    any help, comments or suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks so
    very much!
    Pippi (and before anyone tries to call me "mate", I'm a girl)

    Pippi, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Pippi

    Pippi Guest

    lol...

    Thanks so much. I guess I was hoping that there was more to it! Oh well,
    wishful thinking, I guess.

    "Fletch" <> wrote in message
    > G'day Mate
    >
    > "Pippi"
    > > I currently have a website of funny downloads
    > > (http://home.cogeco.ca/~pippi/). I have used all of the storage space

    that
    > > my web provider has allocated to me and cannot afford to pay for more. I
    > > currently host an FTP server for files located on my personal drive.

    Now,
    > > here's my question...rather than having a download with an Http

    hyperlink
    > is
    > > there anyway that I can have an FTP hyperlink however have the login ID

    > and
    > > password hidden???

    > You cannot hide the link - otherwise the users' browser wouldn't know

    where

    Pippi, Jul 18, 2003

  3. Pippi

    rf Guest

    <crosspost snipped>

    "Pippi" <> wrote in message
    > I currently have a website of funny downloads
    > (http://home.cogeco.ca/~pippi/). I have used all of the storage space that
    > my web provider has allocated to me and cannot afford to pay for more. I
    > currently host an FTP server for files located on my personal drive.

    Very dangerous. I hope you have an adequate firewall and all the latest
    service releases and security patches in place :)

    Also look into your ISP's terms of service. Many do not allow running a
    server on your system.

    > Now,
    > here's my question...rather than having a download with an Http hyperlink

    is
    > there anyway that I can have an FTP hyperlink however have the login ID

    and
    > password hidden???

    As others have told you, no. Why not just run an HTTP server. Much easier to
    deal with than FTP and you don't need to bother with passwords. However see
    above. Also, you will need a static IP address. Do you have one?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 18, 2003
  4. Pippi

    Pippi Guest

    Some very good points. Thanks!

    Hmmm...you might be right about the ISP not allowing a server. I do have a
    firewall and am always concerned about security. As for http server, that
    would be my preference however I don't have the money to pay for the
    additional storage space the free ones do not allow files larger than 1 meg.

    Thanks so much for your comments.
    Leeza

    Pippi, Jul 18, 2003
  5. Pippi

    rf Guest

    "Pippi" <> wrote in message
    > Some very good points. Thanks!
    >
    > Hmmm...you might be right about the ISP not allowing a server. I do have a
    > firewall and am always concerned about security. As for http server, that
    > would be my preference however I don't have the money to pay for the
    > additional storage space the free ones do not allow files larger than 1

    meg.

    Er, Apache is free and it's used by most of the web hosts out there. No
    limit on file size. However, if you are serving 1M files from your own
    computer then your ISP _will_ get cranky with you :)

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 18, 2003
  6. In article <WHIRa.1984$>,
    says...
    > I currently have a website of funny downloads
    > (http://home.cogeco.ca/~pippi/). I have used all of the storage space that
    > my web provider has allocated to me and cannot afford to pay for more. I

    Why not get some free webspace at another provider & http link to files
    there?

    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jul 18, 2003
  7. Pippi

    Pippi Guest

    Yes that was my thinking however I have not been able to find any free
    webspace that allows you to upload files larger than 1 meg. Do you know of
    one?

    Pippi, Jul 18, 2003
  8. Pippi

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 06:59:19 -0400, "Pippi" <> wrote:

    : Yes that was my thinking however I have not been able to find any free
    : webspace that allows you to upload files larger than 1 meg. Do you know of
    : one?

    Use google, and peruse the replies to "free webspace"

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Jul 18, 2003
  9. In article <jvQRa.2049$>,
    says...

    > "Jacqui or (maybe) Pete" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <WHIRa.1984$>,
    > > says...
    > > > I currently have a website of funny downloads
    > > > (http://home.cogeco.ca/~pippi/). I have used all of the storage space

    > that
    > > > my web provider has allocated to me and cannot afford to pay for more. I

    > > Why not get some free webspace at another provider & http link to files
    > > there?
    > >

    > Yes that was my thinking however I have not been able to find any free
    > webspace that allows you to upload files larger than 1 meg. Do you know of
    > one?

    Sure, I just uploaded a 2Mb file to haxorz.porjes.com which is at a free
    host: http://illfuckinghostit.com/ - I'm sure there are others with less
    rude names...

    Could you read this when you have a moment?

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~wijnands/nnq/nquote.html

    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jul 18, 2003
  10. Pippi

    rf Guest

    "Sid Ismail" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 06:59:19 -0400, "Pippi" <> wrote:
    >
    > : Yes that was my thinking however I have not been able to find any free
    > : webspace that allows you to upload files larger than 1 meg. Do you know

    of
    > : one?
    >

    > Use google, and peruse the replies to "free webspace"

    Better yet pay for some proper hosting. Most inexpensive hosts charge per
    year, for a little site, less than the cost of dinner out for two, excluding
    the grogs.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 18, 2003
  11. Pippi

    dj Guest

    "Pippi" <> wrote in message
    > I currently have a website of funny downloads
    > (http://home.cogeco.ca/~pippi/). I have used all of the storage space that
    > my web provider has allocated to me and cannot afford to pay for more. I
    > currently host an FTP server for files located on my personal drive. Now,
    > here's my question...rather than having a download with an Http hyperlink

    is
    > there anyway that I can have an FTP hyperlink however have the login ID

    and
    > password hidden??? I am still pretty new at the website creation process

    so
    > any help, comments or suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks so
    > very much!
    > Pippi (and before anyone tries to call me "mate", I'm a girl)

    if you setup the 'anonymous' ftp account, you dont need to include a
    menaingful user name or password in the url.

    the server should automatically chroot the directory that you are making
    available, or will at least give instructions on how to do it.

    firewalling is a good idea because once you put your ip address out there
    you have a greater chance of becoming a target.

    dj, Jul 19, 2003
  12. Pippi

    Leeza Guest

    > says...
    > I currently have a website of funny downloads
    > (http://home.cogeco.ca/~pippi/). I have used all of the storage space
    > that my web provider has allocated to me and cannot afford to pay for

    more. I
    > Why not get some free webspace at another provider & http link to files
    > there?
    > Yes that was my thinking however I have not been able to find any free
    > webspace that allows you to upload files larger than 1 meg. Do you know of
    > one?

    > "Jacqui or (maybe) Pete" <> says...
    >Sure, I just uploaded a 2Mb file to haxorz.porjes.com which is at a free
    > host: http://illfuckinghostit.com/ - I'm sure there are others with less
    > rude names...
    >
    > Could you read this when you have a moment?
    >
    > http://www.xs4all.nl/~wijnands/nnq/nquote.html

    Thank-you very much. Great information!

    Leeza, Jul 24, 2003
  13. Pippi

    Bryan Walls Guest

    Apple ticker

    Anyone know how Apple does the ticker on their page <http://www.apple.com/>?
    I realize that it's just an animated gif, but anyone know what tool they
    use to build the gif? There's sort of a shutter effect -- a string of
    text slowly revealed, and then you see it all for a while.

    Bryan Walls, Aug 22, 2003
  14. Pippi

    Fox Guest

    Re: Apple ticker

    Bryan Walls wrote:

    > Anyone know how Apple does the ticker on their page <http://www.apple.com/>?
    > I realize that it's just an animated gif, but anyone know what tool they
    > use to build the gif? There's sort of a shutter effect -- a string of
    > text slowly revealed, and then you see it all for a while.

    Considering it's Apple, they probably have proprietary software that
    will take strings of headlines and compile them into animated gifs (now
    that the patent has expired).

    OR

    They use Adobe Imageready or LiveMotion [which will compile into
    animated gifs if you don't need flash]. The text "looks" like what you'd
    get in LiveMotion (that would be my choice for rapidly developing this
    type of thing). btw -- the shutter effect is not all that smooth -- it
    reveals "chunks" of words at a time [looks like a maximum of 6 (maybe 7)
    frames per line revealed].

    There are probably a number of other tools that could be used as well.

    Fox, Aug 23, 2003