Help with formail please

GS

Hi,

I am having problems with the formail on a website that I am
helping out with. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
I have tried changing the permission to full access accross
the board with no luck. I am wondering if I should be trouble-
shooting to 404 error first.

Here's the address: http://www.apex-cary.com/quote.html

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. If you're
close enough, rewarded in the form of free beer :)

brucie

In alt.html GS said:
Hi,
g'day

I am having problems with the formail

formmail is these days a generic term for a form script and doesn't
actually refer to the original formmail script which everyone would
dissuade you from using.

there are gazillions of form scripts and the best people to help you
with them are the authors of the script or the people who supplied you
the script (e.g. your host).

4 seconds. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

lots of errors and a 500px blank space on the right causing a nasty
horizontal scrollbar.

<META content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0"

not only is frontpage recognized as the worst html editor you can use
but it also causes birth deformities. get rid of it. if not for yourself
think of your children!

if you want to stay with a WYSINWYG i recommend:
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/hpbuilder/
If you're close enough, rewarded in the form of free beer :)

i'd prefer cash and/or sex

GS

brucie said:
In alt.html GS said:

formmail is these days a generic term for a form script and doesn't
actually refer to the original formmail script which everyone would
dissuade you from using.

there are gazillions of form scripts and the best people to help you
with them are the authors of the script or the people who supplied you
the script (e.g. your host).

4 seconds. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

lots of errors and a 500px blank space on the right causing a nasty
horizontal scrollbar.

<META content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0"

not only is frontpage recognized as the worst html editor you can use
but it also causes birth deformities. get rid of it. if not for yourself
think of your children!

if you want to stay with a WYSINWYG i recommend:
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/hpbuilder/

i'd prefer cash and/or sex

Yeah, I think I am in over my head. I didn't deisgn the page, just spruced
it up with some
graphics. I actually used dreamweaver and had some success....but it does
need to be re-tooled
again. I may just have to get on the phone with Lunarpages, or call in the
calvary. I have downloaded
some scripts, but they require some basic knowledge that i seem to be
lacking. Oh well, thanks for
the help!

brucie

In alt.html Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Third-worst.
3. Microsoft FrontPlague
2. Microsoft Word
1. Microsoft Publisher

i disagree, while their html is worse its not their primary function and
they aren't claiming to be html editors.

i cant do that! i'm a cancerian, i need to make a spiritual connection
before sex and that takes a lot of time to develop.

Jeffrey Silverman

Here's the address: http://www.apex-cary.com/quote.html

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. If you're
close enough, rewarded in the form of free beer :)

The problem you are having is with the CGI script, it would seem.

http://www.apex-cary.com/cgi-bin/apex-cary.pl

Not the form itself. The form itself is irrelevant, mostly, from your
point of view, with the exception of the "action=" value, which it appears
is set to the URL I posted, above.

So here is what you should do.

1) Find another Perl-based CGI script that will email the contents of a
form to any email address.

2) Install this script on the server in the cgi-bin directory.

3) Configure script with proper email address.

4) Change "action=" in the HTML form to the name of the new script.

Unless, of course, there is another problem, which there might be. The
"Internal Server Error" received when you click submit now is a clue. You
might not have Perl available on the server (unlikely) or you might not be
*allowed* to use CGI scripts of this type or the cgi-bin directory might
be misconfigured.

And finally, the 404 error looks unimportant also.

"Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use
an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

The server is looking for the proper 500 error document which is missing.
no biggee. You can ignore this for now, as it is not going to solve the
form mail problem.

Take a look in the Apache server error_log file, if you have access to it
and can find it and can understand it. It may help answer some questions.
(Or might not).

.....underwear drying.....