Help with Perl & HTTP

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Peter, Oct 22, 2006.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I am an embedded systems person with no experience on a PC except running
    VB4/6 and generally using it for email, word processing, CRM, etc. I have
    been asked to provide facilities for:
    "The sending server will implement a Java Servlet to map the XML output
    stream onto HTTP port 80 or port 443 for HTTPS. Customer (me)will implement
    (a TBD) method on their web server to map the input XML stream.

    The sending server(SS) shall send either one message or a packet of several
    messages during a single HTTP connection. Customer will send a response
    message to indicate that a complete message was received. If the SS does not
    receive a positive indication, the SS will re-send the message until there
    is a successful transmission.

    The HTTP/XML interface will use the standard HTTP/1.1 web protocol and XML
    content to send and receive data. For XML responses, the appropriate HTTP
    status code and appropriate XML entity body are required. "

    I am told that Perl is the language of choice. I have started reading a book
    on XML and will followup on a Perl book. Is there a publication that
    integrates Perl, XML and HTTPS that someone can recommend? How hard is it to
    set up what I have 'very briefly' described?

    Thanks

    Peter
    Peter, Oct 22, 2006