Hi help me in installing pcapy extension module

Discussion in 'Python' started by pranesh, Nov 2, 2009.

  1. pranesh

    pranesh Guest

    dear friends,

    I have python 2.6.4 i my Windows XP machine.
    I am trying to install pcapy - python extension module
    ( I am using http://oss.coresecurity.com/projects/pcapy.html for
    reference )

    I decided to implement the libpcap library...
    Since I have only windows xp machine......
    I installed WinPcap - this is a port of libpcap - windows uses this
    WinPcap

    As the pcapy extension is written in C++ it needs to be compiled for
    the host system before it can be accessed from Python.
    In order to compile and install the source, I executed
    python setup.py install
    from the directory where Pcapy's distribution has been unpacked.

    Now, I am getting the following error,

    C:\pcapy-0.10.4>python setup.py install
    running install
    running build
    running build_ext
    building 'pcapy' extension
    error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat

    I request you to help me in solving this problem.

    regards
    Prashanth

    pranesh, Nov 2, 2009

  2. pranesh schrieb:
    > dear friends,
    >
    > I have python 2.6.4 i my Windows XP machine.
    > I am trying to install pcapy - python extension module
    > ( I am using http://oss.coresecurity.com/projects/pcapy.html for
    > reference )
    >
    > I decided to implement the libpcap library...
    > Since I have only windows xp machine......
    > I installed WinPcap - this is a port of libpcap - windows uses this
    > WinPcap
    >
    > As the pcapy extension is written in C++ it needs to be compiled for
    > the host system before it can be accessed from Python.
    > In order to compile and install the source, I executed
    > python setup.py install
    > from the directory where Pcapy's distribution has been unpacked.
    >
    > Now, I am getting the following error,
    >
    > C:\pcapy-0.10.4>python setup.py install
    > running install
    > running build
    > running build_ext
    > building 'pcapy' extension
    > error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat

    This looks to my as if you are missing Visual C++, or at least it's not
    properly set up.

    > I request you to help me in solving this problem.

    I'm not a native-speaker - and I guess you aren't either. But "I request
    you to help me" is rather rude, as well as your subject. "I kindly ask
    you to help me" would be better I'd say.

    Diez

    Diez B. Roggisch, Nov 2, 2009