Help with impersonation.

teejayem

I have a ASP.NET Website which uses impersonation.

I have my IIS authentication set to Windows NT Authentication.

Am i right in thinking if i use the following tag:-

<identity impersonate="true" />

This should run the code on my server as the user that has
euthenticated against IIS?

Anyhow - this isn't working as I have tested running the website as a
Domain Admin and i receive errors relating to permissions.

If I use the tag and explicitly declare the user name and password of
a user who has relevant permissions this works fine:-

<identity impersonate="true" userName="WALKER_MORRIS\user"
password="password" ></identity>

Does anybody have any ideas why? I don't really want to have the user
name and password of a domain admin count written in plane text on any
computer.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Tom.

Kevin Spencer

Your application can only run in the context of a single user, as it is a
single process, like any other application. Perhaps if you can explain what
you're trying to do, we can help. It isn't necessary for the application to
run in the context of the logged-on user, only for it to manage security,
and there's plenty of support for that in ASP.Net.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Chicken Salad Surgeon