Help with dropdown menus. > AD xMenu

Hardeep Rakhra

I'm trying to use AD xMenu (http://www.aplus.co.yu/Sparks/ADxMenu/)with
my site but having problems in Firebird 0.7 for windows.

I have defined the menus in their own absolutely positioned div, and it
all works fine under IE6. But under firebird the menus appear but when
you try to move into the newly displayed menu area it vanishes again.
The base menus are in their own 22px high box and the sub menus display
just below that in the main div which is butted up against the
navigation div. But seems that in firebird that when you cross the
boundary between them, it causes the submenu to vanish again. if i move
the main div clear away from where the sub menus appear everything works
fine.

anyone have any ideas?

Hardeep.

my layout css is below, yes i know it's rubbish, but my first go at css.

/* primary layout */

#footer {
background-color: #fdfdfd;
border-bottom: 1px #ccc solid;
border-left: 1px #ccc solid;
border-right: 1px #ccc solid;
border-top: none;
color: #bbb;
height: 20px;
left: 50px;
padding: 0 0 0 50px;
position: absolute;
top: 530px;
width: 700px;
z-index: 1;
}

#header {
background-color: #fdfdfd;
border-bottom: none;
border-left: 1px #ccc solid;
border-right: 1px #ccc solid;
border-top: 1px #ccc solid;
height: 80px;
left: 50px;
padding: 0 0 0 50px;
position: absolute;
top: 25px;
width: 700px;
z-index: 1;
}

#main {
background-color: #fdfdfd;
border-bottom: none;
border-left: 1px #ccc solid;
border-right: 1px #ccc solid;
border-top: none;
height: 400px;
left: 50px;
overflow: scroll;
padding: 0 0 0 50px;
position: absolute;
top: 130px;
width: 700px;
z-index: 1;
}

#navc {
background-color: #f8f8f8;
border-bottom: 1px #ccc solid;
border-left: 1px #ccc solid;
border-right: 1px #ccc solid;
border-top: 1px #ccc solid;
height: 22px;
left: 50px;
padding: 0 0 0 50px;
position: absolute;
top: 106px;
width: 700px;
z-index: 2;

kchayka

Hardeep said:
I'm trying to use AD xMenu (http://www.aplus.co.yu/Sparks/ADxMenu/)with
my site but having problems in Firebird 0.7 for windows.

Not that this has anything to do with your query, but did you by chance
swipe some design ideas from Netscape devedge? Your site has the same
font size scaling problems that the NS site has. It's a usability PITA
when JS is enabled.

Hardeep Rakhra

kchayka said:
Hardeep Rakhra wrote:

Not that this has anything to do with your query, but did you by chance
swipe some design ideas from Netscape devedge? Your site has the same
font size scaling problems that the NS site has. It's a usability PITA
when JS is enabled.

Netscape what?

The only bit i 'swiped' well recreated was the menu bar from i forget
where, i'll have the url somewhere. But did my own using the tutorial at
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/tutorial0613.htm

Then i scraped that when i wanted the menus i have now, but pulled back
in formatting i was orginaly was using for the lists so it all looked as
i had it before, but this time with the dropdowns, which are being a
pain in firebird but fine in IE6.

Mind pointing me at the site your referring to? I just wanna peek at it.

I know it doesn't scale any which way well, but is something i haven't
played with yet. I did have it done in em's but then eventually it all
went wacky. So i just stuck with what worked which was to explicitly
define sizes of the containing elements pixel for pixel and do the front
sizes in pt's rather than em's.

Hardeep.

kchayka

Hardeep Rakhra wrote:

http://www.aplus.co.yu/Sparks/ADxMenu/
Netscape what?

The only bit i 'swiped' well recreated was the menu bar

The issue isn't with the menu at all, but the inc.js that tries to
control the body text font sizes. Try this with mozilla, JS enabled:

1. Go to your menu page, or the above devedge site (accept or reject
cookies, doesn't matter)
2. Zoom text to 150%, this makes it equivalent to my default text size
3. Follow any (internal) link on the page, like any top-level menu item
on the devedge site, or the "Examples" link on your menu page

The text size is not 150% any more, it is getting huge. Zoom down to
120%, now it's the right size (for me). Hit the browser "back" button.
The text size is now getting puny again. I have to zoom in/out on
every bloody page. The only relief is to disable JS.

I'm not sure who invented this text sizing script, but it is a really
bad idea.

Hardeep Rakhra

kchayka said:
The issue isn't with the menu at all, but the inc.js that tries to
control the body text font sizes. Try this with mozilla, JS enabled:
I'm not sure who invented this text sizing script, but it is a really
bad idea.

I've had a go with firebird 0.7 on win, which is the only NS/mozilla
type browser i have to hand at the moment and i don;t see the same sort
of problem exibited.

My site scales like a pig anyhow. Something i need to work on. I think
i need to get hold of mozilla and see how it all goes. But thanks for
head up on this issue.

Hardeep.

kchayka

Hardeep said:
I've had a go with firebird 0.7 on win, which is the only NS/mozilla
type browser i have to hand at the moment and i don;t see the same sort
of problem exibited.

I don't know why you can't see this, but View->Text Zoom makes it _very_
noticable for me in NS 7.0, Firebird 6.0 and a recent mozilla nightly
build. I don't accept cookies, but that didn't matter in this case.

The script is broken.