Help with "Couldn't Use '(unknown)'; File Already in Use" error

Ian U

Hello,
I'm looking for a "Set Up Your Permissions 101" in response to the above
error, which I get on a local IIS5.1 installation, when I'm trying to view
Live Data / preview an ASP file from within Dreamweaver MX.

I get the above error, which is 'dealt with' in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;174943 , but I'm not
wise enough to be sure about the correct process for ensuring that the
IUSR_<machinename> account has enough permissions to access the database.

For what it's worth:
The database is outside of \inetpub\wwwroot
My local XP user (the one I'm logged in as) has Admin permissions
It's doing my head in!

Could someone be v nice and give me a step by step on this... as far as I
can tell the documentation isn't explicit about where I should be making the
changes.

Ta

i.

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

Ian U said:
[...]

This article is talking about NTFS file and folder permissions. Either IUSR
or your authenticated user/group needs "Change" permissions to the folder in
whihc your MDB is stored.

As a "best practice", do not put the database file under your web root.

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Ian said:
Hello,
I'm looking for a "Set Up Your Permissions 101" in response to the
above error, which I get on a local IIS5.1 installation, when I'm
trying to view Live Data / preview an ASP file from within
Dreamweaver MX.

I get the above error, which is 'dealt with' in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;174943 , but
I'm not wise enough to be sure about the correct process for ensuring
that the IUSR_<machinename> account has enough permissions to access
the database.

For what it's worth:
The database is outside of \inetpub\wwwroot
My local XP user (the one I'm logged in as) has Admin permissions

This is not relevant
It's doing my head in!

Could someone be v nice and give me a step by step on this... as far
as I can tell the documentation isn't explicit about where I should
be making the changes.

This article describes the process:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2205

For an Access database, you have to assign read/write permissions for the
folder containing the database to all users of the database, including the
IUSR account (which usually shows up in the XP Security dialog as "Internet
Guest Account")

There are other articles about assigning permissions on the
www.microsoft.com site in the Windows XP section.

Bob Barrows

Ian U

Thanks Tom!

What I'm looking for is a "hand holding" through the process by which I can
achieve this... I can see the Windows folder the database is in, but can't
manage to get the iusr_<machine-name> to have control over it...

I'm starting from scratch on all of this, so my middle name's 'newbie'...
I'm not sure if it should be changed within the database, the Windows
filesystem, in the IIS Admin tool, or what.

As they say in the comment about 'idiot proof' - I *am* the better idiot in
this area :-\

Having said that, as I indicated, my database isn't in the web root, so I
guess that's something...

Many thanks

i.