help with java ticker

matt.sus

Hi everyone,

If you can help me I'd be very grateful and you will be earning
yourself some good karma.

I am looking for a ticker that will read from a text file on my server,
starting from the bottom line ideally and reading upwards. (or does
anyone know a way to duplicate and reverse this text file on my server?
- the text file will be updated regularly by website visitors)

If that bit is possible I would really like the ticker to be a
horizontal scroll where the message slides, pauses and then is replaced
by the next message. This is how the 1st link below handles the
messages

http://www.appletcollection.com/newsticker.html
- like it a lot, slide and pause feature, but cant get it to read from
a text file.

This 2nd link is almost what I want but not quite:
http://www.5cup.com/shareware/Web_Authoring-JavaScript-Horizontal_Scroller_Pro-1.0.html
- cant get it to slide and stop like the previous link. But it DOES
read my text file. But I would prefer that it read from the last line
upwards in the text file.

Please help I've been working on this for 2 days and this is as close
as I can get.

Need your help.

matt.sus

yep i posted in 2 places, seemed that they were both relevant given
that the programmers might be able to help, or the people reading the
help might be able to help.

If anyone can help then I'd really appreciate it.

Chris Head

Andrew Thompson

yep i posted in 2 places, seemed that they were both relevant given
that the programmers might be able to help, or the people reading the
help might be able to help.

cross-post (different to multi-posting) look it up in
the glossary used by the web interface through which you
are multi-posting to usenet.
If anyone can help then I'd really appreciate it.

People tend not to spend their valuable time
assisting multi-posters.

You did not read those links I gave earlier, did you?

stope19

Hi Andrew,

I'm sure your frequent posts are of great help to a lot of people, but
perhaps you are not aware that your more and more 'out there' attitude
is making you the Paul Lutus of our time? Being a supercilious shit is
not really a 'good look'.

cheers,
dave

jan V

I'm sure your frequent posts are of great help to a lot of people, but
perhaps you are not aware that your more and more 'out there' attitude
is making you the Paul Lutus of our time?

Paul Lutus... I had completely forgotten about him. I'm sure Andrew will
burn out sooner or later, or possibly realise the error of his policing
ways.

But whether he does or not, at the end of the day it's all part of
newsgroup/chat forum culture (people getting annoyed at others) and there's
zip we can do about it - except observe, learn and giggle.

matt.sus

If anyone can still help with my original problem I would appreciate
it.

A messgae to Andrew:

I did read the links so why do you continue to be so patronizing. As
you can see my posts have been ontopic although once a message was
duplicated into another relevant forum.

When you step back and take a look at you own behaviour don't you feel
somewhat of a hipocrite? I mean for someone so righteous don't you feel
that what you are doing might be counterproductive to the aim of
Usenet? You are littering the place with messages that are unncessary.
What is the need? Am I continually multi-posting? NO. So maybe on
reflection you are polluting this place more than me.

I thnk that Usenet would be a better place if this childish, low self
esteem, 'flame everyone for the slightest thing' attitude changed
starting with Andrew Thomson.

Andrew Thompson

Paul Lutus... I had completely forgotten about him.

I recall Paul. He didn't like me, either[1]. ;-)
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/79b1a9b3797822b4>

[1] Though I suppose I am no 'Robinson Crusoe' there!
..I'm sure Andrew will
burn out sooner or later, or possibly realise the error ..

...curious. How many posts do you think it will
*take* for me to realise this 'error' you postulate?
<http://groups.google.com/groups?enc_author=82P8KhYAAABYRZnsz0_N1sJAI1-m4hJy_gRbb05PKyTO4L-MEqh3HQ>

...I *have* put the sage advice of the lessons I have
learned from those posts, in my FAQ for easy reference.

One of the reasons I link to it so frequently is
for the poor noobs drifting in from groups beta
and JavaKB, and sometimes their own news clients
set up by 'the IT people'.. Who have no idea how
usenet newsgroups work, or how to get the best out
of the usenet newsgroups.

You seem to be forgetting that if these folks follow
the advice offered (you ..have read the links before
commenting on this, right?) they will generally get
better ansewers faster, and tips on how to solve
problems on their lonesome.

Obviously, it pisses some people[2] off.
..of his policing ways.

Excuse me? How often, amongst *any* of those posts, have
I even so far as *told* any person to do *anything*?

Police don't usually[3] ask, request or say please,
at least, not the New South Wales (Australian) police.
[ They also carry guns, and are not averse to using them. ]

[3] Towards any person who has breached the 'rules or peace'
to the extent that the police become involved.
But whether he does or not, at the end of the day it's all part of
newsgroup/chat forum culture (people getting annoyed at others) and there's
zip we can do about it - except observe, learn and giggle.

Good advice. People who can't smile at the end of the
'usenetting', are perhaps not suited to this style of
exchange.

[2] There is a high correlation between those people and
'them that perhaps are not well suited to usenet'.

Andrew Thompson

Am I continually multi-posting?

If you are willing to assure me that it will not recur,
it's finished.

You seem to want to continue arguing how you are right,
and that somehow your actions are best suited to ..
a) The other contributors to these forums
b) You getting an answer.

You are not right, and I will brokk no suggestion of such,
no matter how long you argue plaintively.
If anyone can help then I'd really appreciate it.

I note that you have not had the sense to chase up
the *other* thread you posted. The one which has *no*
suggestion of multi-posting.
<http://groups.google.com.au/group/c...85f291b50a0/4efe3d6929906314#4efe3d6929906314>

That one might be *way* more successful than attempting
to resurrect this thread.

Your call.. (especially see my other post)

jan V

..I'm sure Andrew will burn out sooner or later, or possibly realise the
error ..
..curious. How many posts do you think it will *take* for me to realise
this 'error' you postulate?

I guess very, very many.

matt.sus

If you are willing to assure me that it will not recur,
it's finished.

I will reassure you of nothing other than what I said in my previous
post.
You are not making a positive contribution to this community.
You have problems with self esteem and you feel bigger saying things
like:

"If you are willing to assure me that it will not recur, it's
finished."

Have you listened to yourself. You have problems if

You seem to want to continue arguing how you are right,
and that somehow your actions are best suited to ..
a) The other contributors to these forums
b) You getting an answer.

I have my answer regarding my original 2 posts on the 2 newsgroups.

That one might be *way* more successful than attempting
to resurrect this thread.

Don't fancy resurrecting either. I have my answer.

You mentioned earlier: "People tend not to spend their valuable time
assisting multi-posters. "

Well I would like to ask you how valuable is your time if you are
continuously trying to build your self esteem by milking this dead
thread? There are better ways to build your confidence. Go out once in
a while. Meet a girl. Have a drink or two if you have to. Just chill
out and try and be a bit more relaxed.

You are right about one thing, time is valuable and so I will not waste
another second on you other than to quote Dave,

"Being a supercilious shit is not really a 'good look'. "

I wish you the best.

anal_aviator

this 'error' you postulate?

I guess very, very many.

never mind the postulation" more like group masterbation.
What a complete bunch of self loving pricks.