hide IP address

mcnewsxp

can hide my IP address in a HREF so that users don't see it in the address
bar?

tia,
mcnewsxp

Chris F.A. Johnson

can hide my IP address in a HREF so that users don't see it in the address
bar?

Not if you want anyone to be able to acess the page. It is the
browser that puts it there; you have no control over it.

Ed Mullen

Chris said:
Not if you want anyone to be able to acess the page. It is the
browser that puts it there; you have no control over it.

That was going to be my response. Then I re-read the OP. And wondered
.... "IP address ..."??? Hmm. I wonder why his site's IP address is
showing up in a browser's address bar instead of the domain name/URL.
Although, from a practical point, even if what shows is
http://domain.com it's easy enough to do a Whois lookup to get the IP
address. It's pretty tough to hide on the Net.

J.O. Aho

mcnewsxp said:
can hide my IP address in a HREF so that users don't see it in the address
bar?

You can use javascript that generates the link where you want the user
to go when clicking on the link, the user will then see an url that
looks something like:

javascript:goTo('anchor1');

I do not think you will win anything on this, if you wish to hide an
ip-number, then use some free dyndns service and you can use an url instead.

J.O. Aho

rf said:
Why?

Your IP address is common knowledge.

When making mail to fish for login/password, you want it to appear as
the link is going to the official site instead of the fake one. ;)