Hide DataList Item

STech

How can I hide a DataListItem from a datalist. I have tried the PreRender,
ItemCreated, ItemDatabound to hide the item but it does not work.

I have tried both:
e.Item.Visible = false;
and
DataList1.Items[0].Vislble = false;

Thanks.
stech

Phillip Williams

Try any of the following 3 options:
if (e.Item.ItemIndex ==1) e.Item.CssClass ="Hidden";
if (e.Item.ItemIndex ==2) e.Item.Controls[1].Visible =false;
if (e.Item.ItemIndex ==3) e.Item.Controls.Clear();

In the Style section of your page add:
.Hidden {display:none;}

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Philip's informative inputs,

Hi Stech,

I think Philip's suggestion on using CSS style "display" to hide the
DataList item is a good idea. You can apply the code in either ItemCreated
or ItemDatabound....

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbGxpcCBXaWxsaWFtcw==?="
<[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Hide DataList Item
| Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:39:03 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Try any of the following 3 options:
| if (e.Item.ItemIndex ==1) e.Item.CssClass ="Hidden";
| if (e.Item.ItemIndex ==2) e.Item.Controls[1].Visible =false;
| if (e.Item.ItemIndex ==3) e.Item.Controls.Clear();
|
| In the Style section of your page add:
| .Hidden {display:none;}
| --
| HTH,
| Phillip Williams
| http://www.societopia.net
| http://www.webswapp.com
|

| "STech" wrote:
|
| > How can I hide a DataListItem from a datalist. I have tried the
PreRender,
| > ItemCreated, ItemDatabound to hide the item but it does not work.
| >
| > I have tried both:
| > e.Item.Visible = false;
| > and
| > DataList1.Items[0].Vislble = false;
| >
| > Thanks.
| > stech

STech

Steven,
I already knew about the "hacks" Philips mentioned.

I would still like to know why I am not able to hide an item. I am even
willing to write a custom control that inherits the datalist if you could
tell me where to fix it.

Thanks,
-stech

Phillip Williams

STech said:
Steven,
I already knew about the "hacks" Philips mentioned.

I would still like to know why I am not able to hide an item. I am even
willing to write a custom control that inherits the datalist if you could
tell me where to fix it.

The purpose of the databound controls is to display the items from the data
source. Hiding an item, as you are trying to do, means in business terms,
deleting a record in the underlying datasource (e.g. when a user clicks
delete or when in the programming logic you have to delete a record) If so,
you can delete the record in the underlying datatable (or whatever other
IEnumerable object one might use). In this approach you would not have to use
“hacks†(as you referred to them) to manipulate the display of the rendered
HTML.

Phillip Williams

Hi Steve,

When I tried a datagrid and a repeater; both of them accept setting the
visible property to false on the DataGridItem or the RepeaterItem, and did
not render any HTML for the corresponding datarows.

Why does the DataListItem expose a Visible property but not utilize it? It
is a bug that is to be corrected in future releases or is it there by design
for a reason?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thank you for your further investigation Phillip,

As for the inconsistent behavior between DataListItem and DataGridItem,
RepeaterItem, think this is a bug and based on my further testing I'm
afraid it still exists in the in the new 2.0 version. I'll report this
request to our dev team so as to address it soon.

Hi Stech,

I'm afraid due to the current limitation, the DataListItem's visble dosn't
work as expected due to some internal bug in the render method (which is
hidden through interface ...). Currently you can consider Philip's
suggestion on adjusting the datasource collection or use the css style to
hide the item.

Sorry for the inconvenience it brings you.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbGxpcCBXaWxsaWFtcw==?="
<[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Hide DataList Item
| Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:17:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| "STech" wrote:
|

| > Steven,
| > I already knew about the "hacks" Philips mentioned.
| >
| > I would still like to know why I am not able to hide an item. I am even
| > willing to write a custom control that inherits the datalist if you
could
| > tell me where to fix it.
|
| The purpose of the databound controls is to display the items from the
data
| source. Hiding an item, as you are trying to do, means in business
terms,
| deleting a record in the underlying datasource (e.g. when a user clicks
| delete or when in the programming logic you have to delete a record) If
so,
| you can delete the record in the underlying datatable (or whatever other
| IEnumerable object one might use). In this approach you would not have to
use
| “hacks�(as you referred to them) to manipulate the display of the
rendered
| HTML.
|
| --
| HTH,
| Phillip Williams
| http://www.societopia.net
| http://www.webswapp.com

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Stech,

After some further research, the problem of the DataList's
DataListItem.Visible property is utilized only when the RepeatLayout is set
to "Flow" rather than "Table". When the RepeatLayout is set to "Table",
the Visible property is ignored.
Please have a try to see whether this helps.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 02:29:10 GMT
| Subject: RE: Hide DataList Item
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Thank you for your further investigation Phillip,
|
| As for the inconsistent behavior between DataListItem and DataGridItem,
| RepeaterItem, think this is a bug and based on my further testing I'm
| afraid it still exists in the in the new 2.0 version. I'll report this
| request to our dev team so as to address it soon.
|
| Hi Stech,
|
| I'm afraid due to the current limitation, the DataListItem's visble
dosn't
| work as expected due to some internal bug in the render method (which is
| hidden through interface ...). Currently you can consider Philip's
| suggestion on adjusting the datasource collection or use the css style
| hide the item.
|
| Sorry for the inconvenience it brings you.
|
| Regards,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: "=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbGxpcCBXaWxsaWFtcw==?="
| <[email protected]>
| | Subject: RE: Hide DataList Item
| | Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:17:02 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| |
| | "STech" wrote:
| |

| | > Steven,
| | > I already knew about the "hacks" Philips mentioned.
| | >
| | > I would still like to know why I am not able to hide an item. I am
even
| | > willing to write a custom control that inherits the datalist if you
| could
| | > tell me where to fix it.
| |
| | The purpose of the databound controls is to display the items from the
| data
| | source. Hiding an item, as you are trying to do, means in business
| terms,
| | deleting a record in the underlying datasource (e.g. when a user clicks
| | delete or when in the programming logic you have to delete a record)
If
| so,
| | you can delete the record in the underlying datatable (or whatever
other
| | IEnumerable object one might use). In this approach you would not have
| use
| | “hacks�(as you referred to them) to manipulate the display of the
| rendered
| | HTML.
| |
| | --
| | HTH,
| | Phillip Williams
| | http://www.societopia.net
| | http://www.webswapp.com
| |
| |
| |
| |

STech

Thank you Steven for looking that up. Hope they fix that bug soon. I can
take it from here by writing a custom control and have that in place till you
guys fix the bug.

Please close this incident.
Thanks again.

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Stech,

After some further research, the problem of the DataList's
DataListItem.Visible property is utilized only when the RepeatLayout is set
to "Flow" rather than "Table". When the RepeatLayout is set to "Table",
the Visible property is ignored.
Please have a try to see whether this helps.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 02:29:10 GMT
| Subject: RE: Hide DataList Item
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Thank you for your further investigation Phillip,
|
| As for the inconsistent behavior between DataListItem and DataGridItem,
| RepeaterItem, think this is a bug and based on my further testing I'm
| afraid it still exists in the in the new 2.0 version. I'll report this
| request to our dev team so as to address it soon.
|
| Hi Stech,
|
| I'm afraid due to the current limitation, the DataListItem's visble
dosn't
| work as expected due to some internal bug in the render method (which is
| hidden through interface ...). Currently you can consider Philip's
| suggestion on adjusting the datasource collection or use the css style
| hide the item.
|
| Sorry for the inconvenience it brings you.
|
| Regards,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: "=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbGxpcCBXaWxsaWFtcw==?="
| <[email protected]>
| | Subject: RE: Hide DataList Item
| | Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:17:02 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| |
| | "STech" wrote:
| |

| | > Steven,
| | > I already knew about the "hacks" Philips mentioned.
| | >
| | > I would still like to know why I am not able to hide an item. I am
even
| | > willing to write a custom control that inherits the datalist if you
| could
| | > tell me where to fix it.
| |
| | The purpose of the databound controls is to display the items from the
| data
| | source. Hiding an item, as you are trying to do, means in business
| terms,
| | deleting a record in the underlying datasource (e.g. when a user clicks
| | delete or when in the programming logic you have to delete a record)
If
| so,
| | you can delete the record in the underlying datatable (or whatever
other
| | IEnumerable object one might use). In this approach you would not have
| use
| | “hacks�(as you referred to them) to manipulate the display of the
| rendered
| | HTML.
| |
| | --
| | HTH,
| | Phillip Williams
| | http://www.societopia.net
| | http://www.webswapp.com
| |
| |
| |
| |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response.

Yes, and if possible, you can use the "Flow" layout currently so as to
avoid the problem. Anyway, it's my pleasure working with you. Thanks again
for your understanding.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?U1RlY2g=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Hide DataList Item
| Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:42:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|

| Thank you Steven for looking that up. Hope they fix that bug soon. I can
| take it from here by writing a custom control and have that in place till
you
| guys fix the bug.
|
| Please close this incident.
| Thanks again.
|

| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hi Stech,
| >
| > After some further research, the problem of the DataList's
| > DataListItem.Visible property is utilized only when the RepeatLayout is
set
| > to "Flow" rather than "Table". When the RepeatLayout is set to
"Table",
| > the Visible property is ignored.
| > Please have a try to see whether this helps.
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| > | Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 02:29:10 GMT
| > | Subject: RE: Hide DataList Item
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| > |
| > | Thank you for your further investigation Phillip,
| > |
| > | As for the inconsistent behavior between DataListItem and
DataGridItem,
| > | RepeaterItem, think this is a bug and based on my further testing
I'm
| > | afraid it still exists in the in the new 2.0 version. I'll report
this
| > | request to our dev team so as to address it soon.
| > |
| > | Hi Stech,
| > |
| > | I'm afraid due to the current limitation, the DataListItem's visble
| > dosn't
| > | work as expected due to some internal bug in the render method (which
is
| > | hidden through interface ...). Currently you can consider Philip's
| > | suggestion on adjusting the datasource collection or use the css
style
| > | hide the item.
| > |
| > | Sorry for the inconvenience it brings you.
| > |
| > | Regards,
| > |
| > | Steven Cheng
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| > | rights.)
| > |
| > |
| > |