Help with Special Characters

Praveen

Hello,

I have java program which tries to insert special characters in
the oracle database (9i) using the JDBC connection. I can pass the
special characters , but it is not saved in the table.
Where as If i log in into the SQL Plus prompt, I can insert & as well as
retrieve the special characters.

Can anyone please shed some light on this. Will appreciate any pointers
on this.

Thanks.

Collin VanDyck

Praveen said:
Hello,
Hey!

I have java program which tries to insert special characters in
the oracle database (9i) using the JDBC connection. I can pass the
special characters , but it is not saved in the table.
Where as If i log in into the SQL Plus prompt, I can insert & as well as
retrieve the special characters.

Can anyone please shed some light on this. Will appreciate any pointers
on this.

I know that for MySQL, I got it to accept UNICODE characters by specifying
it in the connect string:

jdbc:mysql://server:3306/collin?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=UTF-8

Using MS SqlServer did not require any such customization.

I'm not totally sure about Oracle, but I'd imagine that you could alter your
connect string somehow. At least, that's the first place I'd look.

Cheers,
Collin