Help with PAR.

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Walter Chisenski, Dec 28, 2003.

  1. Alright PAR gurus. I'm running Mac OS X 10.3 and just installed PAR, as
    I'm trying to improve my Perl skills.

    I ran the following commands to configure CPAN and install PAR.

    sudo perl -MCPAN -eshell
    install Bundle::CPAN
    install PAR

    It went through and looked like it completed 'make', 'make test' and
    'make install' without any issues. After finishing, I attempted to
    compile my first Perl script

    pp -o hello hello.pl (Yes, Hello World :)

    It completed without error, but when I run the UNIX executable I'm
    getting the following errors before the script runs:

    format error: bad signature: 0xcefaedfe at offset 0 in file
    IO::File=GLOB(0x18f1d90)
    at -e line 660
    format error: bad signature: 0x00000000 at offset 165 in file
    IO::File=GLOB(0x18f1d90)
    at -e line 159
    format error: bad signature: 0x4741505f at offset 37 in file
    IO::File=GLOB(0x18f1d90)
    at ../blib/lib/PAR.pm line 211

    After the errors it runs the script (as simple as it is) without issue.
    I understand that File::GLOB is a Perl extension (or module) for the BSD
    glob routine and of course PAR.pm is a PAR file... Any ideas why I'm
    seeing the error?

    Is anyone else using PAR on OS X? Is there something about OS X that
    PAR doesn't like without doing some additional configuration? Any
    information or help would be great!

    --
    Walter

    Walter Chisenski, Dec 28, 2003

  2. Walter Chisenski

    ko Guest

    Walter Chisenski wrote:

    [snip]

    > After finishing, I attempted to
    > compile my first Perl script
    >
    > pp -o hello hello.pl (Yes, Hello World :)
    >
    > It completed without error, but when I run the UNIX executable I'm
    > getting the following errors before the script runs:
    >
    > format error: bad signature: 0xcefaedfe at offset 0 in file
    > IO::File=GLOB(0x18f1d90)
    > at -e line 660
    > format error: bad signature: 0x00000000 at offset 165 in file
    > IO::File=GLOB(0x18f1d90)
    > at -e line 159
    > format error: bad signature: 0x4741505f at offset 37 in file
    > IO::File=GLOB(0x18f1d90)
    > at ../blib/lib/PAR.pm line 211

    [snip]

    This was discussed a couple of weeks ago:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?th=354cac850fee8c26

    A simple comp.lang.perl.misc Google search on 'par glob error' would
    have also given the answer...

    HTH - keith

    ko, Dec 28, 2003

  3. Walter Chisenski

    Anno Siegel Guest

    Walter Chisenski <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > Alright PAR gurus. I'm running Mac OS X 10.3 and just installed PAR, as
    > I'm trying to improve my Perl skills.

    [...]

    > format error: bad signature: 0xcefaedfe at offset 0 in file
    > IO::File=GLOB(0x18f1d90)
    > at -e line 660

    Googling for "format error: bad signature" shows you're not the only
    one with that problem. I haven't followed the links, but there seems
    to be an Archive::Zip connection.

    Anno

    Anno Siegel, Dec 28, 2003
  4. Thanks to both Anno and Keith for the replies.

    While I did Google and read the older thread in this group that you
    listed, I wasn't sure the issue was related per se, due to the File=GLOB
    error being different (PAR.pm vs. Module.pm). I suppose that's due to
    my low level of knowledge with Perl.

    Either way, I did install PAR-0.76_99 and the issue is resolved.

    Thanks,

    --
    Walter

    Walter Chisenski, Dec 28, 2003