Help with encrypting using certificate public key ...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tery, Jun 22, 2007.

  1. Tery

    Tery Guest

    Tery, Jun 22, 2007

  2. Hi Tery,

    From your description, you're going to build a .net application which will
    interact with a 3rd party service (exposes a http post channel to let you
    submit request and get response data), correct?

    I have had a brief overview on the document you mentioned, my current
    understanding is that you'll get a certificate with the public key from
    that 3rd partry service hoster and you'll need to use it encrypt or verify
    the signature of the service side. For such issue, you can use the .NET
    framework cryptography component to perform data encryption or
    signing(decryptiong or signature verification) and for the publici key, you
    can retrive it from windows certificate store through the .NET
    X509Cerificate specific classes(provided in .NET 2.0). Here are some MSDN
    reference on this(encypting & certificate management):

    #Support Certificates In Your Applications With The .NET Framework 2.0
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/07/03/NETSecurity/#S4

    #Encrypting Data
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/as0w18af(VS.80).aspx

    #Generating Signatures
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6yxzeb7e.aspx

    In addition, I've ever replied in some former threads in the newsgroup
    about using X509 certificate (the associated key in it) to perform crypto
    tasks. You can also refer to them for further information:

    #Encrypt string using SHA1withDSA and X509 certificate Options
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.secu
    rity/browse_thread/thread/1b16028ac9e99ab5/dffce8c815782d4a

    #FtpWebRequest with X.509 Authentication Options
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework/browse_thre
    ad/thread/29cf1bbf51eafd43/426e2c94fd7b6f59

    If you have any more specific questions or anything unclear on this, please
    feel free to let me know.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jun 25, 2007

  3. Hi Tery,

    How are you doing on this issue? Have you got any progress or does the
    information in my last reply helps you some? If there is anything else we
    can help, please feel free to post here.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jun 27, 2007
  4. Hi Tery,

    I have been working on exactly this issue for several months (it's a
    sideline and I only get a couple hours a week...) but in a php context. I
    have not gotten it to work yet, but I think I am close. I am nearly certain
    that the Handango instructions you referenced contain errors (you want to
    decrypt the signature, not encrypt it) and I suspect that I was given the
    wrong certificate.

    I'd be interested in swapping notes.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5keQ==?=, Jun 30, 2007