.

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Sep 23, 2004

  3. Ian U wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'm looking for a "Set Up Your Permissions 101" in response to the
    > above error, which I get on a local IIS5.1 installation, when I'm
    > trying to view Live Data / preview an ASP file from within
    > Dreamweaver MX.
    >
    > I get the above error, which is 'dealt with' in
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;174943 , but
    > I'm not wise enough to be sure about the correct process for ensuring
    > that the IUSR_<machinename> account has enough permissions to access
    > the database.
    >
    > For what it's worth:
    > The database is outside of \inetpub\wwwroot
    > My local XP user (the one I'm logged in as) has Admin permissions

    This is not relevant

    > It's doing my head in!
    >
    > Could someone be v nice and give me a step by step on this... as far
    > as I can tell the documentation isn't explicit about where I should
    > be making the changes.

    This article describes the process:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2205

    For an Access database, you have to assign read/write permissions for the
    folder containing the database to all users of the database, including the
    IUSR account (which usually shows up in the XP Security dialog as "Internet
    Guest Account")

    There are other articles about assigning permissions on the
    www.microsoft.com site in the Windows XP section.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Sep 23, 2004
  4. Ian U

    Ian U Guest

    Re: Help with "Couldn't Use '(unknown)'; File Already in Use" erro

    Thanks Tom!

    What I'm looking for is a "hand holding" through the process by which I can
    achieve this... I can see the Windows folder the database is in, but can't
    manage to get the iusr_<machine-name> to have control over it...

    I'm starting from scratch on all of this, so my middle name's 'newbie'...
    I'm not sure if it should be changed within the database, the Windows
    filesystem, in the IIS Admin tool, or what.

    As they say in the comment about 'idiot proof' - I *am* the better idiot in
    this area :-\

    Having said that, as I indicated, my database isn't in the web root, so I
    guess that's something...

    Many thanks

    i.

    Ian U, Sep 23, 2004
  5. Ian U

    Ian U Guest

    Re: Help with "Couldn't Use '(unknown)'; File Already in Use" erro

    Bob!

    Perfect!

    Thank you very much :)

    Have a good day!