    Can anyone please shed some light on this. Will appreciate any pointers
    on this.

    Thanks.

    Praveen, Feb 17, 2004

  2. "Praveen" <> wrote in message
    news:c0tsqh$1v5$...
    > Hello,

    Hey!

    > I have java program which tries to insert special characters in
    > the oracle database (9i) using the JDBC connection. I can pass the
    > special characters , but it is not saved in the table.
    > Where as If i log in into the SQL Plus prompt, I can insert & as well as
    > retrieve the special characters.
    >
    > Can anyone please shed some light on this. Will appreciate any pointers
    > on this.

    I know that for MySQL, I got it to accept UNICODE characters by specifying
    it in the connect string:

    jdbc:mysql://server:3306/collin?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=UTF-8

    Using MS SqlServer did not require any such customization.

    I'm not totally sure about Oracle, but I'd imagine that you could alter your
    connect string somehow. At least, that's the first place I'd look.

    Cheers,
    Collin

    Collin VanDyck, Feb 17, 2004