Help with Iframe refresh

Grey_Brother

I've set up a simple home page (http://brettdrummond.googlepages.com/
home.html) with an iframe embedded that shows a local weather
forecast, sourced from a ftp. Whenever my home page loads (I use IE7),
the frame and all my content loads, but the iframe actially displays
the content of what was *last* loaded - that is, the frame does not
refresh on being opened unless I actually press the refresh button.

Can anyone give me some guidance on how to get the iframe to load the
most recent ftp content?

thanks heaps,
Brett

J.O. Aho

Grey_Brother said:
I've set up a simple home page (http://brettdrummond.googlepages.com/
home.html) with an iframe embedded that shows a local weather
forecast, sourced from a ftp. Whenever my home page loads (I use IE7),
the frame and all my content loads, but the iframe actially displays
the content of what was *last* loaded - that is, the frame does not
refresh on being opened unless I actually press the refresh button.

Can anyone give me some guidance on how to get the iframe to load the
most recent ftp content?

You would need a javascript that refreshes the iframe, and you would need to
change the cache option on your browser to not cache anything at all.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Grey_Brother:
I've set up a simple home page (http://brettdrummond.googlepages.com/
home.html) with an iframe embedded that shows a local weather
forecast, sourced from a ftp.

I don't see anything like that there, and there is no iframe markup. Did you
have to take it away for copyright reasons? (That wouldn't be surprising at
all; framing someone else's content requires permission.)
Whenever my home page loads (I use IE7),
the frame and all my content loads, but the iframe actially displays
the content of what was *last* loaded

It might be taken from the cache, especially when you visit the page very
frequently.

J.O. Aho

Jonathan said:
Also note the content served as "application/x-nagnagnag" does *not* by
default open in a browser! My SeaMonkey downloads

Not sure how you got it to be application/x-nagnagnag, this is the header sent
from the webserver:

Connecting to brettdrummond.googlepages.com|72.14.207.91|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Last-Modified: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 10:40:02 GMT
Cache-control: public
Expires: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 14:08:14 GMT
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 14:08:14 GMT
Server: GFE/1.3
Connection: Keep-Alive
Length: 6,284 (6.1K) [text/html]

The weather text comes from an ftp, and don't have headers as the ftp protocol
don't use such.

Jonathan N. Little

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 14:08:14 GMT
Server: GFE/1.3
Connection: Keep-Alive
Length: 6,284 (6.1K) [text/html]

The weather text comes from an ftp, and don't have headers as the ftp protocol
don't use such.

Same here, but I think this is a SeaMonkey|Firefox security feature
textfile served via FTP are downloaded not displayed in the browser by
default.

What OP want is more like some serverside the PHP,

file_get_contents('ftp://ftp2.bom.gov.au/anon/gen/fwo/IDV10420.txt') or
CURL...

J.O. Aho

Jonathan said:
Same here, but I think this is a SeaMonkey|Firefox security feature
textfile served via FTP are downloaded not displayed in the browser by
default.

I'm using SeaMonkey and did not have any trouble with the text file.

What OP want is more like some serverside the PHP,

Think it could be solved with client side javascript too, as long as the
browser hasn't enabled cache of pages.