Help with research

Discussion in 'C++' started by elena, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. elena

    elena Guest

    I'm a Java/C++ developer who is also studying psychology.

    I would really appreciate it if you would complete a survey that I'm
    using for a research project on programmers.

    It's easy [Yes/No answers] and takes about 5 minutes.

    I will be presenting the results at the American Psychological
    Association convention in August.

    The study link is:

    http://www.elena.com

    The survey measures "cognitive style" (analytical/intuitive) which
    describes how you process information and learn. The people I've
    pre-tested it with found it to be pretty interesting.

    I can go to my friends, however it occurred to me that it might be
    better to post in a newsgroup and get a larger, more diverse, and
    random sample.

    Thanks again for your time,

    Elena

    elena, Feb 16, 2005

  2. In message <>, elena
    <> writes
    >I'm a Java/C++ developer who is also studying psychology.
    >
    >I would really appreciate it if you would complete a survey that I'm
    >using for a research project on programmers.
    >
    >It's easy [Yes/No answers] and takes about 5 minutes.
    >
    >I will be presenting the results at the American Psychological
    >Association convention in August.
    >
    >The study link is:
    >
    > http://www.elena.com
    >
    >The survey measures "cognitive style" (analytical/intuitive) which
    >describes how you process information and learn. The people I've
    >pre-tested it with found it to be pretty interesting.
    >
    >I can go to my friends, however it occurred to me that it might be
    >better to post in a newsgroup and get a larger, more diverse, and

    self-selected, and therefore statistically worthless

    --
    Richard Herring

    Richard Herring, Feb 17, 2005

  3. elena

    elena Guest

    Not necessarily. Self-selection affect highly dependent on whether
    studing theory or behavior, cognitive or social dimensions.

    elena, Feb 17, 2005
  4. In message <>,
    elena <> writes
    >Not necessarily. Self-selection affect highly dependent on whether
    >studing theory or behavior, cognitive or social dimensions.

    Big deal. Still present. Still unquantifiable. Still off-topic.

    What's your question about C++?
    --
    Richard Herring

    Richard Herring, Feb 17, 2005
  5. Richard Herring wrote:
    > In message <>,
    > elena <> writes
    >> Not necessarily. Self-selection affect highly dependent on whether
    >> studing theory or behavior, cognitive or social dimensions.
    >>

    > Big deal. Still present. Still unquantifiable. Still off-topic.
    >
    > What's your question about C++?

    I see this as an announcement that might be interesting to C++ programmers in
    general. No more off-topic than the announcement for the Boost logo contest
    (which was approved by the moderators at c.l.c++.m)

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Turkanis, Feb 17, 2005
  6. In message <>, Jonathan Turkanis
    <> writes
    >Richard Herring wrote:
    >> In message <>,
    >> elena <> writes
    >>> Not necessarily. Self-selection affect highly dependent on whether
    >>> studing theory or behavior, cognitive or social dimensions.
    >>>

    >> Big deal. Still present. Still unquantifiable. Still off-topic.
    >>
    >> What's your question about C++?

    >I see this as an announcement that might be interesting to C++ programmers in
    >general.

    Why C++ programmers, rather than just programmers in general? There's
    nothing specific to C++ about it.

    >No more off-topic than the announcement for the Boost logo contest

    Except that Boost is a specifically C++ library.

    >(which was approved by the moderators at c.l.c++.m)

    That's their prerogative.

    --
    Richard Herring