help withj css and div's

Neal

IE just expands anyway. You can set a div to 1px height, and IE will
just expand to hold the text.

As it also behaves when preformatted text lines are longer than the set
width. Opera, however, allows the line to go on and on beyond the border
of the parent. I suppose a similar thing might happen with heights.

Paul Furman

Neal said:
As a "reformed" old-school coder myself, I found http://www.htmldog.com
to be very good at getting me up to speed on current web authoring
techniques.

Thanks, that's helpful. Good discussion of the relevance of techniques.
I was able to search a topic I was struggling with and find great
analysis and related alternative techniques.

Richard

Neil Monk wrote:

I don't really understand that, but I'm basically wanting to put the
stuff into an external style sheet, and reference it in, to each page.
Can you please be as simple as possible, and maybe given an example of
where my code is wrong, and what it maybe ought too look like. I'm not
asking you to do my site for me, but I'm "OLD SCHOOL" HTML author, before
CSS and DIV's were this popular, so I'm only really familiar with pure
HTML (prob verion three-ish)!!!
Thanks for all your help so far, but its gone way above my head :-(

What's so hard to understand?
Think of a division as a table cell.
Instead of defining everything within each table element tag, you define
your structures with a "class" or "ID".
Which allows you to reuse those same definitions as many times as you want.
A few tricks to master to get the division to behave the way you want, but a
division is much more flexible than a table.

I'm no expert with CSS but I find it an asset to learn and only compliments
html.
You learn by doing.

Els

Neal said:
As it also behaves when preformatted text lines are longer than the set
width. Opera, however, allows the line to go on and on beyond the border
of the parent. I suppose a similar thing might happen with heights.

Oops, sorry, Neal, I accused you of setting px heights in my
I'm more awake than yesterday night) that Neal and Neil are
not the same person :S :)

Nik Coughin

Richard said:
Neil Monk wrote:

float:left; } >> .mylogo { height:150px; background:#FFFFA8;
float:none;} >> .main { background:gold; }
[...]

Best not to think of a division as a table cell. I had been doing that up
until recently. I'm finding it much easier to get the results I want now
that I've made that paradigm shift in thinking. Refer to the replies to the
post I made with the subject line "CSS Problems".