Help with validating xhtml

Discussion in 'XML' started by mike, Dec 19, 2004.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    Hello,
    I need a little help trying to validate a friends xhtml site. My friend
    does not have a url yet so I will post a few snippets of where the problem
    is.
    He is getting the following error when validate it at
    http://validate.w3.org.
    The HTTP Content-Type header sent by your web browser (unknown) did not
    contain a "charset" parameter, but the Content-Type was one of the XML
    text/* sub-types (text/xml). The relevant specification (RFC 3023) specifies
    a strong default of "us-ascii" for such documents so we will use this value
    regardless of any encoding you may have indicated elsewhere. If you would
    like to use a different encoding, you should arrange to have your browser
    send this new encoding information.
    Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 397 it
    contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as us-ascii (in other
    words, the bytes found are not valid values in the specified Character
    Encoding). Please check both the content of the file and the character
    encoding indication.

    left:30px; top:330px; width:150px; visibility: visible; z-index:111">
    Here is where the problem starts
    test test test. test<br>

    Any help would be appreciated

    mike, Dec 19, 2004

  2. "mike" <nogood@.invalid> wrote:

    > I need a little help trying to validate a friends xhtml site.

    The odds are that you would get better help in a group devoted to
    (X)HTML than in this general XML group. Moreover, the _fastest_ way
    would probably be to read some relevant FAQs and tutorials. Did you
    check the validator's FAQ? If you did, then actually the mailing list
    advertized there is probably the best place for getting help.

    > My friend
    > does not have a url yet so I will post a few snippets of where the
    > problem is.

    Then the page should be uploaded. When asking for free help from a
    worldwide community, that's part of the minimum you're expected to do.

    > The HTTP Content-Type header sent by your web browser (unknown)
    > did not contain a "charset" parameter,

    A known issue, see e.g.
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2004Jun/0130.html

    You are using validation via file submission (using a form), and file
    submission is poorly implemented in browsers, especially IE.

    The problem vanishes if you upload the document and specify the URL to
    the validator. Alternatively, use a better browser, like Firefox.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 20, 2004