help with localization

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Joe Glover, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. Joe Glover

    Joe Glover Guest

    Hi Paul

    I'm afraid that setting the page Culture and uiCulture properties only serve
    to set the executing threads CurrentCulture and CurrentUICulture properties
    respectively. Setting the Culture to Russian will at least ensure that
    things like dates & currencies will display correctly, and will affect some
    string comparisons and the rendering of certain server controls (for
    example, try a Calendar control). Setting the uiCulture will cause any
    resource lookups that you make go to the correct resource file, but there's
    no automatic generation of resource files as you may be used to with Windows
    Forms programming, and no automatic retrieval of the appropriate strings. As
    you guessed, you have to customize every label yourself.

    If you don't mind me plugging a company product, you might like to have a
    look at Localizer; its a component which adds design time localization
    support to VS WebForms:

    http://www.winformreports.co.uk/features_loc.htm

    the getting started guide has some info on where resource files should live
    and what they should be named:

    http://www.winformreports.co.uk/localizer_intro_howto.htm

    There is also an Enterprise Localization Toolkit available from MS; I
    haven't used it, but I've heard good things about it:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/entloctoolkit.asp

    Regards
    Joe

    "Paul M" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > can anyone help me with this one.... i have a page which is in normal
    > english format, but when i wanna change it to Russian format text, i set

    the

    Paul M, Jul 8, 2003

  3. Joe Glover

    Paul M Guest

    Thanks for your reply.

    I have gone ahead and created 2 assembly resource files for the 2 languages,
    but the non-english language does not display the text in the russian format
    as i want. Am i missing out on something here?

    regards,
    Paul.

    Paul M, Jul 9, 2003