Help with HTTPS

Discussion in 'HTML' started by n|ck, Feb 17, 2005.

  1. n|ck

    n|ck Guest

    Hey everyone,

    If I'm in an https directory, can I still use relative paths to files I'm
    calling (CSS, JavaScript) as if the https and http pages are in the same
    directory? Or do I have to refer to them absolutely? Unfortunately I can't test
    this to see for myself because my client has the certificate and I've never
    worked with one before.

    Thanks in advance,

    Nick.
    n|ck, Feb 17, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. n|ck

    JDS Guest

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:55:32 +0000, n|ck wrote:

    > Hey everyone,
    >
    > If I'm in an https directory, can I still use relative paths to files I'm
    > calling (CSS, JavaScript) as if the https and http pages are in the same
    > directory? Or do I have to refer to them absolutely? Unfortunately I can't test
    > this to see for myself because my client has the certificate and I've never
    > worked with one before.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Nick.


    it depends.

    https has nothing to do with whether the paths are different, necessarily.
    Many time, the https version of a website is identical to the http version
    -- really identical -- same files, same directories, same everything. the
    only change is that now the web server is encrypting the http traffic.

    so the answer to your question is porobably yes, everything stays the same.

    Incidentally, you can't really have only one directory as the "https
    directory" -- either everything is or nothing is.

    Try this -- go to a popular website, and just add "s" after the http in
    uyour browser's address bar. You'll find that quite often, the site
    is also available encrypted. I hopew that clarifies it a smidge.

    --
    JDS |
    | http://www.newtnotes.com
    DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/
    JDS, Feb 18, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. n|ck

    n|ck Guest

    JDS wrote:
    > Try this -- go to a popular website, and just add "s" after the http in
    > uyour browser's address bar. You'll find that quite often, the site
    > is also available encrypted. I hopew that clarifies it a smidge.


    Yeah I think I get it now. I guess I get confused when I see a directory names
    "httpdocs" and "httpsdocs". I was hoping to just have the non-secure pages
    coming through HTTP and *only* the secure pages coming through HTTPS. Is that
    not possible?
    n|ck, Feb 18, 2005
    #3
  4. n|ck

    JDS Guest

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 01:02:54 +0000, n|ck wrote:

    > Yeah I think I get it now. I guess I get confused when I see a directory names
    > "httpdocs" and "httpsdocs". I was hoping to just have the non-secure pages
    > coming through HTTP and *only* the secure pages coming through HTTPS. Is that
    > not possible?


    Sure its possible but I have no idea how the server is configured. This
    is all web server configuration related. Talk to your server admin.

    --
    JDS |
    | http://www.newtnotes.com
    DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/
    JDS, Feb 18, 2005
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. aditya
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    608
    Brian McCauley
    Nov 4, 2003
  2. CK

    https help

    CK, Dec 2, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    477
    James Fujino
    Dec 3, 2005
  3. Axel
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    1,081
    Adrienne Boswell
    Apr 27, 2009
  4. jotto
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    381
    jotto
    Oct 2, 2006
  5. Naveen Dhanuka
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    277
Loading...

Share This Page