Help with tkHTML (specifically, require 'tkextlib/tkHTML' fails to find package)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Randy Kramer, Mar 25, 2006.

  1. Randy Kramer

    Randy Kramer Guest

    (Ruby 1.8.4 on Mandriva2006)

    I need some help with tkHTML. The current problem is that, if I try to follow
    this example (from
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/667a7e153dabd20f ):

    require 'tk'
    require 'tkextlib/tkHTML'

    .. read a HTML-doc, and set it to the variable 'doc' ...

    hv = Tk::HTML_Widget.new.pack
    hv.parse(doc)

    It fails at the step =require 'tkextlib/tkHTML'= with a message:

    RuntimeError: TkPackage can't find package Tkhtml
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tk/package.rb:86:in `require'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML/htmlwidget.rb:15
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML.rb:13
    from (irb):2

    What I've done (generally):

    I may have confused the issue, because I've downloaded and installed both
    ActiveTCL and the standalone ktHTML packages. I installed the ktHTML package
    first, and tried the example before installing ActiveTCL, but got the same
    result.

    At one point, from somewhere I got the hint that I should run the setup.rb
    files, so I found one in /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib and another
    in /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML. They are not executable, so I
    ran them as ruby scripts, i.e. =ruby setup.rb= from the directory containing
    the files. No improvement.

    Some observations:

    Directory /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib contains, among other things:

    tkHTML/ tkHTML.rb

    Directory /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML contains:

    htmlwidget.rb setup.rb

    Line 13 in /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML.rb is:

    require 'tkextlib/tkHTML/htmlwidget'

    Any hints?

    Randy Kramer

    Randy Kramer, Mar 25, 2006

  2. --Apple-Mail-2--342170666
    delsp=yes;
    format=flowed

    On Mar 25, 2006, at 4:01 PM, Randy Kramer wrote:

    > At one point, from somewhere I got the hint that I should run the
    > setup.rb
    > files, so I found one in /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib and another
    > in /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML. They are not
    > executable, so I
    > ran them as ruby scripts, i.e. =ruby setup.rb= from the directory
    > containing
    > the files. No improvement.

    Did you try:

    sudo ruby setup.rb install

    ?

    --Apple-Mail-2--342170666--

    Logan Capaldo, Mar 25, 2006

  3. Randy Kramer

    Randy Kramer Guest

    On Saturday 25 March 2006 04:14 pm, Logan Capaldo wrote:
    > Did you try:
    >
    > sudo ruby setup.rb install

    Thanks for the response!

    No, at least I hadn't. I've now tried it, didn't solve the problem. (I ran
    the setup in both tkextlib and tkHTML, and it now seems that the require 'tk'
    statement returns true much sooner, but still the same problem with the
    require 'tkextlib/tkHTML':

    RuntimeError: TkPackage can't find package Tkhtml
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tk/package.rb:86:in `require'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML/htmlwidget.rb:15
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML.rb:13
    from (irb):2

    Do you have tkHTML setup? Do you recall how you did it?

    Randy Kramer

    Randy Kramer, Mar 25, 2006
  4. On Mar 25, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Randy Kramer wrote:

    > On Saturday 25 March 2006 04:14 pm, Logan Capaldo wrote:
    >> Did you try:
    >>
    >> sudo ruby setup.rb install

    > Thanks for the response!
    >
    > No, at least I hadn't. I've now tried it, didn't solve the
    > problem. (I ran
    > the setup in both tkextlib and tkHTML, and it now seems that the
    > require 'tk'
    > statement returns true much sooner, but still the same problem with
    > the
    > require 'tkextlib/tkHTML':
    >
    > RuntimeError: TkPackage can't find package Tkhtml
    > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tk/package.rb:86:in `require'
    > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML/htmlwidget.rb:15
    > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML.rb:13
    > from (irb):2
    >
    > Do you have tkHTML setup? Do you recall how you did it?
    >
    > Randy Kramer

    Can't say that I do, I just have slightly more experience with
    setting things up with setup.rb apparently ;)

    It looks like the ruby files are there, but the Tcl/Tk files are
    missing (or unable to be found).

    Logan Capaldo, Mar 26, 2006
  5. Randy Kramer

    Randy Kramer Guest

    Do I need tkhtml.so? (was Re: Help with tkHTML (specifically, require 'tkextlib/tkHTML' fails to find package))

    On Saturday 25 March 2006 09:50 pm, Logan Capaldo wrote:
    > On Mar 25, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Randy Kramer wrote:
    > > still the same problem with the require 'tkextlib/tkHTML':
    > >
    > > RuntimeError: TkPackage can't find package Tkhtml
    > > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tk/package.rb:86:in `require'
    > > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML/htmlwidget.rb:15
    > > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML.rb:13
    > > from (irb):2
    > >
    > > Do you have tkHTML setup? Do you recall how you did it?

    > Can't say that I do, I just have slightly more experience with
    > setting things up with setup.rb apparently ;)
    >
    > It looks like the ruby files are there, but the Tcl/Tk files are
    > missing (or unable to be found).

    Thanks! I'll have to think about the idea/possibility that the Tcl/Tk files
    are missing--I'm pretty sure tcl is installed:

    [root@s14 python]# rpm -q tcl
    tcl-8.4.11-1mdk
    [root@s14 doc]# rpm -V tcl-8.4.11-1mdk
    [root@s14 doc]#

    One reason for writing at the moment is that I noticed that a tkhtml.so file
    comes with (or can come with) the tkhtml package(s), and I haven't installed
    that anywhere. Should I? Where? (Maybe those are the Tcl/Tk files that are
    missing??)

    Randy Kramer

    Randy Kramer, Mar 26, 2006
  6. Randy Kramer

    Randy Kramer Guest

    Re: Do I need tkhtml.so? (was Re: Help with tkHTML (specifically, require 'tkextlib/tkHTML' fails to find package))

    On Sunday 26 March 2006 02:35 pm, Randy Kramer wrote:
    > On Saturday 25 March 2006 09:50 pm, Logan Capaldo wrote:
    > > On Mar 25, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Randy Kramer wrote:
    > > > still the same problem with the require 'tkextlib/tkHTML':
    > > >
    > > > RuntimeError: TkPackage can't find package Tkhtml
    > > > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tk/package.rb:86:in `require'
    > > > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML/htmlwidget.rb:15
    > > > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML.rb:13
    > > > from (irb):2
    > > >
    > > > Do you have tkHTML setup? Do you recall how you did it?

    > > Can't say that I do, I just have slightly more experience with
    > > setting things up with setup.rb apparently ;)
    > >
    > > It looks like the ruby files are there, but the Tcl/Tk files are
    > > missing (or unable to be found).

    > Thanks! I'll have to think about the idea/possibility that the Tcl/Tk
    > files are missing--I'm pretty sure tcl is installed:
    >
    > [root@s14 python]# rpm -q tcl
    > tcl-8.4.11-1mdk
    > [root@s14 doc]# rpm -V tcl-8.4.11-1mdk
    > [root@s14 doc]#

    PS: Another thing reinforcing my belief that the tk files are there is that a
    few days ago I ran a sample program that used tk--the program created a
    stopwatch with a display in a tk "window".

    Randy Kramer, Mar 26, 2006
  7. Re: Do I need tkhtml.so? (was Re: Help with tkHTML (specifically, require 'tkextlib/tkHTML' fails to find package))

    On Mar 26, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Randy Kramer wrote:

    > On Sunday 26 March 2006 02:35 pm, Randy Kramer wrote:

    >>> Can't say that I do, I just have slightly more experience with
    >>> setting things up with setup.rb apparently ;)
    >>>
    >>> It looks like the ruby files are there, but the Tcl/Tk files are
    >>> missing (or unable to be found).

    >> Thanks! I'll have to think about the idea/possibility that the
    >> Tcl/Tk
    >> files are missing--I'm pretty sure tcl is installed:
    >>
    >> [root@s14 python]# rpm -q tcl
    >> tcl-8.4.11-1mdk
    >> [root@s14 doc]# rpm -V tcl-8.4.11-1mdk
    >> [root@s14 doc]#

    > PS: Another thing reinforcing my belief that the tk files are there
    > is that a
    > few days ago I ran a sample program that used tk--the program
    > created a
    > stopwatch with a display in a tk "window".
    >
    >> One reason for writing at the moment is that I noticed that a
    >> tkhtml.so
    >> file comes with (or can come with) the tkhtml package(s), and I
    >> haven't
    >> installed that anywhere. Should I? Where? (Maybe those are the
    >> Tcl/Tk
    >> files that are missing??)
    >>
    >> Randy Kramer

    I was thinking more along the lines of TkHTML specifically, not any
    and all Tcl/Tk files. I would suggest that installing the tkhtml.so
    file in its proper place should do the trick. Try and find a README
    or INSTALL file in the source distribution.

    Logan Capaldo, Mar 26, 2006
  8. Re: Help with tkHTML (specifically, require 'tkextlib/tkHTML'fails to find package)

    From: Randy Kramer <>
    Subject: Help with tkHTML (specifically, require 'tkextlib/tkHTML' fails to find package)
    Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 06:01:44 +0900
    > It fails at the step =require 'tkextlib/tkHTML'= with a message:
    >
    > RuntimeError: TkPackage can't find package Tkhtml
    > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tk/package.rb:86:in `require'
    > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML/htmlwidget.rb:15
    > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML.rb:13
    > from (irb):2
    >
    > What I've done (generally):
    >
    > I may have confused the issue, because I've downloaded and installed both
    > ActiveTCL and the standalone ktHTML packages. I installed the ktHTML package
    > first, and tried the example before installing ActiveTCL, but got the same
    > result.

    I think that your tcltklib.so doesn't load ActiveTcl library.
    Please run "/usr/local/bin/ruby -r tk -e 'p Tk::TCL_LIBRARY'".
    Probably, it shows the path your original (not ActiveTcl) Tcl/Tk directory.

    You may control the path with LD_LIBRARY_PATH or TCL_LIBRARY environment
    variable. For example, "TCL_LIBRARY=/usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib/tcl8.4 /usr/local/bin/ruby -r tk -e 'p Tk::TCL_LIBRARY'".

    You can get the support status of Tk extensions on your environment
    by "/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/pkg_checker.rb".
    Possibly, you get different result between
    "/usr/local/bin/ruby /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/pkg_checker.rb"
    and
    "TCL_LIBRARY=/usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib/tcl8.4 /usr/local/bin/ruby /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/pkg_checker.rb".
    --
    Hidetoshi NAGAI ()

    Hidetoshi NAGAI, Mar 27, 2006
  9. Randy Kramer

    Randy Kramer Guest

    Everyone: I'm still not there, any suggestions appreciated.

    Hidetoshi NAGAI,

    Thanks very much for your help so far! As you can see (from the comments
    interspersed with yours, below) I'm probably out of my depth here, and I
    don't want to waste a lot of your time. Maybe I should delete (uninstall)
    Ruby, ActiveTCL, and the ktHTML packages and reinstall?

    If I do that, I'd prefer not to reinstall ActiveTCL (just because of the size
    of it) and install only Ruby and the ktHTML package. I can't immediately
    recall/find from where I downloaded the ktHTML package, there is no version
    number on the package, and the dates on the files are now (of course) the
    dates I downloaded the files, not the original dates.

    The size of the tkhtml.tar.gz is 387987 bytes, and the first lines of the
    spec.html file are:

    "This is a draft interface specification for the Tk HTML widget currently
    under development. Since it is still a draft, it is subject to change.
    Eventually, the interface will stabilize and this interface specification
    will morph into a manual page."

    My question is, is that the latest version, or is the version in ActiveTCL
    more up-to-date?

    Below (interspersed with your suggestions) are the things I've tried and the
    results--perhaps you or somebody else can see what I've done wrong. (Or, at
    some time in the fairly near future, I'll uninstall Ruby, etc., and start
    again--it may be a week or two as I have some other things to deal with in
    the next week or so.)

    On Sunday 26 March 2006 09:58 pm, Hidetoshi NAGAI wrote:
    > I think that your tcltklib.so doesn't load ActiveTcl library.
    > Please run "/usr/local/bin/ruby -r tk -e 'p Tk::TCL_LIBRARY'".
    > Probably, it shows the path your original (not ActiveTcl) Tcl/Tk directory.

    Yes, it shows "/usr/lib/tcl8.4"

    > You may control the path with LD_LIBRARY_PATH or TCL_LIBRARY environment
    > variable. For example, "TCL_LIBRARY=/usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib/tcl8.4
    > /usr/local/bin/ruby -r tk -e 'p Tk::TCL_LIBRARY'".

    That didn't seem to do anything the first time I tried it, now going back to
    try again and check various things:

    * I now see the following in my environment--is that what I should see?

    [rhk@s14 tkHTML]$ set | grep LIBRARY
    _='p Tk::TCL_LIBRARY'

    * I installed ActiveTcl 8.5, so I believe the path I should use
    is /usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib/tcl8.5. It exists, and contains some .tcl files
    (e.g., auto.tcl) and subdirectories (e.g., opt0.4).

    * Now I run
    [rhk@s14 tkHTML]$
    TCL_LIBRARY=/usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/local/bin/ruby -r tk -e 'p
    Tk::TCL_LIBRARY'

    and get: "/usr/lib/tcl8.4" which looks the same as before. Is that what I
    should get?

    Earlier (on the first try) I tried running irb and got no better results for
    the require 'tclextlib/tkHTML' statement, but I now realize I should run irb
    something like this:

    TCL_LIBRARY=/usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/local/bin/irb

    Let's see how that works--nope, still the same problem:

    [rhk@s14 rhk]$ TCL_LIBRARY=/usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/local/bin/irb
    irb(main):001:0> require 'tk'
    => true
    irb(main):002:0> require 'tkextlib/tkHTML'
    RuntimeError: TkPackage can't find package Tkhtml
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tk/package.rb:86:in `require'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML/htmlwidget.rb:15
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML.rb:13
    from (irb):2

    > You can get the support status of Tk extensions on your environment
    > by "/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/pkg_checker.rb".

    That seems useful (now and in the future). Among other things, I see:

    *LACK : tkHTML.rb : require->{}
    FAIL->[["tkextlib/tkHTML/htmlwidget", :require_ruby_lib]]
    *LACK : tkHTML/htmlwidget.rb : require->{} FAIL->[["Tkhtml", :package]]
    Ready : tkHTML/setup.rb : require->{}

    (And maybe half of the packages that scroll by are marked Ready and the other
    half marked LACK (just a guess). I'm guessing that Ready means I'm good to
    go, and LACK means there is a problem.)

    > Possibly, you get different result between
    > "/usr/local/bin/ruby /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/pkg_checker.rb"
    > and
    > "TCL_LIBRARY=/usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib/tcl8.4 /usr/local/bin/ruby
    > /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/pkg_checker.rb". --

    Nope, they seem the same.

    <My "notes", showing more detail--I think you can ignore these>
    The results for tkHTML seem the same:

    [rhk@s14 tkHTML]$
    TCL_LIBRARY=/usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/local/bin/ruby /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/pkg_checker.rb
    | grep tkHTML
    *LACK : tkHTML.rb : require->{}
    FAIL->[["tkextlib/tkHTML/htmlwidget", :require_ruby_lib]]
    *LACK : tkHTML/htmlwidget.rb : require->{} FAIL->[["Tkhtml", :package]]
    Ready : tkHTML/setup.rb : require->{}

    [rhk@s14 tkHTML]$
    TCL_LIBRARY=/usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/local/bin/ruby /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/pkg_checker.rb
    | wc
    253 1313 12046

    [rhk@s14 tkHTML]$ /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/pkg_checker.rb | wc
    253 1313 12046
    </My "notes", showing more detail--I think you can ignore these>

    Ok, maybe because tkHTML/setup.rb is ready, I should try running that, with
    the TCL_LIBRARY path prefix:

    [rhk@s14 tkHTML]$
    TCL_LIBRARY=/usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/local/bin/ruby /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/tkHTML/setup.rb

    And then retry pkg_checker--no, no change in the output listed previously
    (with or without the TCL_LIBRARY prefix):

    Randy Kramer, Mar 27, 2006
  10. Randy Kramer

    Randy Kramer Guest

    On Monday 27 March 2006 10:37 am, Randy Kramer wrote:
    > If I do that, I'd prefer not to reinstall ActiveTCL (just because of the
    > size of it) and install only Ruby and the ktHTML package. I can't
    > immediately recall/find from where I downloaded the ktHTML package, there
    > is no version number on the package, and the dates on the files are now (of
    > course) the dates I downloaded the files, not the original dates.

    Ok, I just found the page where I downloaded the ktHTML packages from:

    http://www.hwaci.com/sw/tkhtml/download.html:

    "TkHtml Download Page
    Last update: Mon Jul 31 06:34:47 EDT 2000"

    "tkhtml.tar.gz
    Size: 387987 bytes
    Last modified: Tue Jun 20 20:47:11 EDT 2000"

    It looks rather old--I should probably look for something more up-to-date--are
    the only options the ActiveTCL package or CVS?

    Randy Kramer

    Randy Kramer, Mar 27, 2006
  11. Re: Help with tkHTML (specifically, require 'tkextlib/tkHTML'fails to find package)

    From: Randy Kramer <>
    Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:38:39 +0900
    > Thanks very much for your help so far! As you can see (from the comments
    > interspersed with yours, below) I'm probably out of my depth here, and I
    > don't want to waste a lot of your time. Maybe I should delete (uninstall)
    > Ruby, ActiveTCL, and the ktHTML packages and reinstall?

    Maybe you need recompile and install tcltklib.so to use ActiveTcl
    libraries by default.
    If you want to recompile it, prease read README.* files in
    "<ruby source>/ext/tk" directory.

    Or, compile and install Tkhtml extension for your starndard
    (not ActiveTcl) Tcl/Tk.

    > My question is, is that the latest version, or is the version in ActiveTCL
    > more up-to-date?

    I think the latest version of Tkhtml is 2.0.

    > * I installed ActiveTcl 8.5, so I believe the path I should use
    > is /usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib/tcl8.5. It exists, and contains some .tcl files
    > (e.g., auto.tcl) and subdirectories (e.g., opt0.4).
    >
    > * Now I run
    > [rhk@s14 tkHTML]$
    > TCL_LIBRARY=/usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/local/bin/ruby -r tk -e 'p
    > Tk::TCL_LIBRARY'
    >
    > and get: "/usr/lib/tcl8.4" which looks the same as before. Is that what I
    > should get?

    You may need to give the library path. For example,
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH TCL_LIBRARY=/usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/local/bin/ruby -r tk -e 'p Tk::TCL_LIBRARY'

    Or, your tcltklib.so may be disabled stubs and be compiled for Tcl/Tk8.4.
    Then, tcltklib.so cannot link the libraries of Tcl/Tk8.5.
    --
    Hidetoshi NAGAI ()

    Hidetoshi NAGAI, Mar 27, 2006
  12. Randy Kramer

    Randy Kramer Guest

    On Monday 27 March 2006 11:45 am, Hidetoshi NAGAI wrote:

    ---<good stuff, to look at again later, snipped>---

    > You may need to give the library path. For example,
    > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    > TCL_LIBRARY=/usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/local/bin/ruby -r tk -e 'p
    > Tk::TCL_LIBRARY'
    >
    > Or, your tcltklib.so may be disabled stubs and be compiled for Tcl/Tk8.4.
    > Then, tcltklib.so cannot link the libraries of Tcl/Tk8.5.

    Ok, thanks! I think I'll download and install ActiveTcl 8.4(.12) and see what
    that does for me.

    Randy Kramer

    Randy Kramer, Mar 27, 2006