    "Airport Clintonville"
    Thank you, mar

    http://www.waupacaareachamber.com/community-map-2/

    mar, Dec 31, 2011

  2. mar

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    mar <> wrote:

    > How can I keep the br (line break) tag from appearing in the web
    > browser's mouseOver tooltip?
    >
    > I am using phpMyAdmin with MySQL for the database.
    > The sidebar for my Google mashup has a menu that pulls from the database
    > and I need to have line breaks for some of the menu items.
    > To see an example go to this address and mouse over the marker for
    > "Airport Clintonville"
    > Thank you, mar
    >
    > http://www.waupacaareachamber.com/community-map-2/

    Your page seems never to fully load into any of my browsers,
    spinning thing in tab, but when *looking* loaded in the viewport
    itself, when I mouse over the microscopic text you mention (it's
    ok, I used an electron microscope I keep handy), there is no
    tooltip.

    Anyway, there are various ways to simulate tooltips. I think the
    way at

    <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/hovering_footnotes_dropdownWay.ht
    ml>

    might be positioned in a way you might want?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 31, 2011

  3. On 01/01/2012 06:16 AM, Ben C wrote:
    > On 2011-12-31, mar<> wrote:
    >> How can I keep the br (line break) tag from appearing in the web
    >> browser's mouseOver tooltip?
    >>
    >> I am using phpMyAdmin with MySQL for the database.
    >> The sidebar for my Google mashup has a menu that pulls from the database
    >> and I need to have line breaks for some of the menu items.
    >> To see an example go to this address and mouse over the marker for
    >> "Airport Clintonville"
    >> Thank you, mar
    >>
    >> http://www.waupacaareachamber.com/community-map-2/

    > I'm not getting a popup at all. Perhaps you've created something that
    > only works in IE?
    >
    > Anyway, your original problem is most likely something you need to read
    > the phpMyAdmin docs for. I've never used that package, but it probably
    > automatically escapes anything that comes out of the database-- i.e.
    > turns< into&lt; etc-- as this is generally much safer. It may have a
    > way of turning that behaviour off temporarily.

    I get it, you have to click the 'Airport Clintonville' hyperlink,
    which will then load the map for that link. You will see a large balloon
    popup pointing to a marker on the map. Hover over the marker and a
    tooltip will popup with the <br> tags in it.

    Since the markers are a part of the map you must be sending this info
    as part of the marker creation, you probably need to 'clean it up'
    there. Probably something to do with the 'createMarker' function and the
    title:name, name variables... I can't seem to wrangle firebug into
    editing it though so just try to replace <br> in name with " " and see
    if that does it.

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062

    Norman Peelman, Jan 1, 2012
  4. mar

    Peter Guest

    In article <jdpkvl$jg7$>, says...
    > On 01/01/2012 06:16 AM, Ben C wrote:
    > > On 2011-12-31, mar<> wrote:
    > >> How can I keep the br (line break) tag from appearing in the web
    > >> browser's mouseOver tooltip?
    > >>
    > >> I am using phpMyAdmin with MySQL for the database.
    > >> The sidebar for my Google mashup has a menu that pulls from the database
    > >> and I need to have line breaks for some of the menu items.
    > >> To see an example go to this address and mouse over the marker for
    > >> "Airport Clintonville"
    > >> Thank you, mar
    > >>
    > >> http://www.waupacaareachamber.com/community-map-2/

    > > I'm not getting a popup at all. Perhaps you've created something that
    > > only works in IE?
    > >
    > > Anyway, your original problem is most likely something you need to read
    > > the phpMyAdmin docs for. I've never used that package, but it probably
    > > automatically escapes anything that comes out of the database-- i.e.
    > > turns< into&lt; etc-- as this is generally much safer. It may have a
    > > way of turning that behaviour off temporarily.

    > I get it, you have to click the 'Airport Clintonville' hyperlink,
    > which will then load the map for that link. You will see a large balloon
    > popup pointing to a marker on the map. Hover over the marker and a
    > tooltip will popup with the <br> tags in it.
    >
    > Since the markers are a part of the map you must be sending this info
    > as part of the marker creation, you probably need to 'clean it up'
    > there. Probably something to do with the 'createMarker' function and the
    > title:name, name variables... I can't seem to wrangle firebug into
    > editing it though so just try to replace <br> in name with " " and see
    > if that does it.

    If you're using php server side to create this page then take a look at
    the php function str_replace to remove that <br>:

    str_replace("<br>"," ",$yourstring);

    This should leave a space where the <br> tag used to be.

    Obviously this all depends upon what this Google mashup is and whether
    you can control how it receives that data. If it just pulls it directly
    from the database then perhaps you're going to have to create 2 separate
    fields. One for the left menu and one for the popup.

    --
    Pete Ives

    Peter, Jan 1, 2012