help with css/html Firefox incompability

silkmountain

Thanks -- I tried that site, but when I made the suggested corrections,
it just made things worse (!)
From what I can tell, the problem is embedding a table within all the
div code -- I took over this website from the webmaster, who had a much
more sophisticated grasp of CSS. I may be in over my head....

Thanks for this suggestion, though!

Bergamot

silkmountain said:
div code -- I took over this website from the webmaster, who had a much
more sophisticated grasp of CSS. I may be in over my head....

The former webmaster may have been in over his head, too. ;)

I suggest getting rid of all the absolute positioning. If the document
is structured logically, it is very unlikely you need any of it.

BTW, image maps are terrible when it comes to accessibility. Just try to
use one when image loading is disabled. I bet you can't. And it is
unwise to resize images in HTML. The quality is pretty awful, for one thing.

silkmountain

Thanks for your suggestions. Turns out all I needed to do was allot
more space to the StoryArea (the StoryArea height was set to auto, and
the image was messing up the page spacing). I will take all your
suggestions, especially re: image maps and image resizing.

Thanks again!

mbstevens

Thanks for your suggestions. Turns out all I needed to do was allot more
space to the StoryArea (the StoryArea height was set to auto, and the
image was messing up the page spacing). I will take all your suggestions,
especially re: image maps and image resizing.

You probably would have found the problem yourself more quickly if you had
done some kind of rational indentation. This is just unreadable:

#storyArea { background-color: #fffbf0; visibility: visible; padding: 30px 20px 30px 240px; position: absolute; top: 90px; left: 50px; width: 360px; height: auto; z-index: 600; overflow: visible; min-height: 310px; }

What you want is something more along the lines of:

#storyArea {
background-color: #fffbf0;
visibility: visible;
padding: 30px 20px 30px 240px;
position: absolute;
top: 90px;
left: 50px;
width: 360px;
height:auto;
z-index: 600;
overflow: visible;
min-height: 310px;
}

I think people put everything on one line to avoid scrolling while doing
markup, but it will almost always backfire.

mbstevens

Els said:
Don't worry, you're the only one who sees that :)
I just verified that in Thunderbird. I think I'll give up Pan until
I can figure out why it's got the dropsy.