Help with PittsburghVibe.com

Ari Heino

(e-mail address removed) kirjoitti:
Tell me what you like and don't like about my website www.pittsburghvibe.com

-Font too small (on FF at least)
-Made with some Office prudyct, yes? => lots of deprecated tags, like <font>
-Lots of links, may need better organizing
-Try validating, as Dorayme suggests.

John Hosking

Jonathan said:
I match your <sigh...> and up the ante one <groan...>

Leading us to the perennial question: For what sighs is the OP's site
designed?

How does it display when the viewport has groan?

Sherm Pendley

Tell me what you like and don't like about my website
www.pittsburghvibe.com

Keep your designer - the layout and color schemes are nice.

Fire your developer - he or she is using a WYSIWYG editor and writing
code that's ten years out of date and riddled with errors.

sherm--

Bergamot

Sherm said:
Keep your designer - the layout and color schemes are nice.

Except they failed to set a page background color. Mine isn't white, and
it shows.
Fire your developer - he or she is using a WYSIWYG editor and writing
code that's ten years out of date and riddled with errors.

Not to mention the layout doesn't adapt very well to larger text sizes.
Overlapping text tends to be unreadable.

Sherm Pendley

Bergamot said:
Except they failed to set a page background color. Mine isn't white, and
it shows.

Agreed, but I wouldn't blame the designer. In many shops, the designer
just does a mockup of the site in Photoshop, and never touches HTML
code.

sherm--

Bergamot

Ed said:
Yep. I hit CTRL-+ twice to increase the text size so I could read it
without my eyeballs getting sucked out of my head and here's what it
looks like:

http://edmullen.net/temp/cap0909-01.jpg

Actually, I was looking at another page when I wrote that. The navbar
disappearing isn't the only problem.
http://www.pittsburghvibe.com/culture.htm

Tis the evils of setting fixed px dimensions for text blocks - it's
doomed to fail, and so unnecessary in the first place.

Mark A. Boyd

John Hosking posted in alt.html:
Leading us to the perennial question: For what sighs is the OP's
site designed?

How does it display when the viewport has groan?

This is lowbrow sir.

Bergamot

Ed said:
Another point of doom seems to be the total absence of the OP in the
thread it initiated. Hmm.

Hmm indeed... perhaps he was just spamming Usenet to begin with, or
perhaps he's now too embarrassed about the site and doesn't want to take
any more criticism. ;)

Blinky the Shark

Ed said:
Another point of doom seems to be the total absence of the OP in the
thread it initiated. Hmm.

Google Groper. Probably couldn't find his way back unless he left a trail
of cookie bits the first time. The spam aspect aside.

Andreas.W.Beck

Keep your designer - the layout and color schemes are nice.

Fire your developer - he or she is using a WYSIWYG editor and writing
code that's ten years out of date and riddled with errors.

sherm--

Thank you for your input! I appreciate it greatly!

Andreas.W.Beck

Tell me what you like and don't like about my websitewww.pittsburghvibe.com

Hello everyone. I apprecaite everyones comments to my website. I
created the layout after several iterations. I admit that I am
completely outdated when it comes to Website development as I was
using Microsoft Frontpage from like 10 years ago. Anyone have any
suggestions about which software i should use now? I have to admit
that I am intimidated when it comes to CSS & PHP.

Thanks!

Irina Rempt

I admit that I am
completely outdated when it comes to Website development as I was
using Microsoft Frontpage from like 10 years ago. Anyone have any
suggestions about which software i should use now?

er, a good text editor?

Irina

Sherm Pendley

created the layout after several iterations. I admit that I am
completely outdated when it comes to Website development as I was
using Microsoft Frontpage from like 10 years ago.

You're not outdated - Frontpage is still one of the worst possible
ways to create web pages. That hasn't changed in the past 10
years. :)
Anyone have any
suggestions about which software i should use now? I have to admit
that I am intimidated when it comes to CSS & PHP.

DreamWeaver's "code" view isn't too bad. It has all the stuff you'd
expect from a code-oriented text editor - syntax highlighting,
autocomplete, folding, etc. It also has built-in references from
O'Reilly & Associates.

You should avoid the WYSIWYG view like the plague though - at least
until you know enough HTML & CSS to avoid its worst faults, and fix
them if necessary.

sherm--