help with perl search/replace regex

solaristar

So i have a file with a line

foo_bar_baz (some amount of whitespace) 100 (a number)

I basically want to have a search regex that searches foo_bar_baz(and
then to the end of the line regardless of what text)

and replace it with foo_bar_baz \t (tab) 101 (some dif number

---

my command is as such but isnt working

perl -i -pe 's/minutes_between_backups$/minutes_between_backups
\t1020/' /etc/myconffile*.conf

I thought $ matched to the end of the line?

solaristar

So i have a file with a line

foo_bar_baz (some amount of whitespace) 100 (a number)

I basically want to have a search regex that searches foo_bar_baz(and
then to the end of the line regardless of what text)

and replace it with foo_bar_baz \t (tab) 101 (some dif number

---

my command is as such but isnt working

perl -i -pe 's/minutes_between_backups$/minutes_between_backups
\t1020/' /etc/myconffile*.conf

I thought $ matched to the end of the line?

figured it out

perl -i -pe 's/minutes_between_backups.*/minutes_between_backups\t
\t1020/' /etc/myconf*.conf

thanks to

http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/Perl/matching.html

Jürgen Exner

solaristar said:
So i have a file with a line

foo_bar_baz (some amount of whitespace) 100 (a number)

I basically want to have a search regex that searches foo_bar_baz(and
then to the end of the line regardless of what text)

and replace it with foo_bar_baz \t (tab) 101 (some dif number

my command is as such but isnt working

perl -i -pe 's/minutes_between_backups$/minutes_between_backups
\t1020/' /etc/myconffile*.conf

/minutes_between_backups/ will never match 'foo_bar_buz'.
I thought $ matched to the end of the line?

It matches the end of the line itself. If you want to match whatever
text between the current position and the end of the line then simply
use '.*'.

jue

solaristar

/minutes_between_backups/ will never match 'foo_bar_buz'.

It matches the end of the line itself. If you want to match whatever
text between the current position and the end of the line then simply
use '.*'.

jue

yup thanks i figured it out a bit after i posted hehe, i was using the
foo_bar_baz as an example of the text, not as the literal text :)
thanks for the reply though