Hide/Mask URL in default homepage - Please help!

daniel

I'm currently in the process of modifying my site's URL to hide the
redirect path.
My objective here is that i want to mask my redirect url so that only
my domain would only appear in the URL/Address bar so when you tried
to navigate to my default homepage, the redirect path will not be
visible. Can anyone guide me how can i accomplish my goal?

Illustration:
From:
http://www.mysite.com/home/default.html

To:
http://www.mysite.com

here is my asp code:
<%@ Language=VBScript %>
<%
Response.Redirect "/home/default.html"
%>

I used the asp page in my default page content in the IIS. I tried
also server.transfer("/home/default.html") in aspx as my default page
content but a consistent error is being thrown - "Error executing
child request for home/default.html".

Note also that frames will not fit my needs since this method will
cover all the folders in my site and i dont want to do that, i would
just likt to implement this in my default home page URL.

FYI: I used IIS6.0

Thank in advance!

Cowboy \(Gregory A Beamer\)

If this was another ASPX page, you could easily use Server.Transfer. You
cannot do this with HTML, however, as Patrice has stated.

One way to mask redirects is to do it in a frameset. This will mask all
pages. The issue here is a person can still find out if they so desire. Of
course, this is something you cannot get around no matter how hard you try,
as the browser knows. It makes it harder, however.

Some have asked about changing the URL in the address bar, but it is not
exposed. This is on purpose. You will notice the hack sites place a graphic
over the address bar, but it only works when the address bar is in the exact
position they are placing the graphic. Not a wise direction anyway, as
people think HACKER.

daniel

This is likely because you can't transfer to an HTML page. Change your home
to an ASPX page and you should be fine...

(if the home page is default.html under your root site you would have
nothing to do).

--
Patrice

"daniel" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
groupe de discussion :
(e-mail address removed)...

hi Patrice,

Thanks for your reply. I cannot make the /home/ channel my root
directory because I am currently using MCMS technology. The system
restricts me from creating a posting under the root domain itself, and
even if i can make the /home/ channel my root directory, I think the
posting name "default.htm" will still display in the address bar. This
still doesnt solve my dillemma.

I am currently using asp file as my default content file in the IIS,
but this doesnt limit my modifications. I have also tried using html
file, but still resulted to no avail. Can i use javascript (that will
be embedded in the html) to mask the url? I dont want to go to the
actual output url of the script, i would just like to mask it. Thanks
in again.

daniel

If this was another ASPX page, you could easily use Server.Transfer. You
cannot do this with HTML, however, as Patrice has stated.

One way to mask redirects is to do it in a frameset. This will mask all
pages. The issue here is a person can still find out if they so desire. Of
course, this is something you cannot get around no matter how hard you try,
as the browser knows. It makes it harder, however.

Some have asked about changing the URL in the address bar, but it is not
exposed. This is on purpose. You will notice the hack sites place a graphic
over the address bar, but it only works when the address bar is in the exact
position they are placing the graphic. Not a wise direction anyway, as
people think HACKER.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Blog:http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeamer

|    Think outside the box!                            |

Hi Gregory,

Thanks for your reply...I tried to use frames but this approach
resulted to an entire site masking and I dont want to do that. I just
want to mask my home page URL - one URL, and not the entire site. Is
there an attribute/s that i need to add in the frames code that will
resolve my problem - masking only one URL? I am trying to use
javascript but still can't find the right approach to handle it, or is
this event possible? Thanks again!

Joined
Mar 8, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Masking the home page

There is a simple approach to acheive this, the exact approach depends on whether you are using IIS 6 or 7.

I acheived this recently by using a custom error handler.

When you implement the change you will be serving a 301 (permanent) redirect to a request for "/default.htm" which will take the requester to "/".

If you send me a message I will send you a link to my recent blog post which will fill in all the details.

David Woakes

I put together a brief article on doing this on IIS6 and IIS7 recently.

http://www.ancientgeek.co.uk/?p=122

On IIS 7 you just need to change the default document and rename your homepage to .asp and check request.servervariables("URL") before deciding to redirect.

IIS 6 is a little trickier as if the request is "/" it gives request.servervariables("URL") the value of the document serving the request (say "/default.asp").

David

daniel wrote:

Hide/Mask URL in default homepage - Please help!
06-Feb-09

I'm currently in the process of modifying my site's URL to hide the
redirect path.
My objective here is that i want to mask my redirect url so that only
my domain would only appear in the URL/Address bar so when you tried
to navigate to my default homepage, the redirect path will not be
visible. Can anyone guide me how can i accomplish my goal?

Illustration:
From:
http://www.mysite.com/home/default.html

To:
http://www.mysite.com

here is my asp code:
<%@ Language=VBScript %>
<%
[...]

"daniel" <[email protected]> a ?crit dans le message de
groupe de discussion :
(e-mail address removed)...

[...]

From:
http://www.mysite.com/home/default.html

To:
http://www.mysite.com

here is my asp code:
<%@ Language=VBScript %>
<%
Response.Redirect "/home/default.html"
%>

I used the asp page in my default page content in the IIS. I tried
also server.transfer("/home/default.html") in aspx as my default page
content but a consistent error is being thrown - "Error executing
child request for home/default.html".

Note also that frames will not fit my needs since this method will
cover all the folders in my site and i dont want to do that, i would
just likt to implement this in my default home page URL.

FYI: I used IIS6.0

Thank in advance!

Re: Hide/Mask URL in default homepage - Please help!
On Feb 5, 4:47=A0pm, "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/> wrote:
me

hi Patrice,

Thanks for your reply. I cannot make the /home/ channel my root
directory because I am currently using MCMS technology. The system
restricts me from creating a posting under the root domain itself, and
even if i can make the /home/ channel my root directory, I think the
posting name "default.htm" will still display in the address bar. This
still doesnt solve my dillemma.

I am currently using asp file as my default content file in the IIS,
but this doesnt limit my modifications. I have also tried using html
file, but still resulted to no avail. Can i use javascript (that will
be embedded in the html) to mask the url? I dont want to go to the
actual output url of the script, i would just like to mask it. Thanks
in again.

Re: Hide/Mask URL in default homepage - Please help!
On Feb 5, 9:06=A0pm, "Cowboy \(Gregory A Beamer\)"
y,
ic
act
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

Hi Gregory,

Thanks for your reply...I tried to use frames but this approach
resulted to an entire site masking and I dont want to do that. I just
want to mask my home page URL - one URL, and not the entire site. Is
there an attribute/s that i need to add in the frames code that will
resolve my problem - masking only one URL? I am trying to use
javascript but still can't find the right approach to handle it, or is
this event possible? Thanks again!

Making Silverlight Emulate Synchronous Requests
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...1-c5c717c9b184/making-silverlight-emulat.aspx

David Woakes

http://www.ancientgeek.co.uk/2010/03/06/mask-default-home-page-in-iis/

David Woakes wrote:

Mask URL in default homepage
08-Mar-10

I put together a brief article on doing this on IIS6 and IIS7 recently.

http://www.ancientgeek.co.uk/?p=122

On IIS 7 you just need to change the default document and rename your homepage to .asp and check request.servervariables("URL") before deciding to redirect.

IIS 6 is a little trickier as if the request is "/" it gives request.servervariables("URL") the value of the document serving the request (say "/default.asp").

David

This is likely because you can't transfer to an HTML page.
This is likely because you can't transfer to an HTML page. Change your home
to an ASPX page and you should be fine..

(if the home page is default.html under your root site you would have
nothing to do)

-
Patric

[...]

MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DB

Blog
http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeame

Hide/Mask URL in default homepage - Please help!
I'm currently in the process of modifying my site's URL to hide th
redirect path
My objective here is that i want to mask my redirect url so that onl
my domain would only appear in the URL/Address bar so when you trie
to navigate to my default homepage, the redirect path will not b
visible. Can anyone guide me how can i accomplish my goal

Illustration
From
http://www.mysite.com/home/default.htm

http://www.mysite.co

[...]