Help with PAR.

Walter Chisenski

Alright PAR gurus. I'm running Mac OS X 10.3 and just installed PAR, as
I'm trying to improve my Perl skills.

I ran the following commands to configure CPAN and install PAR.

sudo perl -MCPAN -eshell
install Bundle::CPAN
install PAR

It went through and looked like it completed 'make', 'make test' and
'make install' without any issues. After finishing, I attempted to
compile my first Perl script

pp -o hello hello.pl (Yes, Hello World :)

It completed without error, but when I run the UNIX executable I'm
getting the following errors before the script runs:

format error: bad signature: 0xcefaedfe at offset 0 in file
IO::File=GLOB(0x18f1d90)
at -e line 660
format error: bad signature: 0x00000000 at offset 165 in file
IO::File=GLOB(0x18f1d90)
at -e line 159
format error: bad signature: 0x4741505f at offset 37 in file
IO::File=GLOB(0x18f1d90)
at ../blib/lib/PAR.pm line 211

After the errors it runs the script (as simple as it is) without issue.
I understand that File::GLOB is a Perl extension (or module) for the BSD
glob routine and of course PAR.pm is a PAR file... Any ideas why I'm
seeing the error?

Is anyone else using PAR on OS X? Is there something about OS X that
PAR doesn't like without doing some additional configuration? Any
information or help would be great!

ko

Walter Chisenski wrote:

[snip]
After finishing, I attempted to
compile my first Perl script

pp -o hello hello.pl (Yes, Hello World :)

It completed without error, but when I run the UNIX executable I'm
getting the following errors before the script runs:

format error: bad signature: 0xcefaedfe at offset 0 in file
IO::File=GLOB(0x18f1d90)
at -e line 660
format error: bad signature: 0x00000000 at offset 165 in file
IO::File=GLOB(0x18f1d90)
at -e line 159
format error: bad signature: 0x4741505f at offset 37 in file
IO::File=GLOB(0x18f1d90)
at ../blib/lib/PAR.pm line 211

[snip]

This was discussed a couple of weeks ago:

http://groups.google.com/groups?th=354cac850fee8c26

A simple comp.lang.perl.misc Google search on 'par glob error' would
have also given the answer...

HTH - keith

Anno Siegel

Walter Chisenski said:
Alright PAR gurus. I'm running Mac OS X 10.3 and just installed PAR, as
I'm trying to improve my Perl skills.
[...]

format error: bad signature: 0xcefaedfe at offset 0 in file
IO::File=GLOB(0x18f1d90)
at -e line 660

Googling for "format error: bad signature" shows you're not the only
one with that problem. I haven't followed the links, but there seems
to be an Archive::Zip connection.

Anno

Walter Chisenski

Thanks to both Anno and Keith for the replies.

While I did Google and read the older thread in this group that you
listed, I wasn't sure the issue was related per se, due to the File=GLOB
error being different (PAR.pm vs. Module.pm). I suppose that's due to
my low level of knowledge with Perl.

Either way, I did install PAR-0.76_99 and the issue is resolved.

Thanks,