Hibernate v.s. EJB 3.0

gaijinco

I'm using Tomcat as a Servlet Server. Now I'm considering moving to
j2ee so I am evaluating Hibernate or using EJB 3.0

As far as I know Hibernate can work with Tomcat as a standalone
application, but EJB 3.0 requieres to drop Tomcat and add a EJB Server
( which will also be a Servlet Server )

Am I right? Is no other way?

Thanks.

ttrifonov

Hi,

You can check OpenEJB from Apache. I think it can be installed in
Tomcat 6 (but I'm not sure).

Regards,
Tanyu

Tom Anderson

I'm using Tomcat as a Servlet Server. Now I'm considering moving to
j2ee so I am evaluating Hibernate or using EJB 3.0

As far as I know Hibernate can work with Tomcat as a standalone
application, but EJB 3.0 requieres to drop Tomcat and add a EJB Server
( which will also be a Servlet Server )

JBoss uses Tomcat as its webserver, and Catalina as its servlet container.
JBoss is basically just a federation of other components - webserver,
servlet container, EJB container, persistence manager, transaction
manager, etc.

But Tomcat/Catalina runs inside JBoss, so in a way, you are indeed
dropping Tomcat-the-application.

tom

EricF

No. You don't have to drop Tomcat, and you don't exactly need an EJB
container.

Hibernate and Apache OpenJPA do not require an EJB container. Spring provides
dependency injection in lieu of an EJB container. Apache OpenEJB was
mentioned upthread.

There are a few options here. Hibernate works just fine with Tomcat. Spring is
a viable alternative to EJB. If you want to use EJB, JBoss has an embedded
version of Tomcat, and then there is OpenEJB which was mentioned. I'm not
familiar with Glassfish but it's an open source implementation of EJB from Sun
(I think) - it should provide similar functionality as JBoss.

Eric

Arne Vajhøj

Tom said:
JBoss uses Tomcat as its webserver, and Catalina as its servlet
container.

I am not sure that I would call Tomcat a webserver and Catalina
is part of Tomcat.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

gaijinco said:
But theoritically I could use JBoss along with Tomcat? Is it
practically good?

JBoss comes with Tomcat embedded.

If you for some reason would prefer that then you can use
a standalone Tomcat in from of JBoss as well.

Arne