help with String manipulation

ambiguousprep

I need a method that replaces all of a given substring with another
given substring, but is NOT casesentive.

example: replace all "damn" with "****"

String.indexOf(str) is case sensitive, so im all out of ideas

any help will be appreciated

?

.

I need a method that replaces all of a given substring with another
given substring, but is NOT casesentive.

example: replace all "damn" with "****"

String.indexOf(str) is case sensitive, so im all out of ideas

any help will be appreciated

Make a copies of the strings but all uppercase. Use the all uppercase
versions to find the indexOf but draw the substrings out of the original
mixed case strings.

Oliver Wong

I need a method that replaces all of a given substring with another
given substring, but is NOT casesentive.

example: replace all "damn" with "****"

String.indexOf(str) is case sensitive, so im all out of ideas

any help will be appreciated

If you know how to use regular expressions (or don't mind learning how),
you can use the replaceAll(String regExp, String replacement) method.

- Oliver

mrandywarner

You should be able to do something like:

Pattern pattern = Pattern.compile("foo", Pattern.CASE_INSENSITIVE);
String result = pattern.matcher("a fOo named FoO").replaceAll("bar");

result should be "a bar named bar"