help with emergency, asp program cannot talk to sql server 2000 an

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by c676228, Sep 17, 2006.

  1. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi everyone,

    Our site is down, because of our hosting company applied sql server 2000 sp4
    on windows 2000 server.

    right after it applied the service pack, our sql server database is down and
    no conn etc. When one technical support restart the server,

    the obejcts like tables in database cannot be recognized from our asp pages
    anymore, data cannot be inserted into any database table and data cannot be
    pulled out correctly from database table through asp program, but I can run
    query and look at data through sql analyzer.

    what is the problem, is it because of connection string? before this service
    pack 4, everything runs fine and we never had this kind of disaster.

    I have connection string like this:

    conn.Open "dsn=XXXXXX;uid=XXXXX;pwd=XXXXXX"

    Is there any problem with my connection string with sp4 applied?

    Can you please help?

    Betty

    --
    Betty
    c676228, Sep 17, 2006

  2. c676228

    Steven Burn Guest

    Posting the error message(s) you are receiving, and the code you are using,
    will go alot further with helping.

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Sep 17, 2006

  3. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Re: help with emergency, asp program cannot talk to sql server 200

    Steven,
    This is error message I got from my asp program of all pages.
    name 'tis_productRate'

    Actually the table is right there, I can see from my sql analyzer and I can
    query this table, the data is right there.
    Thanks for yuur help!
    Betty

    c676228, Sep 17, 2006
  4. Re: help with emergency, asp program cannot talk to sql server 200

    c676228 wrote:
    > Steven,
    > This is error message I got from my asp program of all pages.

    Nothing to do with your problem, but:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

    >Invalid
    > object name 'tis_productRate'
    >
    > Actually the table is right there, I can see from my sql analyzer and
    > I can query this table, the data is right there.
    > Thanks for yuur help!

    It's most likely a permissions issue: the login you are using to connect to
    your database does not have permission to view that table. If you require
    further assistance, you need to post the code that produces the symptom.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Sep 17, 2006
  5. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Re: help with emergency, asp program cannot talk to sql server 200

    Bob,
    Here is the code. The error messge points to line I marked with star and
    very intesting thing is to customers that some of my application looks OK
    when application goes from one page to another, but behind the secene, no
    data has been inserted into any database table. why does this happen right
    after sp4 is applied to our sql server 2000?

    dim CFARarr(6)
    dim NOCFARarr(6)
    dim AgeLower(6)
    dim AgeUpper(6)
    dim rcount

    Function fillRateInfo()
    Dim k
    k=0

    sQry="Select count(*) from tis_productRate where product ='"& "select" &"'"
    * Set Rcount=conn.Execute(sQry) ' error message here
    If CInt(Rcount(0)) <> 0 then
    rcount=Rcount(0)
    End If

    cmdTemp.CommandText = "select AgeLower, AgeUpper, Rate, CFARRate from
    tis_productRate where product='"& "select" &"'"
    set RateChart = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")
    RateChart.Open cmdTemp, , adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly

    While not RateChart.EOF
    if k<6 then
    ageLower(k)=CInt(RateChart("AgeLower"))
    ageUpper(k)=CInt(RateChart("AgeUpper")) +1
    CFARarr(k)=CDbl(Trim(RateChart("CFARRate")))
    NOCFARarr(k)=CDbl(Trim(Ratechart("Rate")))
    ' age1(k).Add "Rate", RateChart("Rate")
    k=k+1
    end if
    RateChart.movenext
    wend

    End Function

    --
    Betty

    c676228, Sep 17, 2006
  6. Re: help with emergency, asp program cannot talk to sql server 200

    Hello Betty,

    I agree with Bob this seems to be a security issue. The account you used in
    the conncetion string:

    conn.Open "dsn=XXXXXX;uid=XXXXX;pwd=XXXXXX"

    may not have permission to access the table 'tis_productRate' any more.
    You may first check if the table 'tis_productRate' is owned by 'dbo' or if
    the account you used is an adminitrator account in current database.

    Anyway, you better consult the hosting company about this if you don't have
    administrator permission on the database. Normally, this requires a
    configration on the database. I think the code is OK since it used to work
    fine.

    Sincerely,

    Luke Zhang

    Microsoft Online Community Support
    ications.

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Sep 18, 2006
  7. Re: help with emergency, asp program cannot talk to sql server 200

    c676228 wrote:
    > Bob,
    > Here is the code.

    You left out your connection string (you can censor the sensitive
    information in it, if any). That's the most relevant piece of information
    needed to diagnose a security issue. We need to understand what login
    account is being used to connect to your database

    > The error messge points to line I marked with star
    > and very intesting thing is to customers that some of my application
    > looks OK when application goes from one page to another, but behind
    > the secene, no data has been inserted into any database table. why
    > does this happen right after sp4 is applied to our sql server 2000?

    I don't understand. You seem to be talking about a different problem now.
    This code you are showing has nothing in it that would insert data into a
    database table.

    <snip>>
    > sQry="Select count(*) from tis_productRate where product ='"&
    > "select" &"'" * Set Rcount=conn.Execute(sQry) ' error message here

    <snip - everything after this point is irrelevant - we need to see what's
    happening prior to this point - specifically the point where you connect to
    the database>

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Sep 18, 2006
  8. c676228 wrote:
    > Our site is down, because of our hosting company applied sql server
    > 2000 sp4 on windows 2000 server.
    >
    > right after it applied the service pack, our sql server database is
    > down and no conn etc. When one technical support restart the server,
    >
    > the obejcts like tables in database cannot be recognized from our asp
    > pages anymore, data cannot be inserted into any database table and
    > data cannot be pulled out correctly from database table through asp
    > program, but I can run query and look at data through sql analyzer.
    >
    > what is the problem, is it because of connection string? before this
    > service pack 4, everything runs fine and we never had this kind of
    > disaster.

    That symptom could very well occur if you were using sa and a blank password
    to connect:

    "If the SQL Server instance to be upgraded to SP4 has a blank
    password for the sa login account, a password must be provided
    before an unattended installation is run."

    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...E-4DE0-B36F-C44E06B0D2A3/ReadmeSql2k32sp4.htm

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Sep 18, 2006
  9. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Re: help with emergency, asp program cannot talk to sql server 200

    I don't really know what happened after they applied sp4 to my sql server
    2000.

    I told my myself, I need to take a look at my testing database, I suddenly I
    found out that my live data get into my testing database and that tell me why
    some my production program gives invalid object error messge. You can image
    what will happen when you have production code running against testing
    database.

    So I look at the ODBC set up and the original DSN is pointing to testing
    database instance instead of my origianl set up --> production database.

    We have two database instances on our server. I guess they were not aware of
    it. One is testing server(MSDE), one is production server(sql server 2000),
    after the service pack is applied, something happened, I still don't know
    they manually did it, or system set up?

    Thank you all for providing your idea.

    --
    Betty

    c676228, Sep 18, 2006
  10. Re: help with emergency, asp program cannot talk to sql server 200

    c676228 wrote:
    > I don't really know what happened after they applied sp4 to my sql
    > server 2000.
    >
    > I told my myself, I need to take a look at my testing database, I
    > suddenly I found out that my live data get into my testing database
    > and that tell me why some my production program gives invalid object
    > error messge. You can image what will happen when you have production
    > code running against testing database.
    >
    > So I look at the ODBC set up and the original DSN is pointing to
    > testing database instance instead of my origianl set up -->
    > production database.

    Yet another reason to avoid ODBC DSNs. Again:

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Sep 18, 2006
  11. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Re: help with emergency, asp program cannot talk to sql server 200

    Dave,
    I didn't use sa and blank password in the origianl set up. Instead, when I
    found that my dsn is switched to testing
    database, the using id is SA and it has a blank password there
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Sep 18, 2006
  12. Re: help with emergency, asp program cannot talk to sql server 200

    c676228 wrote:
    > Dave,
    > I didn't use sa and blank password in the origianl set up. Instead,
    > when I found that my dsn is switched to testing
    > database, the using id is SA and it has a blank password there

    .... both of which are horrible ideas, even on a test database server.

    Never use the sa account in applications: create a limited-rights sql
    login account and use that instead. If a hacker gains access to your sa
    password, your entire network could be at risk. Guard the sa account as
    if your job depended on it (it probably does)

    A blank sa password is a huge security hole - have you never heard of
    the Code Red worm?

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Sep 18, 2006
  13. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Re: help with emergency, asp program cannot talk to sql server 200

    sureBob,
    Thank you for pointing that out. I have hear something like that, but no
    what's exact name. No, I didn't use it in testing database.
    I guess this is system default.
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Sep 18, 2006
  14. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Re: help with emergency, asp program cannot talk to sql server 200

    Bob,
    Thank you for pointing that out. I have heard something like that, but no
    what's exact name.That's why we don't use it in any database configuration

    c676228, Sep 18, 2006
  15. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Re: help with emergency, asp program cannot talk to sql server 200

    Hi Bob, Dave and Steven,
    Thanks you all for your idea, suggestion and comments.
    I hope I didn't miss anybody's name.
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Sep 20, 2006