    for this project, because every avenue i try gets overcomplex really
    quickly, or becomes un expandable.

    Mark

    mark | r, Jun 20, 2005

  2. mark | r

    Evertjan. Guest

    mark | r wrote on 20 jun 2005 in

    > Im creating a food site where registered users can set a long list of
    > 'dislikes' from a menu that can be added to, with the aim of the site
    > being searchable for things that DONT MATCH the 'dislikes' of a user -
    > dislikes would be in categories i.e. Fruit / Tomatos / Diced (because
    > i like tomato sauce, but not tomatos so id be able to select
    > everything but sauce and puree)
    >
    > BTW im doing it this way because fussy eaters like me can list loads
    > of what they dont like but not much of what we do - the idea is id be
    > able to be shown recipes for meals that i will like.
    >
    > anyone suggest the best format for structuring the tables in the
    > database for this project, because every avenue i try gets overcomplex
    > really quickly, or becomes un expandable.

    There is no "best" way, Mark.

    It depends on the way of programming you are familiar or happy with.

    ============================

    I would:

    Make a new 2 column DislikeTbl table of all dislikes, be it group or
    individual dislikes.
    dislikeID*, dislikeName

    All products are coded in the productTbl table with say a maximum of 3
    productDislikes.
    [3 fields additional]

    Make a new 3 column UserDislikeTbl table with
    UserDislikeID*, userID, dislikeID, weight
    [eight: 2 heavy, 1 slight, -1 like, -2 love, 0 off]

    So any user can have a unlimited number of dislikes, each with it's
    weight. [I suppose most will have no dislikes at all, but others have, so
    the last table won't grow too large]

    No dislikes are stored in the userTbl itself.

    Tomato sauce will have 3 productDislikes:
    Tomatos general & Tomato sauce specific, vegetable conserve.
    Fresh tomato's 3:
    Tomatos general & fresh Tomato specific, fresh vegetables.

    You could have:

    +1 Tomatos general
    -2 Tomato sauce specific
    -1 Tomato Ketchup specific

    the SQL string will test for entries in UserDislikeTbl and you compute
    the resultingDislikeValue being positive or not.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Jun 20, 2005

  3. mark | r

    mark | r Guest

    "Evertjan." <> wrote in message

    > mark | r wrote on 20 jun 2005 in
    >

    > > Im creating a food site where registered users can set a long list of
    > > 'dislikes' from a menu that can be added to, with the aim of the site
    > > being searchable for things that DONT MATCH the 'dislikes' of a user -
    > > dislikes would be in categories i.e. Fruit / Tomatos / Diced (because
    > > i like tomato sauce, but not tomatos so id be able to select
    > > everything but sauce and puree)
    > >
    > > BTW im doing it this way because fussy eaters like me can list loads
    > > of what they dont like but not much of what we do - the idea is id be
    > > able to be shown recipes for meals that i will like.
    > >
    > > anyone suggest the best format for structuring the tables in the
    > > database for this project, because every avenue i try gets overcomplex
    > > really quickly, or becomes un expandable.

    > There is no "best" way, Mark.
    >
    > It depends on the way of programming you are familiar or happy with.
    >
    > ============================
    >
    > I would:
    >
    > Make a new 2 column DislikeTbl table of all dislikes, be it group or
    > individual dislikes.
    > dislikeID*, dislikeName
    >
    > All products are coded in the productTbl table with say a maximum of 3
    > productDislikes.
    > [3 fields additional]
    >
    > Make a new 3 column UserDislikeTbl table with
    > UserDislikeID*, userID, dislikeID, weight
    > [eight: 2 heavy, 1 slight, -1 like, -2 love, 0 off]
    >

    > So any user can have a unlimited number of dislikes, each with it's
    > weight. [I suppose most will have no dislikes at all, but others have, so
    > the last table won't grow too large]
    >
    > No dislikes are stored in the userTbl itself.
    >
    > Tomato sauce will have 3 productDislikes:
    > Tomatos general & Tomato sauce specific, vegetable conserve.
    > Fresh tomato's 3:
    > Tomatos general & fresh Tomato specific, fresh vegetables.
    >

    > You could have:
    >
    > +1 Tomatos general
    > -2 Tomato sauce specific
    > -1 Tomato Ketchup specific
    >
    > the SQL string will test for entries in UserDislikeTbl and you compute
    > the resultingDislikeValue being positive or not.
    >
    > --
    > Evertjan.
    > The Netherlands.

    thanks, ill wrap my head around this one and let you know if i cant figure
    somethign out - thanks
    mark

    mark | r, Jun 20, 2005