Help with PittsburghVibe.com

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Andreas.W.Beck@gmail.com, Sep 9, 2008.

  1. Guest

    , Sep 9, 2008

  2. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > Tell me what you like and don't like about my website ...

    That is has many html errors and many very basic CSS errors.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 9, 2008

  3. wrote:
    > Tell me what you like and don't like about my website www.pittsburghvibe.com

    Don't use MS Office product for web design other than to compose and| or
    spell and grammar check the "copy" (PLAIN TEXT).

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 9, 2008
  4. Ari Heino Guest

    kirjoitti:
    > Tell me what you like and don't like about my website www.pittsburghvibe.com

    -Font too small (on FF at least)
    -Made with some Office prudyct, yes? => lots of deprecated tags, like <font>
    -Lots of links, may need better organizing
    -Try validating, as Dorayme suggests.

    --
    Ari
    http://users.utu.fi/athein/

    Ari Heino, Sep 9, 2008
  5. On Sep 8, 11:14 pm, wrote:
    > Tell me what you like and don't like about my websitewww.pittsburghvibe.com

    <sigh...>
    --
    Travis
    Flash Crap: http://travisnewbury.blogspot.com

    Travis Newbury, Sep 9, 2008
  6. Travis Newbury wrote:
    > On Sep 8, 11:14 pm, wrote:
    >> Tell me what you like and don't like about my websitewww.pittsburghvibe.com

    > <sigh...>

    I match your <sigh...> and up the ante one <groan...>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 9, 2008
  7. John Hosking Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >> On Sep 8, 11:14 pm, wrote:
    >>> Tell me what you like and don't like about my
    >>> website http://www.pittsburghvibe.com/

    >> <sigh...>

    > I match your <sigh...> and up the ante one <groan...>

    Leading us to the perennial question: For what sighs is the OP's site
    designed?

    How does it display when the viewport has groan?

    --
    John
    I am so, so, *very* sorry.

    John Hosking, Sep 9, 2008
  8. Sherm Pendley, Sep 9, 2008
  9. On 2008-09-09, Bergamot wrote:

    > Sherm Pendley wrote:
    >> writes:
    >>
    >>> Tell me what you like and don't like about my website
    >>> www.pittsburghvibe.com

    >> Keep your designer - the layout and color schemes are nice.

    > Except they failed to set a page background color. Mine isn't white, and
    > it shows.

    That's why Sherm said, "Fire your developer"

    >> Fire your developer - he or she is using a WYSIWYG editor and writing
    >> code that's ten years out of date and riddled with errors.

    > Not to mention the layout doesn't adapt very well to larger text sizes.
    > Overlapping text tends to be unreadable.

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Sep 9, 2008
  10. Bergamot Guest

    Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > writes:
    >
    >> Tell me what you like and don't like about my website
    >> www.pittsburghvibe.com

    > Keep your designer - the layout and color schemes are nice.

    Except they failed to set a page background color. Mine isn't white, and
    it shows.

    > Fire your developer - he or she is using a WYSIWYG editor and writing
    > code that's ten years out of date and riddled with errors.

    Not to mention the layout doesn't adapt very well to larger text sizes.
    Overlapping text tends to be unreadable.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Sep 9, 2008
  11. Bergamot <> writes:

    > Sherm Pendley wrote:
    >> writes:
    >>
    >>> Tell me what you like and don't like about my website
    >>> www.pittsburghvibe.com

    >> Keep your designer - the layout and color schemes are nice.

    > Except they failed to set a page background color. Mine isn't white, and
    > it shows.

    Agreed, but I wouldn't blame the designer. In many shops, the designer
    just does a mockup of the site in Photoshop, and never touches HTML
    code.

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

    Sherm Pendley, Sep 9, 2008
  12. Bergamot Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Bergamot wrote:

    >> the layout doesn't adapt very well to larger text sizes.

    > Yep. I hit CTRL-+ twice to increase the text size so I could read it
    > without my eyeballs getting sucked out of my head and here's what it
    > looks like:
    >
    > http://edmullen.net/temp/cap0909-01.jpg

    Actually, I was looking at another page when I wrote that. The navbar
    disappearing isn't the only problem.
    http://www.pittsburghvibe.com/culture.htm

    Tis the evils of setting fixed px dimensions for text blocks - it's
    doomed to fail, and so unnecessary in the first place.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Sep 9, 2008
  13. Mark A. Boyd Guest

    John Hosking posted in alt.html:

    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> Travis Newbury wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <sigh...>

    >> I match your <sigh...> and up the ante one <groan...>

    > Leading us to the perennial question: For what sighs is the OP's
    > site designed?
    >
    > How does it display when the viewport has groan?

    This is lowbrow sir.

    --
    Mark A. Boyd
    Keep-On-Learnin' :)

    Mark A. Boyd, Sep 10, 2008
  14. Bergamot Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Bergamot wrote:
    >>
    >> Tis the evils of setting fixed px dimensions for text blocks - it's
    >> doomed to fail, and so unnecessary in the first place.

    > Another point of doom seems to be the total absence of the OP in the
    > thread it initiated. Hmm.

    Hmm indeed... perhaps he was just spamming Usenet to begin with, or
    perhaps he's now too embarrassed about the site and doesn't want to take
    any more criticism. ;)

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Sep 10, 2008
  15. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Bergamot wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> Yep. I hit CTRL-+ twice to increase the text size so I could read it
    >>> without my eyeballs getting sucked out of my head and here's what it
    >>> looks like:
    >>>
    >>> http://edmullen.net/temp/cap0909-01.jpg

    >> Actually, I was looking at another page when I wrote that. The navbar
    >> disappearing isn't the only problem.
    >> http://www.pittsburghvibe.com/culture.htm
    >>
    >> Tis the evils of setting fixed px dimensions for text blocks - it's
    >> doomed to fail, and so unnecessary in the first place.

    > Another point of doom seems to be the total absence of the OP in the
    > thread it initiated. Hmm.

    Google Groper. Probably couldn't find his way back unless he left a trail
    of cookie bits the first time. The spam aspect aside.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 10, 2008

    On Sep 9, 1:02 pm, Sherm Pendley <> wrote:
    > writes:
    > > Tell me what you like and don't like about my website
    > >www.pittsburghvibe.com

    > Keep your designer - the layout and color schemes are nice.
    >
    > Fire your developer - he or she is using a WYSIWYG editor and writing
    > code that's ten years out of date and riddled with errors.
    >
    > sherm--
    >
    > --
    > My blog:http://shermspace.blogspot.com
    > Cocoa programming in Perl:http://camelbones.sourceforge.net

    Thank you for your input! I appreciate it greatly!

    , Sep 22, 2008

    On Sep 8, 11:14 pm, wrote:
    > Tell me what you like and don't like about my websitewww.pittsburghvibe.com

    Hello everyone. I apprecaite everyones comments to my website. I
    created the layout after several iterations. I admit that I am
    completely outdated when it comes to Website development as I was
    using Microsoft Frontpage from like 10 years ago. Anyone have any
    suggestions about which software i should use now? I have to admit
    that I am intimidated when it comes to CSS & PHP.

    Thanks!

    , Sep 22, 2008
  18. Irina Rempt Guest

    wrote:

    > I admit that I am
    > completely outdated when it comes to Website development as I was
    > using Microsoft Frontpage from like 10 years ago. Anyone have any
    > suggestions about which software i should use now?

    er, a good text editor?

    Irina
    --
    "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
    should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore

    Irina Rempt, Sep 22, 2008
  19. writes:

    > created the layout after several iterations. I admit that I am
    > completely outdated when it comes to Website development as I was
    > using Microsoft Frontpage from like 10 years ago.

    You're not outdated - Frontpage is still one of the worst possible
    ways to create web pages. That hasn't changed in the past 10
    years. :)

    > Anyone have any
    > suggestions about which software i should use now? I have to admit
    > that I am intimidated when it comes to CSS & PHP.

    DreamWeaver's "code" view isn't too bad. It has all the stuff you'd
    expect from a code-oriented text editor - syntax highlighting,
    autocomplete, folding, etc. It also has built-in references from
    O'Reilly & Associates.

    You should avoid the WYSIWYG view like the plague though - at least
    until you know enough HTML & CSS to avoid its worst faults, and fix
    them if necessary.

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com