Help with System.NullReferenceException

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by msnews.microsoft.com, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. I'm trying to fill an array of objects but when I add the first object I get
    a NullReferenceException.
    Public Class TestClass

    Public NextSubIndex As Integer = 1

    Public arrTestSubClass() As TestSubClass

    Public tmpHold As TestSubClass

    Sub AddSub(ByVal Name As String)

    tmpHold = New TestSubClass(Name)

    Me.arrTestSubClass(NextSubIndex) = tmpHold <<<<Error Here>>>

    NextSubIndex = NextSubIndex + 1

    End Sub

    End Class

    Can someone tell me why I'm getting the NullReferenceException when this
    code executes? Stack Trace and more below.

    Thank You!

    Scott

    to an instance of an object.

    Source Error:

    Line 68:
    Line 69: Private Sub btnAddSub_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object,
    ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAddSub.Click
    Line 70: Session("MyTestClass").AddSub(TextBox2.Text)
    Line 71: End Sub
    Line 72:

    Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ASPTests\TestClassClient.aspx.vb Line: 70

    Stack Trace:

    object.]

    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.InternalLateCall(Object
    o, Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[]
    CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.LateCall(Object o,
    Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[]
    CopyBack)
    ASPTests.TestClassClient.btnAddSub_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ASPTests\TestClassClient.aspx.vb:70
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePo
    stBackEvent(String eventArgument)
    sourceControl, String eventArgument)
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()
    msnews.microsoft.com, Jul 16, 2003