Help with some code

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Paul Martin, Mar 24, 2007.

  1. Paul Martin

    Paul Martin Guest

    I would be gratefull if someone could help me adjust some code as I don't
    know enough about HTML. I'll confess that I use FrontPage for my website, do
    most of it through the design view and only occasionally try stuff directly
    in HTML.

    My website has some shopping cart stuff in it and there is a button that it
    supplies which I paste in and edit as required. My editing only goes as far
    as changing the text and the money values. I would like to alter two things
    in the appearance but I dont know if it possible or how to do it.

    The two items i want to change are: -

    1. reduce the distant between the title line, 0N30 FLEXI TRACK, and the
    first line of stock in this case, "0n30 Code 100 Flex Track per yard
    <b>Price: £4.50</b>"
    2. reduce the size or the button that appears at the bottom with the text
    ORDER NOW in it.

    I dont understand what it controlling these aspects of the display so dont
    know what to try changing.

    Grateful for any help, but talk to me in simple terms

    Paul Martin

    <!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan --><html>
    <head>
    <title>Example 5</title>
    </head>

    <h3><b><font face="Arial,Helvetica,adobe-helvetica,Arial Narrow"
    color="#339900" size="3">0N30 FLEXI TRACK</b></font></h3>

    <form action="http://ww4.aitsafe.com/cf/addmulti.cfm" method="post">
    <input type="hidden" name="userid" value="6030586">
    <input type="hidden" name="return" value="www.ngtrains.com/track.htmm">

    0n30 Code 100 Flex Track per yard <b>Price: £4.50</b>
    <input type="text" name="qty1" size="2">
    <input type="hidden" name="product1" value="0n30 Code 100 Flex Track -
    1yd">
    <input type="hidden" name="price1" value="4.50">
    0n30 Code 83 Flex Track per yard <b>Price: £4.50</b>
    <input type="text" name="qty2" size="2">
    <input type="hidden" name="product2" value="0n30 Code 83 Flex Track -
    1yd">
    <input type="hidden" name="price2" value="4.50">
    0n30 Code 70 Flex Track per yard <b>Price: £4.50</b>
    <input type="text" name="qty3" size="2">
    <input type="hidden" name="product3" value="0n30 Code 70 Flex Track -
    1yd">
    <input type="hidden" name="price3" value="4.50">

    <input type="submit" value="Order Now!">

    </form>

    Paul Martin, Mar 24, 2007

  2. Paul Martin

    Val Guest

    On Mar 24, 9:24 pm, "Paul Martin" <> wrote:
    > I would be gratefull if someone could help me adjust some code as I don't
    > know enough about HTML. I'll confess that I use FrontPage for my website, do
    > most of it through the design view and only occasionally try stuff directly
    > in HTML.
    >
    > My website has some shopping cart stuff in it and there is a button that it
    > supplies which I paste in and edit as required. My editing only goes as far
    > as changing the text and the money values. I would like to alter two things
    > in the appearance but I dont know if it possible or how to do it.
    >
    > The two items i want to change are: -
    >
    > 1. reduce the distant between the title line, 0N30 FLEXI TRACK, and the
    > first line of stock in this case, "0n30 Code 100 Flex Track per yard
    > <b>Price: £4.50</b>"
    > 2. reduce the size or the button that appears at the bottom with the text
    > ORDER NOW in it.
    >
    > I dont understand what it controlling these aspects of the display so dont
    > know what to try changing.
    >
    > Grateful for any help, but talk to me in simple terms
    >
    > Paul Martin
    >
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------
    >
    > <!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan --><html>
    > <head>
    > <title>Example 5</title>
    > </head>

    > <h3><b><font face="Arial,Helvetica,adobe-helvetica,Arial Narrow"
    > color="#339900" size="3">0N30 FLEXI TRACK</b></font></h3>
    >
    > <form action="http://ww4.aitsafe.com/cf/addmulti.cfm" method="post">
    > <input type="hidden" name="userid" value="6030586">
    > <input type="hidden" name="return" value="www.ngtrains.com/track.htmm">

    > 0n30 Code 100 Flex Track per yard <b>Price: £4.50</b>
    > <input type="text" name="qty1" size="2">
    > <input type="hidden" name="product1" value="0n30 Code 100 Flex Track -
    > 1yd">
    > <input type="hidden" name="price1" value="4.50">
    > 0n30 Code 83 Flex Track per yard <b>Price: £4.50</b>
    > <input type="text" name="qty2" size="2">
    > <input type="hidden" name="product2" value="0n30 Code 83 Flex Track -
    > 1yd">
    > <input type="hidden" name="price2" value="4.50">
    > 0n30 Code 70 Flex Track per yard <b>Price: £4.50</b>
    > <input type="text" name="qty3" size="2">
    > <input type="hidden" name="product3" value="0n30 Code 70 Flex Track -
    > 1yd">
    > <input type="hidden" name="price3" value="4.50">

    > <input type="submit" value="Order Now!">
    >
    > </form>

    Can't help, still learning, but I thought that using 'Frontpage' was
    sort of a no-no amongst purists, which is why I'm doing my website
    totally in XHTML - and is why it's taking me so *@!*@$! long.

    I'll be interested in the repies though, I'm worrying about the
    shopping cart bit too, I was going to buy that in too.
    Val

    Val, Mar 25, 2007

  3. Paul Martin

    Paul Martin Guest

    Val
    It might be a no no but it works. I'm not a computer geek, I make and sell
    model railway stuff, so I use frontpage because its easy. Someone else does
    all the cart bit, these buttons as in my example, are supplied by the cart
    provider but when I asked them for help they said speak to someone who knows
    HTML. I thought this might be the place, now i'm not so sure.
    Paul

    Paul Martin, Mar 25, 2007
  4. Paul Martin

    Val Guest

    On Mar 25, 2:58 pm, "Paul Martin" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > <input type="text" name="qty2" size="2">
    > > <input type="hidden" name="product2" value="0n30 Code 83 Flex Track -
    > > 1yd">
    > > <input type="hidden" name="price2" value="4.50">
    > > 0n30 Code 70 Flex Track per yard <b>Price: £4.50</b>
    > > <input type="text" name="qty3" size="2">
    > > <input type="hidden" name="product3" value="0n30 Code 70 Flex Track -
    > > 1yd">
    > > <input type="hidden" name="price3" value="4.50">

    > > <input type="submit" value="Order Now!">

    > > </form>

    > Can't help, still learning, but I thought that using 'Frontpage' was
    > sort of a no-no amongst purists, which is why I'm doing my website
    > totally in XHTML - and is why it's taking me so *@!*@$! long.
    >
    > I'll be interested in the repies though, I'm worrying about the
    > shopping cart bit too, I was going to buy that in too.

    I am really so very sorry Paul, I'm not a contributer here, I just
    lurk & pick up tips; I don't know squat atm (probably never really
    will) I'm just generally flippant in any group I post to.
    I'm only learning XHTML because I want to set up my own small
    commercial site to sell stuff I've produced because when I originally
    checked out existing sites, to sell my stuff for me, I wasn't happy
    with what I was being offered for my 'creative work' & started
    thinking of other things I could gradually incorporate if I had my own
    site.
    I decided to build the website myself, for a lot of diverse reasons,
    rather than pay someone & although I've made a simple site in the
    past, I was advised the best way to go about it was to learn HTML (X
    as now) & CSS.
    I suppose I'm a geek because I really enjoy it, it could just be I'm a
    sad little old single lady & find it better than knitting now my
    sighht is failing :)
    Sorry again, I'll shut up now & lurk quietly.
    Val

    Val, Mar 25, 2007
  5. Paul Martin

    dorayme Guest

    In article <ONfNh.17183$>,
    "Paul Martin" <> wrote:

    > I would be gratefull if someone could help me adjust some code as I don't
    > know enough about HTML. I'll confess that I use FrontPage

    > The two items i want to change are: -
    >
    > 1. reduce the distant between the title line, 0N30 FLEXI TRACK, and the
    > first line of stock in this case, "0n30 Code 100 Flex Track per yard
    > <b>Price: £4.50</b>"
    > 2. reduce the size or the button that appears at the bottom with the text
    > ORDER NOW in it.
    >
    > I dont understand what it controlling these aspects of the display so dont
    > know what to try changing.

    > -----------
    >

    > <!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan --><html>
    > <head>
    > <title>Example 5</title>
    > </head>

    > <h3><b><font face="Arial,Helvetica,adobe-helvetica,Arial Narrow"

    You would increase your chances of getting help if you posted a
    url instead of so much code here. You should also test with free
    html and css validation services first. That way, you can see
    what to ask better and folk can see the page and maybe even help
    with more strategic things. The code you list is unsatisfactory
    in some fundamental ways, and even has specific mistakes.

    But re your actual questions, you can control the space above and
    below a heading by adjusting the default margin on it. If you
    must have inline styles, look at <h3 style="margin: 0" ...

    As for the smaller text question, the style there is eg. <input
    style="font-size: 10%;"...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 25, 2007
  6. Paul Martin

    Paul Martin Guest

    Val
    Don't take offence, none was intended.
    As someone who just needs to create a website Frontpage does it for me as
    you will be able to see if you look at www.ngtrains.com. It just makes me
    smile when people [code snobs?] rubbish a perfectly useable program. Sure it
    could do some things better and there are some features i wish it had or did
    differently.

    I wish I had time to learn HTML and other bits to make the site really
    whizzy and I occasionally head of down an avenue in that direction and find
    I am spending ages on it and am missing the point of doing the website and
    using time I should be spending on customers orders.

    The sort of thing that gets me going is the other reply received to my
    query. Yes it helps, but only after its delivered a high handed lecture on
    things I should have done but had never heard of prior to the lecture.

    >>I'm a sad little old single lady & find it better than knitting now my
    >>sighht is failing :)<<

    You paint an unflattering picture of yourself, I get a picture of a wizzened
    old grannie in her rocking chair by the fire!
    Thanks for at least answering my post
    Cheers
    Paul

    Paul Martin, Mar 26, 2007
  7. Paul Martin

    Bergamot Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > style="font-size: 10%;"

    You missed a zero in there. If 10% isn't a typo after all, then you are
    encouraging the use of type the size of fly specks. :(

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Mar 26, 2007
  8. Paul Martin

    John Hosking Guest

    Paul Martin wrote:
    > Val
    > Don't take offence, none was intended.

    What are you talking about? Please leave some context in your reply. The
    posts I've seen don't indicate any offence taken by Val, nor any any
    reason for her to from you.

    > As someone who just needs to create a website Frontpage does it for me
    > as you will be able to see if you look at www.ngtrains.com. It just
    > makes me smile when people [code snobs?] rubbish a perfectly useable
    > program.

    Well, it's not *that* perfect:
    "Monday, March 26, 107" ;-)

    > I wish I had time to learn HTML and other bits to make the site really
    > whizzy and I occasionally head of down an avenue in that direction and
    > find I am spending ages on it and am missing the point of doing the
    > website and using time I should be spending on customers orders.

    Well, you know, maybe if you understood HTML and CSS, you could simplify
    the code, and with simpler code it wouldn't take so much of your time to
    maintain.

    > The sort of thing that gets me going is the other reply received to my
    > query. Yes it helps, but only after its delivered a high handed lecture
    > on things I should have done but had never heard of prior to the lecture.

    Do you mean the response by dorayme? If so, then you need to realign
    your help perceptors. A URL is always preferred over large code
    snippets, and since you apparently have an actual site already, you
    could have provided the URL and let us examine it. The help would have
    been greater, as dorayme said, and for the reasons he mentioned. In no
    way do I see his reply as high-handed. That's not his way.

    You could indeed (similar to the hint from dorayme) add
    margin-bottom:.1em; (or some other preferred small value) to your h3
    rule. I have no idea what FrontPage will do to it then, however.

    --
    John

    John Hosking, Mar 26, 2007
  9. Paul Martin

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Bergamot <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > >
    > > style="font-size: 10%;"

    > You missed a zero in there. If 10% isn't a typo after all, then you are
    > encouraging the use of type the size of fly specks. :(

    You have not studied the context. If it was 100%, the typing
    would have been a mistyping or worse.

    The point was simply to show how it could be made smaller. The
    10% was a caricature. Sorry, I don't believe your underlying
    assumption, namely, that showing how to do things is encouraging
    them. In fact, I believe that in very many contexts, it does the
    very opposite. If you want the argument for this, am happy to
    supply.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 26, 2007