    but when clicked you get the 404 error.
    Anybody PLEASE HELP
    Robert

    Robert, Jul 8, 2003

  2. "Robert" <> wrote in message
    news:ConOa.184174$...
    > Any help on this would be great since its a free script there is no

    support.
    > I have a website on a win2k server running MSFP 2002 extensions. The

    script
    > should create a html file on the fly but it won't. The script is one of
    > those post card scripts that sends an e-mail and a link to the card. All
    > works fine except for the card creation. The e-mail it sends contains a

    link
    > but when clicked you get the 404 error.
    > Anybody PLEASE HELP
    > Robert

    Please study the Posting Guidelines for this Usenet news group before
    posting:
    sc+group:comp.lang.perl.misc&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.lang.perl.misc&sa
    fe=off&scoring=d&selm=kbCdnWZGuuE_bWajRTvU2Q%40august.net&rnum=4

    James E Keenan, Jul 8, 2003

  3. You may want to choose a better subject. If you are posting in this NG then
    it better is a posting about Perl or a Perl script. And most of the postings
    here are requests for help.

    So you just missed the one most important chance of getting someones
    attention.

    Robert wrote:
    > Any help on this would be great since its a free script there is no
    > support. I have a website on a win2k server running MSFP 2002
    > extensions. The script should create a html file on the fly but it
    > won't. The script is one of those post card scripts that sends an
    > e-mail and a link to the card. All works fine except for the card
    > creation.

    Well, then I guess you need to check the "card creation" subroutine.
    Did you see the syntax error on line 42?

    > The e-mail it sends contains a link but when clicked you
    > get the 404 error. Anybody PLEASE HELP

    Maybe "perldoc -q 500" might help you fixing it.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jul 8, 2003
  4. Robert

    Helgi Briem Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:30:42 GMT, "Robert" <> wrote:

    >Any help on this would be great since its a free script there is no support.
    >I have a website on a win2k server running MSFP 2002 extensions. The script
    >should create a html file on the fly but it won't. The script is one of
    >those post card scripts that sends an e-mail and a link to the card. All
    >works fine except for the card creation. The e-mail it sends contains a link
    >but when clicked you get the 404 error.

    Your veeblefetzer may have developed a winkle
    in its frobnitzer.

    Helgi Briem, Jul 8, 2003
  5. In article <>,
    (Helgi Briem) wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:30:42 GMT, "Robert" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Any help on this would be great since its a free script there is no support.
    > >I have a website on a win2k server running MSFP 2002 extensions. The script
    > >should create a html file on the fly but it won't. The script is one of
    > >those post card scripts that sends an e-mail and a link to the card. All
    > >works fine except for the card creation. The e-mail it sends contains a link
    > >but when clicked you get the 404 error.

    > Your veeblefetzer may have developed a winkle
    > in its frobnitzer.

    uh-oh... here we go again with "Robert"'s (the o.p) snappy comebacks...
    sure glad _i_ killfiled him!

    --
    Michael Budash

    Michael Budash, Jul 8, 2003
  6. "Robert" <> wrote in message
    > Any help on this would be great since its a free script there is no

    support.
    > I have a website on a win2k server running MSFP 2002 extensions. The

    script
    > should create a html file on the fly but it won't. The script is one of
    > those post card scripts that sends an e-mail and a link to the card. All
    > works fine except for the card creation. The e-mail it sends contains a

    link
    > but when clicked you get the 404 error.
    > Anybody PLEASE HELP
    > Robert

    Robert,

    One of the reasons you haven't succeeded in finding help is that you've
    shown no evidence of what you've tried and what didn't work. I'm providing
    information below, which, if accurate for your situation, is information you
    could have provided in your first posting, thereby avaoiding a lot of wasted
    bandwidth and aggravation.

    "Help with Perl Script" and "... but it won't" are not diagnoses that would
    get you anywhere, even with a Google or Google Groups search.

    I tried a Google Groups search and found a likely candidate for what you're
    trying to do, which if I'm correct, is a laudable pursuit.

    http://www.falconbrigade.com/card.html

    Is that yours?

    Having found there (from the source) that card.cgi is the script, I did a
    Google search for "perl postcard script card.cgi" and found, among others,

    http://bignosebird.com/carchive/cardcgi.shtml

    Now, I've looked at the Script and Readme Files' links on the above-cited
    page. If "CARD.CGI: A Virtual Greeting Card Server Script" is the script
    with which you're having trouble, I'd suggest you read the posting
    guidelines first, and then ask questions that are compliant with said
    guidelines.

    You may wish to pop a nice pill before you ask again. Please keep in mind
    that what you write will be inscribed on the Google archives, always ready
    to show anyone who inquires about you information you might prefer was not
    available.

    Good luck with your postcard script.

    Cheers.

    Bill Segraves

    William Alexander Segraves, Jul 8, 2003
  7. "William Alexander Segraves" <> wrote in message
    > "Robert" <> wrote in message
    > > Any help on this would be great since its a free script there is no

    > support.
    > > I have a website on a win2k server running MSFP 2002 extensions. The

    > script
    > > should create a html file on the fly but it won't. The script is one of
    > > those post card scripts that sends an e-mail and a link to the card. All
    > > works fine except for the card creation. The e-mail it sends contains a

    > link
    > > but when clicked you get the 404 error.
    > > Anybody PLEASE HELP
    > > Robert

    <snip>
    > http://www.falconbrigade.com/card.html
    >
    > Is that yours?

    Never mind. The above site likely has the same problem you're having. I
    tried the script there, receiving an E-mail with the link

    http://falconbrigade.com/cards/jul9-728801936.html

    I get "HTTP 404 - File not found", same as you did. This does not
    necessarily mean the file is not being generated; but rather it might
    indicate the subdirectory "cards" is not in the correct location or does not
    have correct permissions, i.e., same as those of the directory that contains
    your HTML.

    Note that this is not a Perl problem, which might explain why you found
    little or no interest here. If you'd like to create a subdirectory "cards"
    in the directory that contains your HTML (same directory path as card.html)
    and put the above card in it, I'd be glad to check the link from the E-mail
    I've already received.

    IMO, it's even a stretch to call it a CGI problem. Regardless, I'd suggest
    you move this (civil) thread over to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi,
    where you'll likely find help with configuring your script.

    Cheers!

    Bill Segraves

    William Alexander Segraves, Jul 9, 2003
  8. Robert

    Sara Guest

    ..

    Sara, Jul 9, 2003
  9. Robert

    Helgi Briem Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:32:53 -0500, "William Alexander Segraves"
    <> wrote:

    >Let's see if I understand your logic. You have a problem
    >which you steadfastly refuse to describe to me. I am not
    >able to glean enough relevant clues from your posting
    >to improve on your definition of the problem; so I
    >am an unhelpful nitwit.

    Bill, this message was a joke, a sarcastic paraphrasing
    of the earlier one from *Robert*.

    It goes to show what can happen when people
    forget or refuse to use smileys.

    Helgi Briem, Jul 10, 2003
  10. "Helgi Briem" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:32:53 -0500, "William Alexander Segraves"
    > <> wrote:

    <snip>

    > Bill, this message was a joke, a sarcastic paraphrasing
    > of the earlier one from *Robert*.

    Thanks, Helgi.

    I was just trying to show what can happen when people use twisted logic to
    duck the responsibility for their own inadequacies.

    > It goes to show what can happen when people
    > forget or refuse to use smileys.

    Indeed. I should have used a smiley myself. :)

    Cheers.

    Bill Segraves

    William Alexander Segraves, Jul 10, 2003
  11. Robert

    Sara Guest

    (Helgi Briem) wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:32:53 -0500, "William Alexander Segraves"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Let's see if I understand your logic. You have a problem
    > >which you steadfastly refuse to describe to me. I am not
    > >able to glean enough relevant clues from your posting
    > >to improve on your definition of the problem; so I
    > >am an unhelpful nitwit.

    > Bill, this message was a joke, a sarcastic paraphrasing
    > of the earlier one from *Robert*.
    >
    > It goes to show what can happen when people
    > forget or refuse to use smileys.

    Tomorrow on Perl Network- "The Perils & Dangers of Not Using Emoticons!"

    -Gx

    Sara, Jul 10, 2003