Help with some "special characters" & ABBR/ACRONYM

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Fred, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I've got two little problems....I hope you can help:

    (1) I'm getting a couple of items flagged as "invalid SGML" and I
    don't know what to do with them.

    .... trailing periods

    -- well, it doesn't quite look like that (but it wouldn't cut &
    paste properly); it looks like 2 or 3 hyphens butted up together
    (e.g., December 6--The Feast of St. Stephen)

    (2) I'm confused re whether I should be coding ABBR or ACRONYM for the
    following:

    DOT - Department of Transportation

    FLQ - Front de Liberation du Quebec

    a.s.a.p. - as soon as possible

    I don't know....I guess in conversation, I've been using abbreviation
    and acronym interchangeably. I suspect they are two distinct things
    in HTML/CSS ???

    Thanks for your help !

    Fred
    Fred, Jul 17, 2003

  2. Fred

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Fred <> wrote:

    >(1) I'm getting a couple of items flagged as "invalid SGML" and I
    >don't know what to do with them.

    URL?
    We need to see what's actually in the HTML code to see what the
    problem is.

    >... trailing periods

    An ellipsis.
    Easiest way is to cheat and just to use three full stop characters.
    &hellip; and … are both correct.

    >-- well, it doesn't quite look like that (but it wouldn't cut &
    >paste properly); it looks like 2 or 3 hyphens butted up together
    >(e.g., December 6--The Feast of St. Stephen)

    &mdash; or — might be what you mean.

    >(2) I'm confused re whether I should be coding ABBR or ACRONYM for the
    >following:
    >
    >I don't know....I guess in conversation, I've been using abbreviation
    >and acronym interchangeably. I suspect they are two distinct things
    >in HTML/CSS ???

    An abbreviation is an abbreviation. An acronym is a sub-set of
    abbreviation, one that is pronounced as a word. The HTML spec is
    confused because the authors couldn't agree on what an acronym
    actually is.

    >DOT - Department of Transportation

    Do you prounouce it 'dot' or 'dee oh tee'? If it's 'dot' then it's an
    acronym, otherwise it's an abbreviation.

    >FLQ - Front de Liberation du Quebec

    I'm guessing that this is spelt out letter by letter? So it's an
    abbreviation.

    >a.s.a.p. - as soon as possible

    This can be either. Some people say it as a word and some people spell
    it out. In this case the full stops between the letters imply that
    it's spelt out letter by letter and hence is an abbreviation.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Jul 17, 2003

  3. On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:54:32 +0100, Steve Pugh wrote:

    > An abbreviation is an abbreviation. An acronym is a sub-set of
    > abbreviation, one that is pronounced as a word. The HTML spec is
    > confused because the authors couldn't agree on what an acronym
    > actually is.

    And because of the confusion, <acronym/> is being removed from XHTML2, so
    best to alwasy use <abbr/> for forwards compatibility.

    playing://(nothing)
    Toby A Inkster, Jul 17, 2003