Help with Starting New Web Application

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Stephen Barrett, Nov 8, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I have a friend that I am trying to help get started into asp.net
    development at my company. He was assigned a task to build a data entry /
    reporting web application and only has about 10 days to do it.

    The database will contain only 3 main tables to enter data and about 4 or 5
    reference tables.

    The web application has to support user security and basic role security.

    The manager that assigned him the task has heard of DotNetNuke and said he
    should look at that framework to build his application.

    After reading about DotNetNuke, I believe it is total overkill for what they
    have to do. It looks like it would take the full 10 days just to learn how
    to do things in DNN.

    What would be the best way to proceed with this assignment? The pages would
    be easy to throw together I think using just VS2005 and a web app project.
    However, he has concerns with the user authentication and authorization
    portion and doesn't want to have to build one from scratch.

    Are there any starter kits that have security already built in and that
    would speed up development of these data entry pages?

    Stephen Barrett, Nov 8, 2007

  2. ASP.NET comes with a bunch of controls to help you with membership, login,
    password changing etc.

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6e9y4s5t.aspx

    Some of this is included in the extended club starter kit to get an idea of
    how to use it.

    http://www.asp.net/downloads/starter-kits/extended-club/

    Dotnetnuke is way overkill for what your suggesting here.

    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)
    http://www.johntimney.com
    http://www.johntimney.com/blog