help with localization

Joe Glover

Hi Paul

I'm afraid that setting the page Culture and uiCulture properties only serve
to set the executing threads CurrentCulture and CurrentUICulture properties
respectively. Setting the Culture to Russian will at least ensure that
things like dates & currencies will display correctly, and will affect some
string comparisons and the rendering of certain server controls (for
example, try a Calendar control). Setting the uiCulture will cause any
resource lookups that you make go to the correct resource file, but there's
no automatic generation of resource files as you may be used to with Windows
Forms programming, and no automatic retrieval of the appropriate strings. As
you guessed, you have to customize every label yourself.

If you don't mind me plugging a company product, you might like to have a
look at Localizer; its a component which adds design time localization
support to VS WebForms:

http://www.winformreports.co.uk/features_loc.htm

the getting started guide has some info on where resource files should live
and what they should be named:

http://www.winformreports.co.uk/localizer_intro_howto.htm

There is also an Enterprise Localization Toolkit available from MS; I
haven't used it, but I've heard good things about it:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/entloctoolkit.asp

Regards
Joe

Paul M

Hi there,

can anyone help me with this one.... i have a page which is in normal
english format, but when i wanna change it to Russian format text, i set the
Culture code, but it still remains the same. Does this mean that every bit
of text i need to convert every label on my screens in order for them to
show or is there an easier way to this?

thanks for anybody's help.

PM

Paul M

Thanks for your reply.

I have gone ahead and created 2 assembly resource files for the 2 languages,
but the non-english language does not display the text in the russian format
as i want. Am i missing out on something here?

regards,
Paul.