Help with encrypting using certificate public key ...

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Tery,

From your description, you're going to build a .net application which will
interact with a 3rd party service (exposes a http post channel to let you
submit request and get response data), correct?

I have had a brief overview on the document you mentioned, my current
understanding is that you'll get a certificate with the public key from
that 3rd partry service hoster and you'll need to use it encrypt or verify
the signature of the service side. For such issue, you can use the .NET
framework cryptography component to perform data encryption or
signing(decryptiong or signature verification) and for the publici key, you
can retrive it from windows certificate store through the .NET
X509Cerificate specific classes(provided in .NET 2.0). Here are some MSDN
reference on this(encypting & certificate management):

#Support Certificates In Your Applications With The .NET Framework 2.0
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/07/03/NETSecurity/#S4

#Encrypting Data
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/as0w18af(VS.80).aspx

#Generating Signatures
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6yxzeb7e.aspx

In addition, I've ever replied in some former threads in the newsgroup
about using X509 certificate (the associated key in it) to perform crypto
tasks. You can also refer to them for further information:

#Encrypt string using SHA1withDSA and X509 certificate Options
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.secu
rity/browse_thread/thread/1b16028ac9e99ab5/dffce8c815782d4a

#FtpWebRequest with X.509 Authentication Options
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework/browse_thre
ad/thread/29cf1bbf51eafd43/426e2c94fd7b6f59

If you have any more specific questions or anything unclear on this, please
feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Tery,

How are you doing on this issue? Have you got any progress or does the
information in my last reply helps you some? If there is anything else we
can help, please feel free to post here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Guest

Hi Tery,

I have been working on exactly this issue for several months (it's a
sideline and I only get a couple hours a week...) but in a php context. I
have not gotten it to work yet, but I think I am close. I am nearly certain
that the Handango instructions you referenced contain errors (you want to
decrypt the signature, not encrypt it) and I suspect that I was given the
wrong certificate.

I'd be interested in swapping notes.