Help with Socket install

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Sean, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. Sean

    Sean Guest

    I am working with an OLD copy of Perl 5.004_04 with a "buggy" Socket
    module (version 1.6) and IO::Socket::Inet version 1.1603. The problem
    I am having is with Socket timeout issues - they just don't work.
    Looking into it I found that this version used signals to try to
    timeout whereas Grahm's new version uses blocking and IO::Select
    calls.

    Anyways, the Sys Admins REFUSE to install the new Perl and/or new
    Sockets *(don't ask - long story). I know a perl program can use its
    own modules located in a specified directory referenced via the @INC
    variable. For sockets, what "files" do I need? I know there will be
    Socket.pm but looking into the TAR version of the CPAN Sockets, there
    are files like: Socket.xs, socket.h, etc. What would I need to
    "grab" to put into my own "modules" directory for the program to use
    it versus the installed version in
    /usr/share/lib/perl5/irix-32/5.00404 ? I don't have root access and
    can not install into the default perl path and /usr/lib directory for
    any compiled libraries.

    Thanks all,
    Sean

    Sean, Jul 9, 2004