Help with dropdown menus. > AD xMenu

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Hardeep Rakhra, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. I'm trying to use AD xMenu (http://www.aplus.co.yu/Sparks/ADxMenu/)with
    my site but having problems in Firebird 0.7 for windows.

    I have defined the menus in their own absolutely positioned div, and it
    all works fine under IE6. But under firebird the menus appear but when
    you try to move into the newly displayed menu area it vanishes again.
    The base menus are in their own 22px high box and the sub menus display
    just below that in the main div which is butted up against the
    navigation div. But seems that in firebird that when you cross the
    boundary between them, it causes the submenu to vanish again. if i move
    the main div clear away from where the sub menus appear everything works
    fine.

    anyone have any ideas?

    Hardeep.

    my layout css is below, yes i know it's rubbish, but my first go at css.

    /* primary layout */

    #footer {
    background-color: #fdfdfd;
    border-bottom: 1px #ccc solid;
    border-left: 1px #ccc solid;
    border-right: 1px #ccc solid;
    border-top: none;
    color: #bbb;
    height: 20px;
    left: 50px;
    padding: 0 0 0 50px;
    position: absolute;
    top: 530px;
    width: 700px;
    z-index: 1;
    }

    #header {
    background-color: #fdfdfd;
    border-bottom: none;
    border-left: 1px #ccc solid;
    border-right: 1px #ccc solid;
    border-top: 1px #ccc solid;
    height: 80px;
    left: 50px;
    padding: 0 0 0 50px;
    position: absolute;
    top: 25px;
    width: 700px;
    z-index: 1;
    }

    #main {
    background-color: #fdfdfd;
    border-bottom: none;
    border-left: 1px #ccc solid;
    border-right: 1px #ccc solid;
    border-top: none;
    height: 400px;
    left: 50px;
    overflow: scroll;
    padding: 0 0 0 50px;
    position: absolute;
    top: 130px;
    width: 700px;
    z-index: 1;
    }

    #navc {
    background-color: #f8f8f8;
    border-bottom: 1px #ccc solid;
    border-left: 1px #ccc solid;
    border-right: 1px #ccc solid;
    border-top: 1px #ccc solid;
    height: 22px;
    left: 50px;
    padding: 0 0 0 50px;
    position: absolute;
    top: 106px;
    width: 700px;
    z-index: 2;
    }
    Hardeep Rakhra, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Hardeep Rakhra, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Hardeep Rakhra

    kchayka Guest

    Hardeep Rakhra wrote:

    > I'm trying to use AD xMenu (http://www.aplus.co.yu/Sparks/ADxMenu/)with
    > my site but having problems in Firebird 0.7 for windows.

    Not that this has anything to do with your query, but did you by chance
    swipe some design ideas from Netscape devedge? Your site has the same
    font size scaling problems that the NS site has. It's a usability PITA
    when JS is enabled.

    --
    To email a reply, remove (dash)un(dash). Mail sent to the un
    address is considered spam and automatically deleted.
    kchayka, Jan 8, 2004
  4. kchayka wrote:
    > Hardeep Rakhra wrote:
    >

    > Not that this has anything to do with your query, but did you by chance
    > swipe some design ideas from Netscape devedge? Your site has the same
    > font size scaling problems that the NS site has. It's a usability PITA
    > when JS is enabled.

    Netscape what?

    The only bit i 'swiped' well recreated was the menu bar from i forget
    where, i'll have the url somewhere. But did my own using the tutorial at
    http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/tutorial0613.htm

    Then i scraped that when i wanted the menus i have now, but pulled back
    in formatting i was orginaly was using for the lists so it all looked as
    i had it before, but this time with the dropdowns, which are being a
    pain in firebird but fine in IE6.

    Mind pointing me at the site your referring to? I just wanna peek at it.

    I know it doesn't scale any which way well, but is something i haven't
    played with yet. I did have it done in em's but then eventually it all
    went wacky. So i just stuck with what worked which was to explicitly
    define sizes of the containing elements pixel for pixel and do the front
    sizes in pt's rather than em's.

    Hardeep.
    Hardeep Rakhra, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Hardeep Rakhra

    kchayka Guest

    <URL:http://devedge.netscape.com/>

    > The only bit i 'swiped' well recreated was the menu bar

    The issue isn't with the menu at all, but the inc.js that tries to
    control the body text font sizes. Try this with mozilla, JS enabled:

    1. Go to your menu page, or the above devedge site (accept or reject
    cookies, doesn't matter)
    2. Zoom text to 150%, this makes it equivalent to my default text size
    3. Follow any (internal) link on the page, like any top-level menu item
    on the devedge site, or the "Examples" link on your menu page

    The text size is not 150% any more, it is getting huge. Zoom down to
    120%, now it's the right size (for me). Hit the browser "back" button.
    The text size is now getting puny again. I have to zoom in/out on
    every bloody page. The only relief is to disable JS.

    I'm not sure who invented this text sizing script, but it is a really
    bad idea.

    kchayka, Jan 8, 2004
  6. kchayka wrote:

    > The issue isn't with the menu at all, but the inc.js that tries to
    > control the body text font sizes. Try this with mozilla, JS enabled:

    > I'm not sure who invented this text sizing script, but it is a really
    > bad idea.

    I've had a go with firebird 0.7 on win, which is the only NS/mozilla
    type browser i have to hand at the moment and i don;t see the same sort
    of problem exibited.

    My site scales like a pig anyhow. Something i need to work on. I think
    i need to get hold of mozilla and see how it all goes. But thanks for
    head up on this issue.

    Hardeep.
    Hardeep Rakhra, Jan 8, 2004
  7. Hardeep Rakhra

    kchayka Guest

    Hardeep Rakhra wrote:

    > kchayka wrote:
    >
    >> The issue isn't with the menu at all, but the inc.js that tries to
    >> control the body text font sizes. Try this with mozilla, JS enabled:

    >> I'm not sure who invented this text sizing script, but it is a really
    >> bad idea.

    > I've had a go with firebird 0.7 on win, which is the only NS/mozilla
    > type browser i have to hand at the moment and i don;t see the same sort
    > of problem exibited.

    I don't know why you can't see this, but View->Text Zoom makes it _very_
    noticable for me in NS 7.0, Firebird 6.0 and a recent mozilla nightly
    build. I don't accept cookies, but that didn't matter in this case.

    The script is broken.

    kchayka, Jan 9, 2004
  8. Hardeep Rakhra

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:22:49 -0600, kchayka declared in alt.html:

    > noticable for me in NS 7.0, Firebird 6.0 and a recent mozilla nightly

    Firebird 6.0? They *have* been busy. :)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au