    Q2) Is there a good perl suite for a hobbyist?
    --
    WW
    Wade Ward, Apr 28, 2007

  2. Wade Ward

    Joe Smith Guest

    Wade Ward wrote:

    > Q1) How does one go about herding messages from a server to a directory.

    The word "server" is way too vague. There are many different types of server,
    requiring very different solutions.

    > These messages would be of the variety that appear in usenet, with the same
    > subject heading, except the first, which lacks 'Re: ' Ultimately, they
    > would be in a directory where they would exists as filenames with some
    > ordering.

    A very useful Perl program is AUB. It
    a) pulls messages from a USENET news server (via NNTP),
    b) associates several messages together based on the subject line.

    http://yukidoke.org/~mako/projects/aub/

    > Q2) Is there a good perl suite for a hobbyist?

    It's already included if you're running Linux, Solaris and many other Unix-like OS.
    For Windows, both ActiveState.com and Cygwin.com flavors of Perl are free for download.

    -Joe
    Joe Smith, Apr 28, 2007

  3. Wade Ward

    Wade Ward Guest

    "Joe Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Wade Ward wrote:
    >
    >> Q1) How does one go about herding messages from a server to a directory.

    > The word "server" is way too vague. There are many different types of
    > server,
    > requiring very different solutions.
    >
    >> These messages would be of the variety that appear in usenet, with the
    >> same subject heading, except the first, which lacks 'Re: ' Ultimately,
    >> they would be in a directory where they would exists as filenames with
    >> some ordering.

    > A very useful Perl program is AUB. It
    > a) pulls messages from a USENET news server (via NNTP),
    > b) associates several messages together based on the subject line.
    >
    > http://yukidoke.org/~mako/projects/aub/
    >
    >> Q2) Is there a good perl suite for a hobbyist?

    > It's already included if you're running Linux, Solaris and many other
    > Unix-like OS.
    > For Windows, both ActiveState.com and Cygwin.com flavors of Perl are free
    > for download.

    Thanks Joe. I'll see what I can hunt down at that link tomorrow. I've
    failed with cygwin twice: I can't unlearn dos. I'll give ActiveState a
    peek.
    --
    WW
    Wade Ward, Apr 28, 2007