Help with research

Discussion in 'Java' started by elena, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. elena

    elena Guest

    I'm a Java/C++ developer who is also studying psychology.

    I would really appreciate it if you would complete a survey that I'm
    using for a research project on programmers.

    It's easy [Yes/No answers] and takes about 5 minutes.

    I will be presenting the results at the American Psychological
    Association convention in August.

    The study link is:

    http://www.elena.com

    The survey measures "cognitive style" (analytical/intuitive) which
    describes how you process information and learn. The people I've
    pre-tested it with found it to be pretty interesting.

    I can go to my friends, however it occurred to me that it might be
    better to post in a newsgroup and get a larger, more diverse, and
    random sample.

    Thanks again for your time,

    Elena
    elena, Feb 16, 2005

  2. elena wrote:

    > I'm a Java/C++ developer who is also studying psychology.
    >
    > I would really appreciate it if you would complete a survey that I'm
    > using for a research project on programmers.
    >
    > It's easy [Yes/No answers] and takes about 5 minutes.
    >
    > I will be presenting the results at the American Psychological
    > Association convention in August.
    >
    > The study link is:
    >
    > http://www.elena.com
    >
    > The survey measures "cognitive style" (analytical/intuitive) which
    > describes how you process information and learn. The people I've
    > pre-tested it with found it to be pretty interesting.
    >
    > I can go to my friends, however it occurred to me that it might be
    > better to post in a newsgroup and get a larger, more diverse, and
    > random sample.
    >
    > Thanks again for your time,
    >
    > Elena

    I went to take the survey, but my answers for several of the
    questions would be "Depends on the circumstances", which
    is not one of the permitted answers.

    For example, whether I scan a report or read it in detail
    depends on what the report is about, and why I'm reading it.
    If I just want a general impression of what it says, I scan
    it. If I need to fully understand all its nuances, I read it
    in detail.

    Sometimes a careful, analytical approach to making decisions
    takes too long. Other times, it is more important to make
    the right decision than to have an answer immediately.

    Being sure that something depends on the circumstances is
    very different from being uncertain whether it is true or
    false, the only meaning the instructions assign to "?".

    Patricia
    Patricia Shanahan, Feb 16, 2005

  3. elena

    elena Guest

    Patricia,

    I did not develop this instrument, but I have received similar comments
    from others who have used it. There are probably of myriad of factors
    that would affect your decision for each of the questions. I suspect
    that is why the instructions tell you to answer quickly and to avoid
    over-thinking your response. Psychological tests are studied
    extensively for reliability and validity, as this one was. However, my
    feeling is that none of these tests can capture the essence of a single
    human being's way of thinking correctly, without failure. But it can
    show a bias or tendency. And, showing that the test is valid and
    reliable, and then administering it to a proper sample, might give
    useful information about a population.

    Thanks for taking the time to look at the test in any case. At the very
    least, the experience seems to have helped you clarify that you are
    more than comfortable switching between learning styles as needed.

    Thanks again!

    Elena
    elena, Feb 16, 2005