Hide Real URL

Laurahn

How can i hide the real URL (i mean the Physical Application Path) of a web
page on the IE? I don't know if it is related to "HtmlEncode"? Can someone
give an example?

Thanks. !!

Mark Fitzpatrick

I'm not sure what you mean by physical application path. Typically the
physical application path is not available on IE as it's a server function,
usually found through the server.mappath because it returns the physical
location of the page on the server, such as c:\inetpub\wwwroot\website.

If you mean the URL in the browser location window, there's no way to hide
this directly. The only way you could attempt it is to place the page within
a frame or an iframe, but these have a number of issues on their own. Also,
it's still possible to find out where the application is coming from because
you can just look at the html code for the iframe or frameset to determine
what the base url is.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

You can use trickery to change the URL in the address, but it is not 100%. I
would not rely on this, as it fails more than it succeeds.

If you want to hide pages, you can create a single page as an "engine" to
serve up other pages (HTML, for example). If you want to create "fake" URLs,
you can use an HTTPHandler to redirect on your end to the page.

If you are trying to stop someone from saving the URL as a favorite, even a
faked URL can be saved.

Laurent Bugnion [MVP]

Hi,
How can i hide the real URL (i mean the Physical Application Path) of a web
page on the IE? I don't know if it is related to "HtmlEncode"? Can someone
give an example?

Thanks. !!

Like Gregory said, URL rewriting is possible, but that still means that
the URL exists and can be reached.

As an add-on, HtmlEncode has nothing to do with this. This method is
there to encode special characters in their "web-safe" version. For
example, a white space character will be replaced by %20, which is the
corresponding code.

See
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/w3te6wfz.aspx

Greetings,