Help with Encoding Extended Characters

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Sean O'Dwyer, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. Sean O'Dwyer

    Sean O'Dwyer Guest

    Hi,

    I have data coming into a script from a Web form. Everything's fine and
    running normally, but when the Perl script sends the data via e-mail to
    my (Hispanic) client the extended characters are munged...

    >D'a
    >DIRECCIîN
    >CîDIGO POSTAL
    >DIRECCIîN PAêS: Espa-a

    ....when they should read...

    >Día
    >DIRECCIÓN
    >CÓDIGO POSTAL
    >DIRECCIÓN PAÍS: España

    These characters are embedded into my script as follows...

    >print MAIL "TELÉFONO: $variable\n";
    >print MAIL "DIRECCIÓN: $variable\n";
    >print MAIL "CÓDIGO POSTAL: $variable\n";
    >print MAIL "DIRECCIÓN PAÍS: $variable\n";
    >etc.

    The problem may be related to the fact I'm Mac-based. I upload via FTP
    binary and use UNIX linebreaks, etc., but obviously I'm not encoding the
    extended chars correctly.

    Any help appreciated.

    Kind regards,

    Sean