Help with links inside frames.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Pen Phill, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. Pen Phill

    Pen Phill Guest

    Hi I hope someone can help if possible.

    I am currently playing with html and the frameset function. I have a site that
    contains some very wide angle images that require to scroll L and R. With a
    simple page the text underneath the images is only a screen wide and so also
    scrolls and disappears. I thought frames might be an answer so I have set up a
    frameset page that produces a page with two frames "top" and "bottom". At the
    outset these contain respectively the image (image1.htm) and a block of text
    (text1.htm). On opening up this page (framepage.htm) in IE the image in the top
    frame can be scrolled separately to the block of text in the bottom frame which
    is what I want. The problem I have is changing to the next or previous image
    AND the next or previous text block by clicking on a link that appears in the
    lower of the two frames. That is I want to change the contents of BOTH frames
    by clicking on a link which is present in the lower one. Can it be done?

    The text blocks for each image currently have the "previous/next" links in
    the form:...."PREVIOUS.....Text block.......NEXT
    The current code for the page in the lower frame "bottom" which is text1.htm
    is as follows:

    <head>
    <Content = text/html:charset = iso-8859-1">
    <title="text1"</title>
    <base target ="top">
    </head>

    This code just changes the image from image 1 to image2 in the top frame when
    NEXT is clicked.That's only half of what I want. How can I alter this code so
    that NEXT also puts text2.htm with ITS links into the BOTTOM frame?
    (and of course clicking PREVIOUS also gives image0.htm and text0.htm in the
    respective frames?)
    I have tried adding a base target = "bottom" line with a second a href
    ="text2.htm" but this doesn't work.

    Phil

    Can anybody help please?

    Phil
    Pen Phill, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Pen Phill

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Jul 31, 2003

  3. Pen Phill

    Steve Pugh Guest

    iljunk (Pen Phill) wrote:

    >I am currently playing with html and the frameset function. I have a site that
    >contains some very wide angle images that require to scroll L and R. With a
    >simple page the text underneath the images is only a screen wide and so also
    >scrolls and disappears.

    And why is this a problem? The user reads the text before or after
    looking at the full width of the imge. Their eyes can't be looking at
    two things at once. If they want to see the text again they can scroll
    back to it.

    > I thought frames might be an answer so I have set up a
    >frameset page that produces a page with two frames "top" and "bottom". At the
    >outset these contain respectively the image (image1.htm) and a block of text
    >(text1.htm). On opening up this page (framepage.htm) in IE the image in the top
    >frame can be scrolled separately to the block of text in the bottom frame which
    >is what I want. The problem I have is changing to the next or previous image
    >AND the next or previous text block by clicking on a link that appears in the
    >lower of the two frames. That is I want to change the contents of BOTH frames
    >by clicking on a link which is present in the lower one. Can it be done?

    You need to set up a new frameset document for every pair of
    image/text pages. Then link to the frameset with target="_top" to
    fully replace the current frameset.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Jul 31, 2003
  4. "Pen Phill" <> wrote in message
    > I am currently playing with html

    Good. Use a good text editor, and watch this NG.

    > and the frameset function.

    Bad. Ditch the frames. They are a dark alley that you don't want to walk down.

    > I have a site that
    > contains some very wide angle images that require to scroll L and R. With a
    > simple page the text underneath the images is only a screen wide

    "a screen wide" is meaningless on the web. Your screen is not my screen. You can
    never know how wide a screen is.

    > I thought frames might be an answer

    You were wrong. Frames are only the answer if the question is "What is a bad way
    to do this?".

    --
    Andrew Davidson
    Andrew Davidson, Jul 31, 2003
  5. Pen Phill

    Pen Phill Guest

    Hi All

    Thanks for the replies.It obviously seems the idea of using frames is generally
    considered a no no! I'll still have a play with them nevertheless but probably
    stick to a simpler setup in the end Thanks..

    Phil
    Pen Phill, Jul 31, 2003
  6. Pen Phill

    Pen Phill Guest

    >Subject: Re: Help with links inside frames.
    >From: brucie
    >Date: 31/07/03 13:10 Romance Daylight Time
    >
    >In post <>
    >Pen Phill said...
    >
    >> I am currently playing with html and the frameset function.

    >as an academic exercise that if fine but don't use them for an actual
    >site.
    >
    >http://html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil
    >http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
    >http://www.karlcore.com/articles/article.php?id=2
    >http://david.us-lot.org/www/frames/

    Thanks for these links. I shall have a browse.
    Phil
    Pen Phill, Jul 31, 2003
  7. Pen Phill

    Pen Phill Guest

    >Subject: Re: Help with links inside frames.
    >From: Steve Pugh
    >Date: 31/07/03 13:27 Romance Daylight Time
    >
    > (Pen Phill) wrote:
    >
    >>I am currently playing with html and the frameset function. I have a site

    >that
    >>contains some very wide angle images that require to scroll L and R. With a
    >>simple page the text underneath the images is only a screen wide and so also
    >>scrolls and disappears.
    >> I thought frames might be an answer so I have set up a
    >>frameset page that produces a page with two frames "top" and "bottom". At

    >the
    >>outset these contain respectively the image (image1.htm) and a block of text
    >>(text1.htm). On opening up this page (framepage.htm) in IE the image in the

    >top
    >>frame can be scrolled separately to the block of text in the bottom frame

    >which
    >>is what I want. The problem I have is changing to the next or previous image
    >>AND the next or previous text block by clicking on a link that appears in

    >the
    >>lower of the two frames. That is I want to change the contents of BOTH

    >frames
    >>by clicking on a link which is present in the lower one. Can it be done?

    >You need to set up a new frameset document for every pair of
    >image/text pages. Then link to the frameset with target="_top" to
    >fully replace the current frameset.
    >
    > Steve

    If I understand this right (and I might not have :)), won't this just place
    the complete new frameset in the old top frame, leaving the original text1 in
    the lower frame and giving a set within a set within a set effect? I did try
    setting the link in text1.htm to "framepage2.htm" hoping it would load the
    complete new frameset in a new screen. Instead I got the Russian Doll effect!
    I shall continue to play around with it however and hopefully learn but in
    general advice here has been to give frames a miss. Thanks anyway.

    Phil
    Pen Phill, Jul 31, 2003
  8. Pen Phill

    Pen Phill Guest

    In short my question was how to have a single link inside the lower of two
    frames that would either renew the contents of BOTH or renew the screen with a
    new frameset.

    >Steve Pugh replied in message:
    >>Date: 31/07/03 13:27 Romance Daylight Time
    >>

    >>You need to set up a new frameset document for every pair of
    >>image/text pages. Then link to the frameset with target="_top" to
    >>fully replace the current frameset.
    >>
    >> Steve

    Phil replied:
    >If I understand this right (and I might not have :)), won't this just place
    >the complete new frameset in the old top frame, leaving the original text1 in
    >the lower frame and giving a set within a set within a set effect? I did try
    >setting the link in text1.htm to "framepage2.htm" hoping it would load the
    >complete new frameset in a new screen. Instead I got the Russian Doll effect!
    >
    >Phil

    Phil further replied:
    Thanks for the idea but I have just tried this both with and without the
    command "target=" set .Using "target=" I can link the new item (image.htm or
    text.htm) into either of the frames and using a straight link the chosen item
    goes into the lower frame as expected.(where the link is.) Is there a way of

    If I link it to a new frameset.htm however, as you suggest, hoping to renew the
    complete screen and have both frames renew with different contents, (like it
    does if I click it straight from the older -not exactly what I want as it takes
    longer,) it still comes up in the lower frame (or the target frame) but as
    THE page with the two frames. Interestingly if I click the link in the lower of
    these two frames it loads a further two frames in the new lower frame.....Its
    the Fractal Sorcerers' Apprentice effect! It won't clear the screen and load
    the new frameset in in a new window. In fact can what i want be done and if so
    does anyone know how please?
    Phil
    Pen Phill, Aug 1, 2003
  9. Pen Phill

    Els Guest

    "Pen Phill" <> schreef in bericht

    > >Steve Pugh replied in message:
    > >>Date: 31/07/03 13:27 Romance Daylight Time
    > >>

    > >>You need to set up a new frameset document for every pair of
    > >>image/text pages. Then link to the frameset with target="_top" to
    > >>fully replace the current frameset.
    > >>
    > >> Steve

    > Phil replied:
    > >If I understand this right (and I might not have :)), won't this

    just place
    > >the complete new frameset in the old top frame, leaving the

    original text1 in
    > >the lower frame and giving a set within a set within a set effect?

    I did try
    > >setting the link in text1.htm to "framepage2.htm" hoping it would

    load the
    > >complete new frameset in a new screen. Instead I got the Russian

    Doll effect!

    > >Phil
    > >

    > Phil further replied:
    > Thanks for the idea but I have just tried this both with and without

    the
    > command "target=" set .Using "target=" I can link the new item

    (image.htm or
    > text.htm) into either of the frames and using a straight link the

    chosen item
    > goes into the lower frame as expected.(where the link is.) Is there

    a way of

    > If I link it to a new frameset.htm however, as you suggest, hoping

    to renew the
    > complete screen and have both frames renew with different contents,

    (like it
    > does if I click it straight from the older -not exactly what I want

    as it takes
    > longer,) it still comes up in the lower frame (or the target

    frame) but as
    > THE page with the two frames. Interestingly if I click the link in

    the lower of
    > these two frames it loads a further two frames in the new lower

    frame.....Its
    > the Fractal Sorcerers' Apprentice effect! It won't clear the screen

    and load
    > the new frameset in in a new window. In fact can what i want be

    done and if so
    > does anyone know how please?
    > Phil
    >
    > In short my question was how to have a single link inside the lower

    of two
    > frames that would either renew the contents of BOTH or renew the

    screen with a
    > new frameset.

    I just read all this quickly, so forgive me if i missed anything, but
    it seems that you are not using

    target="_top",
    but
    target="top"

    which isn't the same. "_top" is indicating the frame the current
    frameset is in. As in parent, I think it's called.

    Hope his helps,
    Sincerely,

    Els
    Els, Aug 1, 2003
  10. Pen Phill

    JT Guest

    "Pen Phill" wrote in

    > Thanks for the replies.It obviously seems the idea of using frames is

    generally
    > considered a no no! I'll still have a play with them nevertheless but

    probably
    > stick to a simpler setup in the end Thanks..

    No Phill, frames and tables are only generally considered a no, no by most
    of the regular and extremely helpful people who post answers here. They are
    quite happy to keep scrolling up and down pages for menus, where really for
    most non technical surfers a static menu in a frame is much more sensible.
    But then most surfers are not disabling all and sundry settings from their
    browsers, which on the whole they will be using MS Explorer.

    JT
    JT, Aug 1, 2003
  11. Pen Phill

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "JT" <>
    writing in news:bgdeqo$b75$:

    > "Pen Phill" wrote in
    >
    >> Thanks for the replies.It obviously seems the idea of using frames is
    >> generally considered a no no! I'll still have a play with them
    >> nevertheless but probably stick to a simpler setup in the end Thanks..

    > No Phill, frames and tables are only generally considered a no, no by
    > most of the regular and extremely helpful people who post answers here.
    > They are quite happy to keep scrolling up and down pages for menus,
    > where really for most non technical surfers a static menu in a frame is
    > much more sensible. But then most surfers are not disabling all and
    > sundry settings from their browsers, which on the whole they will be
    > using MS Explorer.
    >
    > JT

    Search engines does not use Internet Explorer. If a visitor arrives on an
    orphan page listed by a search engine, and the static menu page is missing,
    how is that non technical surfer supposed to navigate?

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Aug 1, 2003
  12. Pen Phill

    Steve Pugh Guest

    iljunk (Pen Phill) wrote:

    >However I still have the problem that I cannot (or don't know how to) load a
    >NEW frameset in a NEW screen from a link in an existing frameset.

    You've been told several times.
    will replace all the existing frames with new.html. If new.html is a
    frameset then you'll replace all the existing frames with that new
    frameset.

    Not the underscore, it's important.

    >or (what I
    >realy want to do) reset the two frames with new html content with a SINGLE
    >link from within one of the frames.

    Only possible by replacing the entire frameset. See above and previous
    messages.

    >ie have two targets and two hrefs in the html code for the lower frame.

    That's impossible unless you use JavaScript, but then you have to
    decide which of the two you want to work when JS is disabled.

    Steve Pugh, Aug 1, 2003
  13. Pen Phill

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Steve Pugh <> wrote:

    >Not the underscore

    Or even "note" it.

    Whoops, sorry.

    Steve Pugh, Aug 1, 2003
  14. "Adrienne" <> wrote in message
    > for most non technical surfers a static menu in a frame is
    > much more sensible.

    Presumably these "non-technical" people are quite to happy deal with fact that
    every bookmark from a framed site leads straight back to the home page?

    --
    Andrew Davidson
    Andrew Davidson, Aug 1, 2003
  15. Pen Phill

    > >Subject: Re: Help with links inside frames.
    > >From: "JT"
    > >Date: 01/08/03 12:19 Romance Daylight Time
    > >
    > >"Pen Phill" wrote
    > >

    > OK I feel much happier now :))
    > However I still have the problem that I cannot (or don't know how

    to) load a
    > NEW frameset in a NEW screen from a link in an existing frameset. or

    (what I
    > realy want to do) reset the two frames with new html content with a

    SINGLE
    > link from within one of the frames.
    >
    > ie have two targets and two hrefs in the html code for the lower

    frame.

    In addition to what Steve already said, here's an example.
    Is this what you mean?
    http://www.mediatech.nl/~rachel/temp-test/penphill/frameset3.html

    Sincerely,
    Els