Help with Perl Script

Robert

Any help on this would be great since its a free script there is no support.
I have a website on a win2k server running MSFP 2002 extensions. The script
should create a html file on the fly but it won't. The script is one of
those post card scripts that sends an e-mail and a link to the card. All
works fine except for the card creation. The e-mail it sends contains a link
but when clicked you get the 404 error.
Anybody PLEASE HELP
Robert

James E Keenan

Robert said:
Any help on this would be great since its a free script there is no support.
I have a website on a win2k server running MSFP 2002 extensions. The script
should create a html file on the fly but it won't. The script is one of
those post card scripts that sends an e-mail and a link to the card. All
works fine except for the card creation. The e-mail it sends contains a link
but when clicked you get the 404 error.
Anybody PLEASE HELP
Robert
Please study the Posting Guidelines for this Usenet news group before
posting:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Posting+Guidelines+group:comp.lang.perl.mi
sc+group:comp.lang.perl.misc&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.lang.perl.misc&sa
fe=off&scoring=d&selm=kbCdnWZGuuE_bWajRTvU2Q%40august.net&rnum=4

Jürgen Exner

You may want to choose a better subject. If you are posting in this NG then
it better is a posting about Perl or a Perl script. And most of the postings
here are requests for help.

So you just missed the one most important chance of getting someones
attention.
Any help on this would be great since its a free script there is no
support. I have a website on a win2k server running MSFP 2002
extensions. The script should create a html file on the fly but it
won't. The script is one of those post card scripts that sends an
e-mail and a link to the card. All works fine except for the card
creation.

Well, then I guess you need to check the "card creation" subroutine.
Did you see the syntax error on line 42?
The e-mail it sends contains a link but when clicked you
get the 404 error. Anybody PLEASE HELP

Maybe "perldoc -q 500" might help you fixing it.

jue

Helgi Briem

Any help on this would be great since its a free script there is no support.
I have a website on a win2k server running MSFP 2002 extensions. The script
should create a html file on the fly but it won't. The script is one of
those post card scripts that sends an e-mail and a link to the card. All
works fine except for the card creation. The e-mail it sends contains a link
but when clicked you get the 404 error.

Your veeblefetzer may have developed a winkle
in its frobnitzer.

Michael Budash

Your veeblefetzer may have developed a winkle
in its frobnitzer.

uh-oh... here we go again with "Robert"'s (the o.p) snappy comebacks...
sure glad _i_ killfiled him!

William Alexander Segraves

Robert said:
Any help on this would be great since its a free script there is no support.
I have a website on a win2k server running MSFP 2002 extensions. The script
should create a html file on the fly but it won't. The script is one of
those post card scripts that sends an e-mail and a link to the card. All
works fine except for the card creation. The e-mail it sends contains a link
but when clicked you get the 404 error.
Anybody PLEASE HELP
Robert

Robert,

One of the reasons you haven't succeeded in finding help is that you've
shown no evidence of what you've tried and what didn't work. I'm providing
information below, which, if accurate for your situation, is information you
could have provided in your first posting, thereby avaoiding a lot of wasted
bandwidth and aggravation.

"Help with Perl Script" and "... but it won't" are not diagnoses that would
get you anywhere, even with a Google or Google Groups search.

I tried a Google Groups search and found a likely candidate for what you're
trying to do, which if I'm correct, is a laudable pursuit.

http://www.falconbrigade.com/card.html

Is that yours?

Having found there (from the source) that card.cgi is the script, I did a
Google search for "perl postcard script card.cgi" and found, among others,

http://bignosebird.com/carchive/cardcgi.shtml

Now, I've looked at the Script and Readme Files' links on the above-cited
page. If "CARD.CGI: A Virtual Greeting Card Server Script" is the script
with which you're having trouble, I'd suggest you read the posting
guidelines first, and then ask questions that are compliant with said
guidelines.

You may wish to pop a nice pill before you ask again. Please keep in mind
that what you write will be inscribed on the Google archives, always ready
to show anyone who inquires about you information you might prefer was not
available.

Good luck with your postcard script.

Cheers.

Bill Segraves

William Alexander Segraves

Never mind. The above site likely has the same problem you're having. I
tried the script there, receiving an E-mail with the link

http://falconbrigade.com/cards/jul9-728801936.html

I get "HTTP 404 - File not found", same as you did. This does not
necessarily mean the file is not being generated; but rather it might
indicate the subdirectory "cards" is not in the correct location or does not
have correct permissions, i.e., same as those of the directory that contains
your HTML.

Note that this is not a Perl problem, which might explain why you found
little or no interest here. If you'd like to create a subdirectory "cards"
in the directory that contains your HTML (same directory path as card.html)
and put the above card in it, I'd be glad to check the link from the E-mail
I've already received.

IMO, it's even a stretch to call it a CGI problem. Regardless, I'd suggest
you move this (civil) thread over to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi,
where you'll likely find help with configuring your script.

Cheers!

Bill Segraves

Helgi Briem

Let's see if I understand your logic. You have a problem
which you steadfastly refuse to describe to me. I am not
able to glean enough relevant clues from your posting
to improve on your definition of the problem; so I
am an unhelpful nitwit.

Bill, this message was a joke, a sarcastic paraphrasing
of the earlier one from *Robert*.

It goes to show what can happen when people
forget or refuse to use smileys.

William Alexander Segraves

Bill, this message was a joke, a sarcastic paraphrasing
of the earlier one from *Robert*.

Thanks, Helgi.

I was just trying to show what can happen when people use twisted logic to
duck the responsibility for their own inadequacies.
It goes to show what can happen when people
forget or refuse to use smileys.

Indeed. I should have used a smiley myself. :)

Cheers.

Bill Segraves

Sara

Bill, this message was a joke, a sarcastic paraphrasing
of the earlier one from *Robert*.

It goes to show what can happen when people
forget or refuse to use smileys.

Tomorrow on Perl Network- "The Perils & Dangers of Not Using Emoticons!"

-Gx