Help with Socket install

Sean

I am working with an OLD copy of Perl 5.004_04 with a "buggy" Socket
module (version 1.6) and IO::Socket::Inet version 1.1603. The problem
I am having is with Socket timeout issues - they just don't work.
Looking into it I found that this version used signals to try to
timeout whereas Grahm's new version uses blocking and IO::Select
calls.

Anyways, the Sys Admins REFUSE to install the new Perl and/or new
Sockets *(don't ask - long story). I know a perl program can use its
own modules located in a specified directory referenced via the @INC
variable. For sockets, what "files" do I need? I know there will be
Socket.pm but looking into the TAR version of the CPAN Sockets, there
are files like: Socket.xs, socket.h, etc. What would I need to
"grab" to put into my own "modules" directory for the program to use
it versus the installed version in
/usr/share/lib/perl5/irix-32/5.00404 ? I don't have root access and
can not install into the default perl path and /usr/lib directory for
any compiled libraries.

Thanks all,
Sean