help with xml and css - sorting

jearnshaw

Newbie Moment!!

I hope you guys can help. I admit it I know NOTHING about xml and css.
But I need to get a large amount of data out of xml and onto an
intranet site which uses restricted html.I may be able to use css (if
our new outsourced IT dept lets me) but I am having difficulty
figuring out how to get the style sheets to do what i need.

My page is as follows:

<HTML>
<head>
<TITLE> Information</TITLE>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="excel.css">

</head>
<BODY>
<BusinessUnitNR name="Nomination business unit">blah blah blah</
BusinessUnitNR>
<NominationType name="Nomination type">Service</NominationType>
<TeamName name="Team name">John's team</TeamName>
<Description name="Reason">Athe reasonp</Description>
<FullName name="Nominee name">john doe smith</FullName>
<Department name="Nominee department">where i work</Department>
<TeamMembers name="Team members">not required</TeamMembers>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P class="small"> Last Modified: 20th February 2007<BR>
</P>
<script src="/footer.js"></script>
</BODY>
</HTML>

I need to change the order of the xml so we get <NominationType
name="Nomination type"> first followed by <FullName name="Nominee
name"> and then everything else.

I also have a <Link> tag which displays and I want it to be invisible.
I have Go-live and Dreamweaver but I am finding it a little hard to
understand what I need to do. I guess I will be spending the Easter
break figuring out how to write xml, css and use go-live or perhaps
get the xml feature of Indesign up and running.

Thanks

JM

p.lepin

I admit it I know NOTHING about xml and css.

Generally, you don't do XML+CSS unless you understand the
limitations and are bloody damned sure you're not shooting
yourself in the foot--which you normally are.
But I need to get a large amount of data out of xml and
onto an intranet site which uses restricted html.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'restricted
HTML'. Generally, if you need to publish your XML data on
the web, you do one of the following things:

- use XSLT to transform XML to HTML server-side on the
fly;
- use XSLT to transform XML to HTML server-side ahead of
time;
- use XSLT to transform XML to HTML client-side.

Naturally, there are other options (such as using a SAX/DOM
parser in your language of choice, or, indeed, styling XML
with CSS), but those are better left to experts who
understand the implications.
I may be able to use css but I am having difficulty
[...]

Uh... first things first. This is not HTML, and I've no
idea what you're trying to do.
I need to change the order of the xml so we get
<NominationType name="Nomination type"> first followed
by <FullName name="Nominee name"> and then everything
else.

Ok. Here's the probable source of confusion--someone
mentioned stylesheets in XML context to you and you thought
of CSS. If that is the case, you've probably been mistaken.
The word 'stylesheets' used in XML context usually--but not
always--refers to either XSLT, XSL-FO or the combination of
those two.

As a rule of the thumb, CSS doesn't do content tweaking.
That's what XSLT is for.
I also have a <Link> tag which displays and I want it to
be invisible. I have Go-live and Dreamweaver but I am
finding it a little hard to understand what I need to do.
I guess I will be spending the Easter break figuring out
how to write xml, css and use go-live or perhaps get the
xml feature of Indesign up and running.

Here's another possible explanation of the confusion--you
might be using some CMS which handles the transformations
transparently for you, or perhaps some sort of proprietary
editor/browser plug-in capable of displaying that
not-quite-HTML you've posted. In that case, a couple bits
of advice:

1. Post the detailed description of the software
environment you're using.

2. Consider posting your question to mailing-list/support
forum of the software suite you're working with. You
might find someone familiar with your software here, but
comp.text.xml mostly deals with more general questions
about XML and related technologies.