Help with Iteration

Chris McComas

i have a python script that is computing ratings of sports teams.

what i'm trying to do is setup an iteration for the rating so that the
python program recomputes the rating if any of the value difference is
0.00005. it's common for sports ratings to run such iterations...

any tips, pointers on where to look on how to do this the best way?

right now i'm getting the ratings from the file, limiting my results
to 1 entry, the biggest number, if it's > 0.00005, then i want it to
compute the ratings again. if it is < 0.00005 then it just goes on to
the next step in the file.

thnx in advance.

Aaron \Castironpi\ Brady

i have a python script that is computing ratings of sports teams.

what i'm trying to do is setup an iteration for the rating so that the
python program recomputes the rating if any of the value difference is

any tips, pointers on where to look on how to do this the best way?

right now i'm getting the ratings from the file, limiting my results
to 1 entry, the biggest number, if it's > 0.00005, then i want it to
compute the ratings again. if it is < 0.00005 then it just goes on to
the next step in the file.

thnx in advance.

Can you cut and paste a few lines? Otherwise I assume your file looks
like this:

A 0.00001
B 0.00003
C 0.00006

You interpret the file like this:

name= A, rating= 0.00001
name= B, rating= 0.00003
name= C, rating= 0.00006
--recompute--

new values:
name= A, rating= 0.00001
name= B, rating= 0.00002
name= C, rating= 0.00004

new file:
A 0.00001
B 0.00002
C 0.00004

Am I right so far?

Chris McComas

Can you cut and paste a few lines? Otherwise I assume your file looks
like this:

A 0.00001
B 0.00003
C 0.00006

You interpret the file like this:

name= A, rating= 0.00001
name= B, rating= 0.00003
name= C, rating= 0.00006
--recompute--

new values:
name= A, rating= 0.00001
name= B, rating= 0.00002
name= C, rating= 0.00004

new file:
A 0.00001
B 0.00002
C 0.00004

Am I right so far?

actually i'm running it online, with a mysql db. so in the db there is
a table CollegeYear with the following fields:

name
rating
change
wp

then another table Games

date
year
team_1
team_1_score
team_2
team_2_score

it goes through and calculates everything, then when it's time to
compute the rating i have say this code:

http://dpaste.com/85300/

it goes through and computes them, then add the new rating and
absolute value of the changed rating to the db. what i need now is a
way to get the largest entry for 'change' and if it is greater than
0.00005 then do this code again. if it is less than 0.00005 then we're
done.

Aaron Brady

Chris said:
[...]

What about "SELECT MAX( rating ) FROM CollegeYear"?

Chris McComas

What about "SELECT MAX( rating ) FROM CollegeYear"?

Aaron,

Thnx. To clarify I can get the max, that wasn't the issue, what I'm
failing to try and visualise/figure out is how do I say, okay if MAX >
0.00005 run this again, if MAX < 0.00005 you're done.

John Machin

What is the point of this:

if games.team_1_score > games.team_2_score
t1_rating = t2_rating + t1_wp - .5
t2_rating = t1_rating + t2_wp - .5
elif games.team_1_score < games.team_2_score
t1_rating = t2_rating + t1_wp - .5
t2_rating = t1_rating + t2_wp - .5
elif games.team_1_score == games.team_2_score
t1_rating = t2_rating + t1_wp - .5
t2_rating = t1_rating + t2_wp - .5

You have the same code for each of the three conditions. Where are the
colons? Have you actually tried to execute this code? Any good reason
why the second elif is not an else?

Aaron,

Thnx. To clarify I can get the max, that wasn't the issue, what I'm
failing to try and visualise/figure out is how do I say, okay if MAX >
0.00005 run this again, if MAX < 0.00005 you're done.

[Aside: if MAX == 0.00005, what? Go into a catatonic trance?]

Let me get this straight: Is this your first program? Are you asking
how to code a while loop?

Aaron Brady

Chris said:
Aaron,

Thnx. To clarify I can get the max, that wasn't the issue, what I'm
failing to try and visualise/figure out is how do I say, okay if MAX >
0.00005 run this again, if MAX < 0.00005 you're done.

I don't know.

while 1:
calculate_stuff( )
if stuff < 0.00005: