Help with XHTML and CSS Book

sorry.no.email

Hi,

Can anybody give me a steer on a comprehensive book (or books) that
deal with building sites with XHTML and CSS? There a lot on the market
and I am not sure which one.

Books aimed at a beginner would be best and a bonus would be the W3C
guidelines as an appendix. Is there such a book?

Thanks to anybody who can help,

Andrew.

Andy Dingley

Books aimed at a beginner would be best

Don't use XHTML then (seriously, read the group archives)

I don't know a good HTML book. Castro is the best I've seen, but that's
years old. One of Raggett's ? Suggestions anyone ?

Lie & Bos for the CSS book, because it's the most readable. W3C web site
for the standards themselves.

sorry.no.email

Don't use XHTML then (seriously, read the group archives)

I don't know a good HTML book. Castro is the best I've seen, but that's
years old. One of Raggett's ? Suggestions anyone ?

Lie & Bos for the CSS book, because it's the most readable. W3C web site
for the standards themselves.

Hi Andy,

I am actually quite keen on XHTML and have made a flying start at it:

http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/

but I am keen on a book that starts at the very beginning and moves
onward to deeper waters.

Andrew.

Michael Emery

It was once written:

Can anybody give me a steer on a comprehensive book (or
books) that deal with building sites with XHTML and CSS?
There a lot on the market and I am not sure which one.

Out of lurking now, I'm old HTML but new to this world of XHTML/CSS.
One book that caught my attention is _HTML for the World Wide Web (with
XHTML and CSS)_ by Elizabeth Castro [2003: Peachpit Press].

Some of the online tutorials that are periodically recommended by this
newsgroup can also serve one well. I particularly enjoyed the comic
book style of "Why tables for layout is stupid"
<http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/>.

I look forward to being able to make some contribution to this
newsgroup by the by, as soon as I get out of this woodshed!

Andy Dingley

I am actually quite keen on XHTML and have made a flying start at it:
http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/

Oh, it's you! Sorry - I didn't recognise the email.

That's a good site. It's not a complex site, but you've already shown a
good grasp of the XHTML issues. You're beyond the beginners' HTML books
and probably beyond most of the "advanced" ones. All you really need
now is the W3C specs and c.i.w.a.h

Fos CSS, then I like the Lie and Bos book for its easy readable style.
Meyer's books can be good too on some "cookbook" aspects.