    page on the IE? I don't know if it is related to "HtmlEncode"? Can someone
    give an example?

    Thanks. !!
    Laurahn, Jan 13, 2007

  2. I'm not sure what you mean by physical application path. Typically the
    physical application path is not available on IE as it's a server function,
    usually found through the server.mappath because it returns the physical
    location of the page on the server, such as c:\inetpub\wwwroot\website.

    If you mean the URL in the browser location window, there's no way to hide
    this directly. The only way you could attempt it is to place the page within
    a frame or an iframe, but these have a number of issues on their own. Also,
    it's still possible to find out where the application is coming from because
    you can just look at the html code for the iframe or frameset to determine
    what the base url is.

    --

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Jan 13, 2007

  3. You can use trickery to change the URL in the address, but it is not 100%. I
    would not rely on this, as it fails more than it succeeds.

    If you want to hide pages, you can create a single page as an "engine" to
    serve up other pages (HTML, for example). If you want to create "fake" URLs,
    you can use an HTTPHandler to redirect on your end to the page.

    If you are trying to stop someone from saving the URL as a favorite, even a
    faked URL can be saved.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Jan 13, 2007
  4. Hi,

    Laurahn wrote:
    > How can i hide the real URL (i mean the Physical Application Path) of a web
    > page on the IE? I don't know if it is related to "HtmlEncode"? Can someone
    > give an example?
    >
    > Thanks. !!

    Like Gregory said, URL rewriting is possible, but that still means that
    the URL exists and can be reached.

    As an add-on, HtmlEncode has nothing to do with this. This method is
    there to encode special characters in their "web-safe" version. For
    example, a white space character will be replaced by %20, which is the
    corresponding code.

    See
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/w3te6wfz.aspx

    Greetings,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]
    Laurent Bugnion [MVP], Jan 13, 2007
  5. I haven't seen Server.Transfer mentioned yet.
    If you use Server.Transfer to send another page to the user, the browser
    (and therefore the user) is never informed of the real address of that new
    page.
    Here's more info:
    http://SteveOrr.net/faq/TransferRedirect.aspx

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,

    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider], Jan 14, 2007