Hibernate v.s. EJB 3.0

Discussion in 'Java' started by gaijinco, Jun 17, 2008.

  1. gaijinco

    gaijinco Guest

    I'm using Tomcat as a Servlet Server. Now I'm considering moving to
    j2ee so I am evaluating Hibernate or using EJB 3.0

    As far as I know Hibernate can work with Tomcat as a standalone
    application, but EJB 3.0 requieres to drop Tomcat and add a EJB Server
    ( which will also be a Servlet Server )

    Am I right? Is no other way?

    Thanks.
     
    gaijinco, Jun 17, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. gaijinco

    ttrifonov Guest

    Hi,

    You can check OpenEJB from Apache. I think it can be installed in
    Tomcat 6 (but I'm not sure).

    Regards,
    Tanyu
     
    ttrifonov, Jun 17, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. gaijinco

    gaijinco Guest

    But theoritically I could use JBoss along with Tomcat? Is it
    practically good?

    On 17 jun, 08:24, ttrifonov <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > You can check OpenEJB from Apache. I think it can be installed in
    > Tomcat 6 (but I'm not sure).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Tanyu
     
    gaijinco, Jun 17, 2008
    #3
  4. gaijinco

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, gaijinco wrote:

    > I'm using Tomcat as a Servlet Server. Now I'm considering moving to
    > j2ee so I am evaluating Hibernate or using EJB 3.0
    >
    > As far as I know Hibernate can work with Tomcat as a standalone
    > application, but EJB 3.0 requieres to drop Tomcat and add a EJB Server
    > ( which will also be a Servlet Server )


    JBoss uses Tomcat as its webserver, and Catalina as its servlet container.
    JBoss is basically just a federation of other components - webserver,
    servlet container, EJB container, persistence manager, transaction
    manager, etc.

    But Tomcat/Catalina runs inside JBoss, so in a way, you are indeed
    dropping Tomcat-the-application.

    tom

    --
    Miscellaneous Terrorists: Ducks | Bird Flu | Avian flu | Jimbo Wales |
    Backstreet Boys | The Al Queda Network | Tesco -- Uncyclopedia
     
    Tom Anderson, Jun 17, 2008
    #4
  5. gaijinco

    EricF Guest

    In article <>, Lew <> wrote:
    >gaijinco wrote:
    >> As far as I know Hibernate can work with Tomcat as a standalone
    >> application, but EJB 3.0 requieres to drop Tomcat and add a EJB Server
    >> ( which will also be a Servlet Server )
    >>
    >> Am I right?

    >
    >No. You don't have to drop Tomcat, and you don't exactly need an EJB
    > container.
    >
    >> Is no other way?

    >
    >Hibernate and Apache OpenJPA do not require an EJB container. Spring provides
    >dependency injection in lieu of an EJB container. Apache OpenEJB was
    >mentioned upthread.
    >


    There are a few options here. Hibernate works just fine with Tomcat. Spring is
    a viable alternative to EJB. If you want to use EJB, JBoss has an embedded
    version of Tomcat, and then there is OpenEJB which was mentioned. I'm not
    familiar with Glassfish but it's an open source implementation of EJB from Sun
    (I think) - it should provide similar functionality as JBoss.

    Eric
     
    EricF, Jun 18, 2008
    #5
  6. gaijinco

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Tom Anderson wrote:
    > JBoss uses Tomcat as its webserver, and Catalina as its servlet
    > container.


    I am not sure that I would call Tomcat a webserver and Catalina
    is part of Tomcat.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 19, 2008
    #6
  7. gaijinco

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    gaijinco wrote:
    > But theoritically I could use JBoss along with Tomcat? Is it
    > practically good?


    JBoss comes with Tomcat embedded.

    If you for some reason would prefer that then you can use
    a standalone Tomcat in from of JBoss as well.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 19, 2008
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Ilias Lazaridis
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,727
    Ilias Lazaridis
    Dec 27, 2004
  2. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    3,727
  3. jstorta
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    11,774
  4. Eleanna Skouta
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    8,442
    Arne Vajhøj
    Dec 9, 2008
  5. Raymond Schanks
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    663
    Raymond Schanks
    Aug 3, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page