Help with site navigation!

jkposey

I am developing a site using master pages for the first time. My
design has a header section, and a navigation menu on the left (the
standard look and feel for many sites).

Each link in the navigation menu represents a step in an application
process will be displayed in a vertical menu. I would like to
implement an image that represents the status of each step to the user
(these statuses are captured in the database as flags). Example:

Menu:
Step One
[img] Step Two
[img] Step Three

During the loading of the first page, I would like to be able to set
the status image of each step. When each page is saved, I would like
to be able to update the status image of that "step" in the code
behind. The only other feature I need is to be able to have the
current page highlighted.

I would like to be able to implement this with the navigation as part
of the master page so that I didn't have to have the menu coded on
each page. I have played around with the navigation/menu/sitemap
controls, but can not see how to do this type of "status image"
funcationality.

Is this possible? Can anyone offer any help to get me started down
the right path?

Thanks or any assistance!