Hide download site

Pippi

I currently have a website of funny downloads
(http://home.cogeco.ca/~pippi/). I have used all of the storage space that
my web provider has allocated to me and cannot afford to pay for more. I
currently host an FTP server for files located on my personal drive. Now,
here's my question...rather than having a download with an Http hyperlink is
there anyway that I can have an FTP hyperlink however have the login ID and
password hidden??? I am still pretty new at the website creation process so
any help, comments or suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks so
very much!
Pippi (and before anyone tries to call me "mate", I'm a girl)

Pippi

lol...

Thanks so much. I guess I was hoping that there was more to it! Oh well,
wishful thinking, I guess.

rf

<crosspost snipped>

Pippi said:
I currently have a website of funny downloads
(http://home.cogeco.ca/~pippi/). I have used all of the storage space that
my web provider has allocated to me and cannot afford to pay for more. I
currently host an FTP server for files located on my personal drive.

Very dangerous. I hope you have an adequate firewall and all the latest
service releases and security patches in place :)

Also look into your ISP's terms of service. Many do not allow running a
server on your system.
Now,
here's my question...rather than having a download with an Http hyperlink is
there anyway that I can have an FTP hyperlink however have the login ID and
password hidden???

As others have told you, no. Why not just run an HTTP server. Much easier to
deal with than FTP and you don't need to bother with passwords. However see
above. Also, you will need a static IP address. Do you have one?

Cheers
Richard.

Pippi

Some very good points. Thanks!

Hmmm...you might be right about the ISP not allowing a server. I do have a
firewall and am always concerned about security. As for http server, that
would be my preference however I don't have the money to pay for the
additional storage space the free ones do not allow files larger than 1 meg.

Thanks so much for your comments.
Leeza

rf

Pippi said:
Some very good points. Thanks!

Hmmm...you might be right about the ISP not allowing a server. I do have a
firewall and am always concerned about security. As for http server, that
would be my preference however I don't have the money to pay for the
additional storage space the free ones do not allow files larger than 1
meg.

Er, Apache is free and it's used by most of the web hosts out there. No
limit on file size. However, if you are serving 1M files from your own
computer then your ISP _will_ get cranky with you :)

Cheers
Richard.

Pippi

Yes that was my thinking however I have not been able to find any free
webspace that allows you to upload files larger than 1 meg. Do you know of
one?

Sid Ismail

: Yes that was my thinking however I have not been able to find any free
: webspace that allows you to upload files larger than 1 meg. Do you know of
: one?

Use google, and peruse the replies to "free webspace"

Sid

rf

Sid Ismail said:
: Yes that was my thinking however I have not been able to find any free
: webspace that allows you to upload files larger than 1 meg. Do you know of
: one?

Use google, and peruse the replies to "free webspace"

Better yet pay for some proper hosting. Most inexpensive hosts charge per
year, for a little site, less than the cost of dinner out for two, excluding
the grogs.

Cheers
Richard.

dj

Pippi said:
I currently have a website of funny downloads
(http://home.cogeco.ca/~pippi/). I have used all of the storage space that
my web provider has allocated to me and cannot afford to pay for more. I
currently host an FTP server for files located on my personal drive. Now,
here's my question...rather than having a download with an Http hyperlink is
there anyway that I can have an FTP hyperlink however have the login ID and
password hidden??? I am still pretty new at the website creation process so
any help, comments or suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks so
very much!
Pippi (and before anyone tries to call me "mate", I'm a girl)
if you setup the 'anonymous' ftp account, you dont need to include a
menaingful user name or password in the url.

the server should automatically chroot the directory that you are making
available, or will at least give instructions on how to do it.

firewalling is a good idea because once you put your ip address out there
you have a greater chance of becoming a target.

Leeza

(e-mail address removed) says...
I currently have a website of funny downloads
(http://home.cogeco.ca/~pippi/). I have used all of the storage space
that my web provider has allocated to me and cannot afford to pay for more. I
Why not get some free webspace at another provider & http link to files
there?
Yes that was my thinking however I have not been able to find any free
webspace that allows you to upload files larger than 1 meg. Do you know of
one? ...
"Jacqui or (maybe) Pete" <[email protected]> says...
Sure, I just uploaded a 2Mb file to haxorz.porjes.com which is at a free
host: http://illfuckinghostit.com/ - I'm sure there are others with less
rude names...

Could you read this when you have a moment?

http://www.xs4all.nl/~wijnands/nnq/nquote.html

Thank-you very much. Great information!

Bryan Walls

Anyone know how Apple does the ticker on their page <http://www.apple.com/>?
I realize that it's just an animated gif, but anyone know what tool they
use to build the gif? There's sort of a shutter effect -- a string of
text slowly revealed, and then you see it all for a while.

Fox

Bryan said:
Anyone know how Apple does the ticker on their page <http://www.apple.com/>?
I realize that it's just an animated gif, but anyone know what tool they
use to build the gif? There's sort of a shutter effect -- a string of
text slowly revealed, and then you see it all for a while.

Considering it's Apple, they probably have proprietary software that
will take strings of headlines and compile them into animated gifs (now
that the patent has expired).

OR

They use Adobe Imageready or LiveMotion [which will compile into
animated gifs if you don't need flash]. The text "looks" like what you'd
get in LiveMotion (that would be my choice for rapidly developing this
type of thing). btw -- the shutter effect is not all that smooth -- it
reveals "chunks" of words at a time [looks like a maximum of 6 (maybe 7)
frames per line revealed].

There are probably a number of other tools that could be used as well.