Help with table

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John, Feb 15, 2009.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I have this code for a newletter and once I insert it into my HTML
    code it looks all messed up with Firefox.

    Any help would be appreciated.


    <table width="160" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"
    align="center">
    <tr>
    <td valign="bottom"><img src="images/160NewsOrange_01.jpg"
    width="160" height="218"></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td background="images/160NewsOrange_02.jpg" valign="top">
    <table width="147" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"
    align="center">
    </td>
    <tr>
    <td>
    <div align="center">
    <form name="contact_form" method="post"
    action="contact.php">
    <div align="center"><br />
    </div>
    <div align="center">
    <table width="86%" border="0" cellspacing="7"
    cellpadding="0" height="62">

    <td height="2" width="29%">
    <div align="right"><font face="Tahoma"
    size="2"><b>Name:</b></font></div>
    </td>
    <td height="2" width="71%"><font face="Tahoma"
    size="2"><b>
    <input type="text" name="your_name" size="10">
    </b></font></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td height="29" width="29%">
    <div align="right"><font face="Tahoma"
    size="2"><b>Email:</b></font></div>
    </td></td>
    <td height="29" width="71%"><font face="Tahoma"
    size="2"><b>
    <input type="text" name="your_email"
    size="10">
    </b></font></td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    <br />
    <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit">
    </div>
    </form>
    </div>
    <div align="center"><font size="5" face="Tahoma"><b><font
    size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">SECURE
    &amp; CONFIDENTIAL</font></b><font face="Verdana, Arial,
    Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1"><br />
    </font></font><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial,
    Helvetica, sans-serif">Your
    email address will NEVER be rented, traded or sold. <br
    />
    WE GUARANTEE YOUR CONFIDENTIALITY. <br>
    We hate spam just as much as you do.</font> </div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td valign="top"><img src="images/160NewsOrange_04.jpg"
    width="160" height="21"></td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    John, Feb 15, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. John

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 08:24:40 -0800, John <>
    wrote:

    >I have this code for a newletter and once I insert it into my HTML
    >code it looks all messed up with Firefox.
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >
    ><table width="160" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"
    >align="center">
    > <tr>
    > <td valign="bottom"><img src="images/160NewsOrange_01.jpg"
    >width="160" height="218"></td>
    > </tr>
    > <tr>
    > <td background="images/160NewsOrange_02.jpg" valign="top">
    > <table width="147" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"
    >align="center">
    > </td>
    > <tr>
    > <td>
    > <div align="center">
    > <form name="contact_form" method="post"
    >action="contact.php">
    > <div align="center"><br />


    attribute not allowed in divisions use css.
    <div style="align:center;">
    Not that it will work this way as it is.



    > </div>
    > <div align="center">


    not allowed

    > <table width="86%" border="0" cellspacing="7"
    >cellpadding="0" height="62">
    >
    > <td height="2" width="29%">
    > <div align="right"><font face="Tahoma"
    >size="2"><b>Name:</b></font></div>


    Where the sam hell are you coming up with these things?
    Have you ever considered how to code properly?
    Divisions and table attributes are not the same and are not applied
    the same.
    There is no tag <font face>.


    > </td>
    > <td height="2" width="71%"><font face="Tahoma"
    >size="2"><b>


    No such tag.


    <div class=sample id=test>data</div>

    in the "head":
    <style type="text/css">

    ..sample{ font-family:Tahoma; font-size:10pt; ........... }

    #test {align:center; valign:top; ...................... }


    </style>
    richard, Feb 15, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. John

    John Guest


    >Your HTML is all messed up. Check it at http://validator.w3.org/ and fix
    >the errors. In particular you've got botched forms and tables which
    >really causes problems.



    Hello,

    It's not my code it was given to me.

    I'm just looking for an easy fix.
    John, Feb 15, 2009
    #3
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed John <>
    writing in news::

    > I have this code for a newletter and once I insert it into my HTML
    > code it looks all messed up with Firefox.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >


    <snip bloated markup>

    1. Bloated markup
    2. Nested tables
    3. Deprecated elements
    4. Start over

    Have a look at
    [http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/helptable.html]. Note that
    since you did not provide us with a URL, I do not have your image, so
    you will want to play around with the CSS a bit.


    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Please respond to the group so others can share
    Adrienne Boswell, Feb 15, 2009
    #4
  5. John

    richard Guest

    The main part of my post was to point out that his style of coding
    just sucked. That he should at least try investigating various online
    resources and seeing what actually does work rather than just applying
    the rule, "well it works here, so it'll work there too".

    The validator pointed out end tags that were not open which shows he
    just slopped it together without any thought or game plan.

    As I do in BASIC programming, when I open something, I immediately
    close it. Then go back in and add what needs to be in between.
    That way I know I won't have a hole to worry about.

    I was also showing him the better way of coding. Not that it was
    totally 100% correct. Just an example of how it's done properly.
    richard, Feb 15, 2009
    #5
  6. John

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 09:54:42 -0800, John <>
    wrote:

    >
    >>Your HTML is all messed up. Check it at http://validator.w3.org/ and fix
    >>the errors. In particular you've got botched forms and tables which
    >>really causes problems.

    >
    >
    >Hello,
    >
    >It's not my code it was given to me.
    >
    >I'm just looking for an easy fix.


    First, run the page through the validator.

    http://validator.w3.org

    Fix the errors first.
    Or better yet, recode the whole damn thing and get rid of the frickin
    tables. Not needed.

    You could do the same thing with 3 or 4 simple divisions.
    richard, Feb 15, 2009
    #6
  7. richard wrote:

    > You could do the same thing with 3 or 4 simple divisions.


    You always spell out the word "division". That's fine if you are
    describing what one actually is. However, it would be better, especially
    for newbies reading, if you used "div", "divs", or even "<div>
    elements." [Ok, for the newbs to catch on, "<div> tags"]

    Else some the newbies will be looking for, or writing:

    <division class="foo">Place stuff here.</division>

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Windows
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 15, 2009
    #7
  8. John

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 14:15:00 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >
    >> You could do the same thing with 3 or 4 simple divisions.

    >
    >You always spell out the word "division". That's fine if you are
    >describing what one actually is. However, it would be better, especially
    >for newbies reading, if you used "div", "divs", or even "<div>
    >elements." [Ok, for the newbs to catch on, "<div> tags"]
    >
    >Else some the newbies will be looking for, or writing:
    >
    > <division class="foo">Place stuff here.</division>



    Many noobees might not understand that "div" is short for divsion.
    But we learn that some things are abbreviated purely for simplicity.
    Like what would "B" or "I" mean to a noobee?
    That is one reason why I spell it out completely so there is no
    confusion.

    If wanted to tell someone that "bold" is simply shortened to <b> then
    I would use <b>=bold.
    Why is it <table> and not <t>?
    Why is it <tr> and not <tablerow">
    Why is a cell or column represented as <td>?

    So how did you get beyond the noobee stage?
    richard, Feb 15, 2009
    #8
  9. richard wrote:

    > So how did you get beyond the noobee stage?


    By reading advice from competent advisors.

    One day, your time will come. <cnr>

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Windows
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 15, 2009
    #9
  10. John

    Ari Heino Guest

    richard kirjoitti seuraavasti:
    > I was also showing him the better way of coding. Not that it was
    > totally 100% correct. Just an example of how it's done properly.


    Your way was hardly better, correct or proper. If you try to instruct
    newbies, it _is_ best to do 100% correct and properly.

    --
    Ari
    http://users.utu.fi/athein/
    Ari Heino, Feb 15, 2009
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. David Williams
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,113
    Jacob Yang [MSFT]
    Aug 12, 2003
  2. Rio
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,182
  3. Farraige
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    283
    Farraige
    Nov 8, 2006
  4. PT
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    391
    Ken Schaefer
    Oct 7, 2004
  5. Replies:
    6
    Views:
    216
Loading...

Share This Page