help with little program in C

E. Robert Tisdale

Brian said:
Ha!
You say that
accusing me of introducing words that don't exist is not a flame!
It cut me to the quick.
People all over usenet (I'm sure)
recoiled in horror from the implication.

I was appalled. Simply appalled.

Dik T. Winter

Not so, I think. What you give for French "b" is more likely for Dutch,
in French the vowel would be a schwa. And "ooh" for 'u' is neither
valid in French nor Dutch. It is is more like the u-umlaut from German.

That is certain, and that is almost always my first association when
I see it.
> Do they have E-Z-Cheez in the U.K.? (-:

I once was playing a game (Three in Three, I think) which was full of
such things; all American English. It took me quite some time to
understand EZ = easy, because the English I was taught was British
English. And I still spell "ell eks ninety-three eks zed" when
giving the registration number of my car.

Richard Heathfield

Sidney said:
Please don't complain about punctuation, spelling or grammatical errors.
Ignore them or quietly fix them to reflect your understanding
of what was written if they bother you.

Your statement about whether or not to complain is something that allows
differences in opinion, but "quietly fixing" things is /never/
acceptable. This is a very presumptuous thing to do, since it associates
your (perhaps incorrect) interpretation [with] something that was said by
someone else.

The above redaction is an example of how to "fix" things unobtrusively and
yet honestly.

(For the brain-dead or possibly just half-asleep, I have changed "to" to
"[with]", with the square brackets drawing attention to the redaction.)

For the record, I agree with Joona. All this "ur" stuff places a minor speed
gain (if indeed there is such a gain) for the writer above readability for
many and perhaps all of his or her readers. This compares unfavourably with
established contractions such as "IMHO" (which compress a significant
amount of information into a single, widely-recognised and widely-accepted
lexical unit, thus saving time for reader /and/ writer).

<snip>

I.M.A Troll

Joona said:
There are no such words in the English language as "ur", "r" or "b".
Please write in English, not h4x0r d00dsp33k. Thanks.
Joona, Joona, Joona! Haven't you learned your lesson?

Slartibartfast

CBFalconer said:
......those abortions are even less likely to be decipherable.....

Ah, yes. The most enthusiastic member of the c.l.c. self appointed
style police.

Your use of the term "abortion" betrays your agenda. You are more
interested in making the world conform to your personal aesthetic
views than in intelligibility.

This was discussed at length in a recent thread, in which about the
only consensus was that these abbreviations are *perfectly*
comprehensible.

Joona I Palaste

I.M.A Troll said:
Joona, Joona, Joona! Haven't you learned your lesson?

What lesson? That using h4x0r d00dsp33k is perfectly acceptable and will
not irritate anyone? Why waste time learning proper English then?

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ------------- Finland --------\
"I am not very happy acting pleased whenever prominent scientists overmagnify

Joona I Palaste

Ah, yes. The most enthusiastic member of the c.l.c. self appointed
style police.
Your use of the term "abortion" betrays your agenda. You are more
interested in making the world conform to your personal aesthetic
views than in intelligibility.
This was discussed at length in a recent thread, in which about the
only consensus was that these abbreviations are *perfectly*
comprehensible.

Comprehensible, yes, but not preferable. I am allowed to have an
opinion on the style of writing here on comp.lang.c. And I have to
say, writing like a 10-year-old script kiddie doesn't give the
impression of a C programmer to be taken seriously. Not being perfect
at writing English is no problem - very few people are - but actively
*wanting* to write bad, mangled English like this is unacceptable to
me.

Peter Pichler

[and I shamelesly removed all useful context]
Why waste time learning proper English then?

A good question. That's probably why they don't bother in England anymore
;-)

Slartibartfast

Joona I Palaste said:
Comprehensible, yes, but not preferable. I am allowed to have an
opinion on the style of writing here on comp.lang.c. And I have to
say, writing like a 10-year-old script kiddie doesn't give the
impression of a C programmer to be taken seriously. Not being perfect
at writing English is no problem - very few people are - but actively
*wanting* to write bad, mangled English like this is unacceptable to
me.

.....preferable.....unacceptable to me..... These are all your
personal opinion, to which you are of course entitled. However you do
not have the right to chastise anybody for using a style which you
admit you find perfectly intelligible, but which is not your preferred
style. That is seeking to impose your personal preferences on others,
and is unacceptable in itself.

Having said that I don't much like it either, but I refuse to condemn
others for using it when I can understand perfectly well what is being
said.

The practice will continue whatever your views. So chill - you'll live
longer :eek:)

Richard Bos

This was discussed at length in a recent thread, in which about the
only consensus was that these abbreviations are *perfectly*
comprehensible.

FWIW, I frequently find them less than perfectly comprehensible. Of
course, the usually atrocious sentence composition of the worst
perpetrators doesn't help much, either.

Richard

Mark McIntyre

On 13 Jan 2004 07:49:59 -0800, in comp.lang.c ,
Ah, yes. The most enthusiastic member of the c.l.c. self appointed
style police.

oh, there's much more enthusiastic members, I assure you.
Your use of the term "abortion" betrays your agenda.

All thats betrayed here is the moronic nature of your response. Anyone
who starts talking about agendas has been reading far too many party
manifestos.
This was discussed at length in a recent thread, in which about the
only consensus was that these abbreviations are *perfectly*
comprehensible.

FWIW franglais is typically comprehensible, as is pidgin, but neither
of them is sensible to use here. You seem to be confusing
comprehensibility with sensibility.

Anupam

Hi

Seen ur mail. Hope _ur_ requirment is collection of programs in C. Go for many
question papers in C and few books _r_ available in the market

Test your C skills

Hidden Treasures of C
(BPB publications)

This will _b_ useful. I think so....

Regards,
Anand.
Hi,

First up,I think that those are books which are pursuant to DOS by design
and not recommended for learning Standardised C per se. Secondly inspite of
the fact that the underlines probably pinpoint innocent mistakes on your part,
you will face some pretty hot response, having experienced similar mulish
behaviour in the past. It would be my advice to refrain from using such
shortcuts in the future as they lead to huge conflagrations, at the end of
which you are accused of being the sole contributor. Note that all through I
maintain that this is a group with a lot of very worthy contributors and
interesting information. But they make people think a million times before
posting due to certain blockages. Were this technical, it would , in my mind,
be perfectly acceptable but the other areas of controversy generally inhibits
the fresh poster.

PS: I hope the space after the comma does not count as &*^* speak.

Regards,
Anupam

Slartibartfast

Mark McIntyre said:
On 13 Jan 2004 07:49:59 -0800, in comp.lang.c ,

oh, there's much more enthusiastic members, I assure you.

ITYM there ARE. If you're going to be critical you might as well be
correct.
FWIW franglais is typically comprehensible, as is pidgin, but neither
of them is sensible to use here. You seem to be confusing comprehensibility with sensibility.

You seem to be unable to read. Mr Falconer's use of the word
"decipherable" above has nothing to do with sensibility.

CBFalconer

Slartibartfast said:
ITYM there ARE. If you're going to be critical you might as
well be correct.

You seem to be unable to read. Mr Falconer's use of the word
"decipherable" above has nothing to do with sensibility.

It has to do with the use of non-English code phrases, such as
"u", decipherance of which requires knowledge of the English
pronounciation of the letter 'u'. Thus such usage leads
immediately to incomprehensibility, and makes the entire message
posting nonsense.

Joona I Palaste

It has to do with the use of non-English code phrases, such as
"u", decipherance of which requires knowledge of the English
pronounciation of the letter 'u'. Thus such usage leads
immediately to incomprehensibility, and makes the entire message
posting nonsense.

Which is even more irritating when you know the only reason the writer
uses "u" instead of "you" is a desperate attempt to appear as a k3wl
h1p d00d instead of a serious programmer.

pete

Joona said:
Which is even more irritating when you know the only reason the writer
uses "u" instead of "you" is a desperate attempt to appear as a k3wl
h1p d00d instead of a serious programmer.

It is best 2 not spoke ur nose on this matter.

Mark McIntyre

On 20 Jan 2004 03:31:03 -0800, in comp.lang.c ,
ITYM there ARE. If you're going to be critical you might as well be
correct.

correctly directed, pedantry is much admired in CLC.
You seem to be unable to read.

In fact I'm relatively good at that. I'm also good at *understanding*
what was written.
Mr Falconer's use of the word
"decipherable" above has nothing to do with sensibility.

I beg to differ. "u" and "r" are impossible to decipher for non-native
english speakers without considerable effort, as letter names are
pronounced differently.