    Are there any limits to what one can put in a hidden field? Are
    certain characters restricted, or does any special encoding need to be
    used for certain situations?
    Plinkerton, Feb 5, 2008

  2. Scripsit Plinkerton:

    > Are there any limits to what one can put in a hidden field?

    By the specifications, no. Browsers may impose limits. The smallest
    limit I ever heard of is 32 kilobytes, except for method="get", where
    the entire form data might need to fit into about 1 kilobyte, since it's
    passed in a URL and programs have odd limitations.

    > Are certain characters restricted, or does any special encoding need
    > to be
    > used for certain situations?

    No, but usual HTML rules apply when writing the data. Moreover, when the
    default enctype is used, the form data is in principle limited to
    US-ASCII.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/