    http://www.executivesoul.com/test_5_about_usNEW_6.html

    Can anyone help?

    Many thanks!
    silkmountain, Oct 5, 2006

  2. David Dorward, Oct 5, 2006

  3. silkmountain

    silkmountain Guest

    Thanks -- I tried that site, but when I made the suggested corrections,
    it just made things worse (!)

    >From what I can tell, the problem is embedding a table within all the

    div code -- I took over this website from the webmaster, who had a much
    more sophisticated grasp of CSS. I may be in over my head....

    Thanks for this suggestion, though!

    silkmountain, Oct 5, 2006
  4. silkmountain

    Bergamot Guest

    silkmountain wrote:

    >>From what I can tell, the problem is embedding a table within all the

    > div code -- I took over this website from the webmaster, who had a much
    > more sophisticated grasp of CSS. I may be in over my head....
    >>
    >> > http://www.executivesoul.com/test_5_about_usNEW_6.html

    The former webmaster may have been in over his head, too. ;)

    I suggest getting rid of all the absolute positioning. If the document
    is structured logically, it is very unlikely you need any of it.

    BTW, image maps are terrible when it comes to accessibility. Just try to
    use one when image loading is disabled. I bet you can't. And it is
    unwise to resize images in HTML. The quality is pretty awful, for one thing.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Oct 5, 2006
  5. silkmountain

    silkmountain Guest

    Thanks for your suggestions. Turns out all I needed to do was allot
    more space to the StoryArea (the StoryArea height was set to auto, and
    the image was messing up the page spacing). I will take all your
    suggestions, especially re: image maps and image resizing.

    Thanks again!

    silkmountain, Oct 6, 2006
  6. silkmountain

    mbstevens Guest

    On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 08:45:57 -0700, silkmountain wrote:

    > Thanks for your suggestions. Turns out all I needed to do was allot more
    > space to the StoryArea (the StoryArea height was set to auto, and the
    > image was messing up the page spacing). I will take all your suggestions,
    > especially re: image maps and image resizing.

    You probably would have found the problem yourself more quickly if you had
    done some kind of rational indentation. This is just unreadable:

    #storyArea { background-color: #fffbf0; visibility: visible; padding: 30px 20px 30px 240px; position: absolute; top: 90px; left: 50px; width: 360px; height: auto; z-index: 600; overflow: visible; min-height: 310px; }

    What you want is something more along the lines of:

    #storyArea {
    background-color: #fffbf0;
    visibility: visible;
    padding: 30px 20px 30px 240px;
    position: absolute;
    top: 90px;
    left: 50px;
    width: 360px;
    height:auto;
    z-index: 600;
    overflow: visible;
    min-height: 310px;
    }

    I think people put everything on one line to avoid scrolling while doing
    markup, but it will almost always backfire.
    mbstevens, Oct 6, 2006
  7. silkmountain

    mbstevens Guest

    Hmmm.
    mbstevens, Oct 6, 2006
  8. silkmountain

    Els Guest

    mbstevens wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:08:58 +0000, mbstevens wrote:
    >
    >> }
    >> }

    > Hmmm.

    Don't worry, you're the only one who sees that :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Now playing: Various - Laat de kinderen bij mij komen
    Els, Oct 6, 2006
  9. silkmountain

    mbstevens Guest

    Els wrote:
    > mbstevens wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:08:58 +0000, mbstevens wrote:
    >>
    >>> }
    >>> }

    >> Hmmm.

    > Don't worry, you're the only one who sees that :)

    I just verified that in Thunderbird. I think I'll give up Pan until
    I can figure out why it's got the dropsy.
    mbstevens, Oct 6, 2006