Help with Kinterbasdb SQL Error -206 Column unknown

Discussion in 'Python' started by R Baumann, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. R Baumann

    R Baumann Guest

    I'm a newbie with Python, and trying to connect to the Interbase/Firebird
    'EMPLOYEE.GDB' file to play with it.

    Can anyone help with this?
    I'm running Firebird 1.5rc4
    Python 2.3.2
    kinterbasdb 3.1_pre6-win32-FB1.5-py2.3.exe
    winXP Pro SP1

    I run the same code at home and it works fine. The only difference is, at
    home I'm running Interbase 5.5.

    Code follows. . .

    Python 2.3.2 (#49, Oct 2 2003, 20:02:00) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on
    win32

    Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE
    makes to its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback
    interface. This connection is not visible on any external
    interface and no data is sent to or received from the Internet.

    IDLE 1.0
    >>> import kinterbasdb
    >>> con = kinterbasdb.connect(

    host='localhost',
    database='c:/Data/FireBirdIB/employee.gdb',
    user='SYSDBA',
    password='masterkey',
    dialect=3
    )
    >>> cur = con.cursor()
    >>> cur.execute("SELECT * FROM EMPLOYEE;")

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    cur.execute("SELECT * FROM EMPLOYEE;")
    File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\kinterbasdb\__init__.py", line 1444, in
    execute
    self.description = _k.execute(self._C_cursor, sql, params)
    OperationalError: (-206, 'Unable to determine field precison from system
    tables: Dynamic SQL Error. SQL error code = -206. Column unknown.
    FIELD_SPEC.RDB$FIELD_PRECISION. At line 1, column 19.. ')

    Thanks for any help
    Ruben

    R Baumann, Nov 14, 2003

  2. R Baumann

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    R Baumann <> pisze:

    > host='localhost',
    > database='c:/Data/FireBirdIB/employee.gdb',
    > user='SYSDBA',
    > password='masterkey',
    > dialect=3
    > )

    Try with dialect 1. If this will not help, check database integrity
    (i.e. with IBConsole).

    --
    Jarek Zgoda
    Unregistered Linux User #-1

    Jarek Zgoda, Nov 14, 2003

  3. R Baumann

    David Rushby Guest

    "R Baumann" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I'm a newbie with Python, and trying to connect to the Interbase/Firebird
    > 'EMPLOYEE.GDB' file to play with it.

    [but]
    > OperationalError: (-206, 'Unable to determine field precison from system
    > tables: Dynamic SQL Error. SQL error code = -206. Column unknown.
    > FIELD_SPEC.RDB$FIELD_PRECISION. At line 1, column 19.. ')

    Here:
    http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=2287846

    David Rushby, Nov 15, 2003
  4. R Baumann

    R Baumann Guest

    > > I'm a newbie with Python, and trying to connect to the

    Interbase/Firebird
    > > 'EMPLOYEE.GDB' file to play with it.

    > [but]
    > > OperationalError: (-206, 'Unable to determine field precison from system
    > > tables: Dynamic SQL Error. SQL error code = -206. Column unknown.
    > > FIELD_SPEC.RDB$FIELD_PRECISION. At line 1, column 19.. ')

    > Here:
    > http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=2287846

    Thanks David! Will look into updating to latest & greatest Firebird and
    working with the same versions/data etc., on both home and work computers.
    Might make all the difference in the world. :)

    Ruben

    R Baumann, Nov 17, 2003