Help with newb's project

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by The_Kingpin, Oct 23, 2004.

  1. The_Kingpin

    The_Kingpin Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm new to C programming and looking for some help. I have a homework
    project to do
    and could use every tips, advises, code sample and references I can get.

    Here's what I need to do. I have a file named books.txt that contains all
    the informations
    on the books. Each book is a struc containing 6 fields written on
    separated line in the
    folder. I need to use the fgetc command to read the info of this file.

    The program must create 2 alphabetical order sorted by book's subject and
    for a
    same subject, the other info must be grouped by autor's name.

    The second list must be created sorted in decreasing order of the book's
    release date, and
    for each year, the info must be grouped by subject.

    Nos these two lists must also be created in another file named
    booksort.txt. Each autor's
    first and last name must be uniform (all lowercase except for the first
    character). Also,
    if a first name contains only 1 character, a '.' must follow (ie. Smith
    Marc L.). If a
    non-character is found ('-', ',', '.', etc.), we must replace it by a "/"
    and add the
    correct number of spaces (ie. Marc*Smith is now Marc / Smith)

    Finaly, we must change the date's format from the current file (m/d/yyyy)
    to (yyyy/mm/dd)

    Looks like a lot of job to me so as I said, I'm tking anything that can
    help me.
    Thanks for your time and for helping a newb finding his way !

    Frank

    The_Kingpin, Oct 23, 2004

  2. On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 18:33:50 -0400
    "The_Kingpin" <> wrote:
    hi there
    i think it will be better for you to take a good C - programming book and try doing things by yourself. I don't think it would be very difficult for you to write this program. But if you want to become a programmer you have to learn how to find solutions by yourself ;) This is enen more true when the program to write is a part of your homework.

    for a manual i think K&R is not a bad choice (have a look there is a thread in this group about the subject)

    BTW i don't think comp.lang.c is here to do you your homework ;)
    i think other people in this group will agree with my point of view ;)

    try doing your exercise (write some algorithms and stuff) and if there is something you don't understand give me a sign :)

    Vladimir

    PS: The only advice i can give you at the moment is to start thinking by yourself :) and _understand_ what's the purpose of each line of code you are writing.

    --
    Un*x is Sexy:
    who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger;

    Vladimir Kadychevski, Oct 23, 2004

  3. The_Kingpin

    Malcolm Guest

    "The_Kingpin" <> wrote

    > I'm new to C programming and looking for some help. I have a homework
    > project to do and could use every tips, advises, code sample and

    references
    > I can get.
    >
    > Here's what I need to do. I have a file named books.txt that contains all
    > the informations on the books. Each book is a struc containing 6 fields
    > written on separated line in the folder. I need to use the fgetc command

    > read the info of this file.

    First a bit of terminology. A "struct" is a C construct that groups related
    pieces of data in memory. A "record" is an entry in a database. Both records
    and structs have "fields", but normally we would call a struct "field" a
    member.

    fgetc() reads a file a byte at a time. There may be a reason your tutor
    wants you to use this function. Normally however one would use fgets() or
    fscanf() for the task.
    Reading a line into memory is relatively easy. The harder part is parsing
    it. Your options are the scanf() family of functions, which have a format
    string you need to learn to construct, strtok(), which will break up the
    string into tokens for you, or roll your own using strtol(), strcpy(),
    strcmp() and suchlike functions to break the line up.
    You need to be aware that data files are sometimes corrupt, and reject any
    malformed input.

    Having extracted the six fields, you simply assign them to the relevant
    members of the structure. So if you have title, author, price, publisher,
    year of publication, and Library of Congress number you might have

    struct book
    {
    char title[64];
    char author[64];
    char publisher[64];
    double price;
    int year;
    struct LibCongId congress_id;
    };

    struct LibCongId would contain the subfields used to contain a Library of
    Congress number.

    One problem is that you don't know how many records are in the file until
    you have parsed it. For this reason you need to use realloc() to expand your
    list of books, so you can read in a file of any size.

    > The program must create 2 alphabetical order sorted by book's subject and
    > for a same subject, the other info must be grouped by autor's name.
    >
    > The second list must be created sorted in decreasing order of the book's
    > release date, and for each year, the info must be grouped by subject.

    So you need to call qsort() twice, once with the first comparison function,
    output the data, and then with the second.

    > Nos these two lists must also be created in another file named
    > booksort.txt. Each autor's first and last name must be uniform (all

    lowercase
    > except for the first character). Also, if a first name contains only 1

    character,
    > a '.' must follow (ie. Smith Marc L.). If a non-character is found ('-',

    ',', '.',
    > etc.), we must replace it by a "/" and add the correct number of spaces

    (ie.
    > Marc*Smith is now Marc / Smith)

    This is a bit fiddly, and also wrong. Irish and Scottish names often don't
    follow those rules. You need a function formatname(char *out, const char
    *input)

    > Finaly, we must change the date's format from the current file (m/d/yyyy)
    > to (yyyy/mm/dd)

    That's not too difficult. Store all dates internally in your own format,
    then print them out as demanded.

    > Looks like a lot of job to me so as I said, I'm tking anything that can
    > help me.
    > Thanks for your time and for helping a newb finding his way !

    Post your code if you have any real problems. It is quite a task for a first
    program.
    Start by defining your structure for the records, and then write a function
    to read in one, like this

    /*
    reads a record
    returns 0 on success, -1 for read error, -2 for line too long (etc)
    */
    int readrecord(FILE *fp, struct book *out)

    The read in the whole file, calling realloc() where necessary, and write a
    test function to print it out to ensure it runs properly.
    Then write the sorts.
    Then write the output date, and then output your records.
    Finally write the name formatting code, which will can be left until last.
    If you can't do it at least you will have a 90% functional program.

    Malcolm, Oct 24, 2004
  4. The_Kingpin

    CBFalconer Guest

    The_Kingpin wrote:

    > I'm new to C programming and looking for some help. I have a
    > homework project to do and could use every tips, advises, code
    > sample and references I can get.
    >
    > Here's what I need to do. ... snip ...

    Here's what you need to do: Listen to your lectures, read your
    textbook, make a reasonable effort and then ask for help if you
    haven't discovered enough yourself.

    To have your homework done you must a) offer money b) supply your
    instructors e-mail address for the submission and c) supply your
    own real name and address. The money part will probably be covered
    by USD 100 per hour, in advance.

    As a free sample, here is a valid program that you can embellish:

    #include <stdio.h>
    int main(void) {return EOF == puts("Done");}

    It has the minor bug of undefined behaviour on an i/o error.

    --
    Chuck F () ()

    CBFalconer, Oct 24, 2004
  5. The_Kingpin

    Joe Wright Guest

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > The_Kingpin wrote:
    >
    >>I'm new to C programming and looking for some help. I have a
    >>homework project to do and could use every tips, advises, code
    >>sample and references I can get.
    >>
    >>Here's what I need to do. ... snip ...

    > Here's what you need to do: Listen to your lectures, read your
    > textbook, make a reasonable effort and then ask for help if you
    > haven't discovered enough yourself.
    >
    > To have your homework done you must a) offer money b) supply your
    > instructors e-mail address for the submission and c) supply your
    > own real name and address. The money part will probably be covered
    > by USD 100 per hour, in advance.
    >
    > As a free sample, here is a valid program that you can embellish:
    >
    > #include <stdio.h>
    > int main(void) {return EOF == puts("Done");}
    >
    > It has the minor bug of undefined behaviour on an i/o error.

    `info libc` says puts() returns EOF on error. Your program's return
    value is well defined it seems to me.

    Cheapskate. I bid $105 an hour. ;)

    --
    Joe Wright mailto:
    --- Albert Einstein ---

    Joe Wright, Oct 24, 2004
  6. The_Kingpin

    osmium Guest

    "The_Kingpin" writes:

    <scroll to end>

    > I'm new to C programming and looking for some help. I have a homework
    > project to do
    > and could use every tips, advises, code sample and references I can get.
    >
    > Here's what I need to do. I have a file named books.txt that contains all
    > the informations
    > on the books. Each book is a struc containing 6 fields written on
    > separated line in the
    > folder. I need to use the fgetc command to read the info of this file.
    >
    > The program must create 2 alphabetical order sorted by book's subject and
    > for a
    > same subject, the other info must be grouped by autor's name.
    >
    > The second list must be created sorted in decreasing order of the book's
    > release date, and
    > for each year, the info must be grouped by subject.
    >
    > Nos these two lists must also be created in another file named
    > booksort.txt. Each autor's
    > first and last name must be uniform (all lowercase except for the first
    > character). Also,
    > if a first name contains only 1 character, a '.' must follow (ie. Smith
    > Marc L.). If a
    > non-character is found ('-', ',', '.', etc.), we must replace it by a "/"
    > and add the
    > correct number of spaces (ie. Marc*Smith is now Marc / Smith)
    >
    > Finaly, we must change the date's format from the current file (m/d/yyyy)
    > to (yyyy/mm/dd)
    >

    > Looks like a lot of job to me so as I said, I'm tking anything that can
    > help me.

    Since you will have to do several sorts, you will want the data to be put
    in an array of structures, but you don't know a priori how many elements the
    array will have. So start by looking up qsort() and realloc(), both in
    <stdlib.h>. I assume you are already familiar with malloc(). You will have
    to write two or more compare functions to help qsort do its job. Lots of
    people have already had trouble with qsort() so google groups should help
    you if you need help.

    Change the date to yyyymmdd as soon as possible (not last as you say above)
    so the sorts can be performed in a sensible fashion. As someone has already
    suggested, treat the name, insofar as possible, as a black box, this is a
    time consuming fussy business and you may run out of time.

    Are you sure you understand the instructions? I was confused by Smith Marc
    L. From the text I would expect Smith M. You never tell us what the fields
    are but I guessed differently than one of the other posters. My guess was

    first name
    last name
    subject
    mm
    dd
    yyyy

    Your instructor won't expect much in the way of error handling so assume the
    input file ( I assume he provides it) is valid.

    osmium, Oct 24, 2004
  7. The_Kingpin

    The_Kingpin Guest

    Hi again all,

    First I just want to clarify certain things: I didn't want somebody to
    make it for me, maybe I wasn't clear. I just wanted some advices and
    organization tips for each section. Thanks Malcolm, your suggestions were
    really helpful.

    Anyway I started making my main function which reads every struct objects
    of a given file. To test it, I printed the results in the command window
    of the project. Here's what it gives so far. Just want some feedback on
    the way my function reads one line of the file and puts it in a new
    struct's field: (I didnt found the rules as far as posting code, if anyone
    can point it out if its not correct)

    struct book
    {
    char title[80];
    char autor[40];
    char editor[20];
    char ISBN[10];
    char subject[20];
    int release;
    };
    typedef struct book bookInfo;

    int main()
    {
    char c[50]; /* Store read lines */
    FILE *file; /* File pointer */
    bookInfo *books; /* array of book */
    int num_books = 0; /* keep count of number read in */
    int i, j;

    file = fopen("books.txt", "r");
    if(file==NULL) {
    printf("Error: can't open file.\n");
    return 1;
    }
    else {
    while(fgets(c, 50, file)!=NULL) {
    /* keep looping until NULL pointer */
    /* allocate memory dynamically for our books array */

    if(num_books==0) {
    books = calloc(1, sizeof(bookInfo));
    }
    else {
    books = realloc(books, (num_books+1)*sizeof(bookInfo));
    }

    //Title Field
    for(i=0, j=0 ; c!='\t' ; i++, j++) {
    /* Loops until a tab character is reached */
    books[num_books].title[j] = c;
    }
    /* Terminate string by adding a null character */
    books[num_books].title[j] = '\0';

    // Autor Field
    for(i++, j=0 ; c!='\n'; i++, j++) {
    /* Loops until a tab character is reached
    books[num_books].autor[j] = c;
    }
    /* Terminate string by adding a null character *//
    books[num_books].autor[j] = '\0';

    // other struct's fields...
    }

    fclose(file); /* close file */

    The_Kingpin, Oct 24, 2004
  9. The_Kingpin

    Malcolm Guest

    "Joe Wright" <> wrote

    > > #include <stdio.h>
    > > int main(void) {return EOF == puts("Done");}
    > >
    > > It has the minor bug of undefined behaviour on an i/o error.
    > >

    > `info libc` says puts() returns EOF on error. Your program's return
    > value is well defined it seems to me.

    However a return value of "true" from main() is not defined.

    > Cheapskate. I bid $105 an hour. ;)

    You can get advice from some highly qualified people for absolutely free on
    comp.lang.c, and certainly if a company decided to hire me out as a guru
    then a hundred dollars (or about seventy quid) an hour wouldn't be too
    unreasonable a figure.

    The problem with "help me with my homework" requests is that you want the OP
    to put in some effort, but simply writing some code not normally a good way
    to approach a problem. He needs to break down the task into sections, and
    plan the program. So the best time to get advice is at the beginning, before
    you have written a single line.

    Advice isn't the same thing as a homework doing service. Obviously most
    homework problems are so simple that an experienced C programmer could just
    sit down and write the thing straight off, but this isn't helpful. However
    just saying "show me some code" isn't too helpful either.

    Malcolm, Oct 24, 2004
  10. CBFalconer <> writes:
    [...]
    > As a free sample, here is a valid program that you can embellish:
    >
    > #include <stdio.h>
    > int main(void) {return EOF == puts("Done");}
    >
    > It has the minor bug of undefined behaviour on an i/o error.

    Executing "return 1;" from main returns an implementation-defined
    status to the host environment; it doesn't invoke undefined behavior.

    Keith Thompson, Oct 24, 2004
  11. The_Kingpin

    Al Bowers Guest

    The_Kingpin wrote:

    > Hi again all,
    >

    > Anyway I started making my main function which reads every struct objects
    > of a given file. To test it, I printed the results in the command window
    > of the project. Here's what it gives so far. Just want some feedback on
    > the way my function reads one line of the file and puts it in a new
    > struct's field: (I didnt found the rules as far as posting code, if anyone
    > can point it out if its not correct)

    The code appears ok but I have a few suggestions.

    > struct book
    > {
    > char title[80];
    > char autor[40];
    > char editor[20];
    > char ISBN[10];

    Made this bigger.
    char ISBN[20];
    > char subject[20];
    > int release;
    > };
    > typedef struct book bookInfo;

    I would define another struct that has as members, one, a pointer
    to the array of books, and, two, a member in which you keep a count
    of the number of elements. Example:

    typedef struct BOOKSET
    {
    bookInfo *book;
    size_t num;
    } BOOKSET;

    Instead of putting all the code in function main, write seperate
    functions that will manipulate the struct object. For example,
    functions AddBook, PrintBookSet, FreeBookSet, etc.

    > int main()
    > {
    > char c[50]; /* Store read lines */

    Make this bigger.
    char c[200];

    > FILE *file; /* File pointer */
    > bookInfo *books; /* array of book */
    > int num_books = 0; /* keep count of number read in */
    > int i, j;
    >
    > file = fopen("books.txt", "r");
    > if(file==NULL) {
    > printf("Error: can't open file.\n");
    > return 1;
    > }
    > else {
    > while(fgets(c, 50, file)!=NULL) {
    > /* keep looping until NULL pointer */
    > /* allocate memory dynamically for our books array */
    >
    > if(num_books==0) {
    > books = calloc(1, sizeof(bookInfo));
    > }
    > else {
    > books = realloc(books, (num_books+1)*sizeof(bookInfo));
    > }

    The if-else is not needed. Function realloc can handle all
    allocations. See the code below for an example.

    > //Title Field
    > for(i=0, j=0 ; c!='\t' ; i++, j++) {
    > /* Loops until a tab character is reached */
    > books[num_books].title[j] = c;
    > }
    > /* Terminate string by adding a null character */
    > books[num_books].title[j] = '\0';
    >

    > // Autor Field
    > for(i++, j=0 ; c!='\n'; i++, j++) {
    > /* Loops until a tab character is reached
    > books[num_books].autor[j] = c;
    > }
    > /* Terminate string by adding a null character *//
    > books[num_books].autor[j] = '\0';
    >
    > // other struct's fields...

    You might consider using sscanf to parse the line in the file.

    > }
    >
    > fclose(file); /* close file */

    Here is an example that uses the colon:)) as the delimiter.

    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>

    struct BOOK
    {
    char title[80];
    char autor[40];
    char editor[20];
    char ISBN[20];
    char subject[20];
    int release;
    };

    typedef struct BOOKSET
    {
    struct BOOK *book;
    size_t num;
    } BOOKSET;
    /* Prototypes */
    int AddBook(BOOKSET *p, char *s);
    void PrintBook(struct BOOK *p);
    void PrintBookSet(BOOKSET *p);
    void FreeBOOKSET(BOOKSET *p);

    int main(void)
    {
    char c1[] = "The New American Bible:IMPRIMATURE James Hickey:"
    "World Publishing:052906484-7:Religion:5";
    char c2[] = "Mastering Algorithms With C:Kyle Loudon:O'Reilly:"
    "1-5652-453-3:progamming:2";
    BOOKSET mylibrary = {NULL}; /* Empty bookshelf */

    AddBook(&mylibrary,c1);
    AddBook(&mylibrary,c2);
    PrintBookSet(&mylibrary);
    FreeBOOKSET(&mylibrary);
    return 0;
    }

    int AddBook(BOOKSET *p, char *s)
    {
    struct BOOK *tmp;

    if((tmp = realloc(p->book,(sizeof *p->book)*(p->num+1))) == NULL)
    return 0;
    p->book = tmp;
    if(6 != sscanf(s,"%[^:]:%[^:]:%[^:]:%[^:]:%[^:]:%d",
    p->book[p->num].title,p->book[p->num].autor,
    p->book[p->num].editor,p->book[p->num].ISBN,
    p->book[p->num].subject,&p->book[p->num].release))
    return 0;
    p->num++;
    return 1;
    }

    void PrintBook(struct BOOK *p)
    {
    printf("Title: %s\n"
    "Author: %s\n"
    "Editor: %s\n"
    "Subj: %s\n"
    "ISBN: %s\n"
    "Release: %d\n\n",p->title,p->autor,p->editor,
    p->subject,p->ISBN,p->release);
    return;
    }

    void PrintBookSet(BOOKSET *p)
    {
    size_t i;

    for(i = 0; i < p->num;i++) PrintBook(&p->book);
    return;
    }

    void FreeBOOKSET(BOOKSET *p)
    {
    free(p->book);
    p->book = NULL;
    p->num = 0;

    Al Bowers
    Tampa, Fl USA
    mailto: (remove the x to send email)
    http://www.geocities.com/abowers822/

    Al Bowers, Oct 25, 2004
  12. The_Kingpin

    Joe Wright Guest

    Malcolm wrote:

    > "Joe Wright" <> wrote
    >
    >>>#include <stdio.h>
    >>>int main(void) {return EOF == puts("Done");}
    >>>
    >>>It has the minor bug of undefined behaviour on an i/o error.
    >>>

    >>`info libc` says puts() returns EOF on error. Your program's return
    >>value is well defined it seems to me.
    >>

    > However a return value of "true" from main() is not defined.
    >
    >>Cheapskate. I bid $105 an hour. ;)
    >>

    > You can get advice from some highly qualified people for absolutely free on
    > comp.lang.c, and certainly if a company decided to hire me out as a guru
    > then a hundred dollars (or about seventy quid) an hour wouldn't be too
    > unreasonable a figure.
    >
    > The problem with "help me with my homework" requests is that you want the OP
    > to put in some effort, but simply writing some code not normally a good way
    > to approach a problem. He needs to break down the task into sections, and
    > plan the program. So the best time to get advice is at the beginning, before
    > you have written a single line.
    >
    > Advice isn't the same thing as a homework doing service. Obviously most
    > homework problems are so simple that an experienced C programmer could just
    > sit down and write the thing straight off, but this isn't helpful. However
    > just saying "show me some code" isn't too helpful either.

    That is a very nice, thoughtful and serious response to my note to
    Chuck. I was being a little facetious. I'm sure most of us agree
    with your sentiments above. I do.

    Often, the poster would offer money for one or any of us to do the
    homework. Although we delight in working for money, our clients are
    not usually programming students asking for help cheating on their
    exams. The 'student' poster might attract a bid from someone, "I'll
    do it for $100" for example. The poster sees the 'bite' and assumes
    others will under-bid the first one.

    We don't. We bid it up. Each new bid is higher than the previous
    one. None of us actually accept the offer (do we?) but simply
    delight in the poster's confusion as bids go up beyond his means and
    he finally realizes his foolishness.

    --
    Joe Wright mailto:
    --- Albert Einstein ---