Hide HTML Source Code

dorayme

"Samuel van Laere said:
I don't get it, under IE I use the Instant Source plugin and it displays the
source straight away.
So what is hidden??

You don't get it? Well, it is time for you to use IE without the
plugin, to use FF (and some other browsers) and simply View
Source.

You make a mistake that is similar in one crucial respect to a
naive but classy chess player who knocks over the local pub champ
and thinks, what is so great about him?

Andrew

On 29 May 2007 06:14:07 -0700
Hiding HTML source code is possible.

[...]

I believe that the desire to hide the source code of a site is
usually inversely proportionate to the actual worth of that source
code.

Andrew

Blinky the Shark

Samuel said:
I don't get it, under IE I use the Instant Source plugin and it displays the
source straight away.
So what is hidden??

The basis of the assertions that the page is hidden.

JD

Andrew said:
On 29 May 2007 06:14:07 -0700
Hiding HTML source code is possible.

[...]

I believe that the desire to hide the source code of a site is
usually inversely proportionate to the actual worth of that source
code.

What is the worth of HTML source anyway? I mean, make a page available
on the Web, and a million web developers could exactly duplicate the
look and behaviour of the page without ever seeing the code. Indeed, if
I was going to 'borrow' somebody's design, I would avoid reusing the
original code in favour of deliberately re-coding the page myself,
because then it would be in my coding style and I'd understand it
intimately.

Andy Dingley

What is the worth of HTML source anyway? I mean, make a page available
on the Web, and a million web developers could exactly duplicate the
look and behaviour of the page without ever seeing the code.

Employing that million web developers would still cost me a million
sacks of peanuts though.

If a page is as complicated as eBay, then even simply copying it
represents a significant cost. Copying it from the source, compared to
copying the design and re-coding it, is a commercially significant
chunk of cost, if you're in the business of cloning eBay.

Andy Dingley

I believe that the desire to hide the source code of a site is
usually inversely proportionate to the actual worth of that source
code.

No argument with that!

Does this law have a name?

Jonathan N. Little

Cynode said:
You should try making your images unsaveable also.

I have a trick to making images impossible for someone else to save. I
don't upload them.

The same way I protect a page's html, don't publish it!

Harlan Messinger

dorayme said:
etc

On FF 2.0.0.3 on Mac, this technique gets only this on the Mac
clipboard:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<SCRIPT type="text/javascript" src="./js.js"/>
</HEAD>
<BODY/>
</HTML>
Does the DOM Inspector at least show the more detailed structure in the
tree diagram? If so, you can probably get the code behind the elements
that appear in the tree but that aren't included in the above snippet of
code.

Nikita the Spider

Cynode said:
You should try making your images unsaveable also.

I have a trick to making images impossible for someone else to save. I
don't upload them.

Ah, you can do better than that. For instance, I don't even *create* the
images that I want others not to be able to save. Furthermore, I create
dummy images that look like the real thing and upload them to my Web
site.

dorayme

Harlan Messinger said:
Does the DOM Inspector at least show the more detailed structure in the
tree diagram? If so, you can probably get the code behind the elements
that appear in the tree but that aren't included in the above snippet of
code.

It is not doing this, no. But then, there may be tricks I am
unaware of with my FF DI? It would be interesting to hear if
anyone on a Mac is getting the details your way on the FF I
mentioned. (though, yesterday, it upgraded itself... to 2.0.0.4)

As I said previously, and following an earlier suggestion by
another subscriber, there is no trouble getting the code on some
other browsers using save as web archive and viewing the source.

dorayme

Nikita the Spider said:
Ah, you can do better than that. For instance, I don't even *create* the
images that I want others not to be able to save. Furthermore, I create
dummy images that look like the real thing and upload them to my Web
site.

May I get into this little competition? I create the dummy images
to outfox the users and then the coupe de grace: I deliberately
don't even load these up to the server.

(Hi there Nikita...)

dorayme

Cynode said:
ok! I don't even THINK of the image, and if I absolutely must, I wear
a tinfoil hat. you can not breach my tinfoil hat.

You would have to have thought of it in the first place as a
condition for deliberately not uploading it. And unguardedly too,
otherwise what would cause you to reach for the hat? I am sorry,
Cynode, but you leave a breach in your defences, however fleeting.

JD

dorayme said:
You would have to have thought of it in the first place as a
condition for deliberately not uploading it. And unguardedly too,
otherwise what would cause you to reach for the hat? I am sorry,
Cynode, but you leave a breach in your defences, however fleeting.

Cynode could get around that by wearing the hat all of the time.

Jonathan N. Little

Cynode said:
ok! I don't even THINK of the image, and if I absolutely must, I wear
a tinfoil hat. you can not breach my tinfoil hat.

Remember the shiny side *must* go towards the outside to be effective.

Ed Mullen

dorayme said:
May I get into this little competition? I create the dummy images
to outfox the users and then the coupe de grace: I deliberately
don't even load these up to the server.

(Hi there Nikita...)

Images? I don't need no stinking images!

Ok, what are images?